Trolling Motor Selection

bgreen1347

Trolling Motor Selection

Post by bgreen1347 »

I've been working on a Jon boat to Bass boat project for a little while, and I realize it's a small boat, but for the time being, I'd prefer to Overpower it rather than Underpower it while selecting a trolling motor.

I've grown comfortable using Minn Kota motors because most of my fishing friends do, but I'm open to suggestion. My buddy and I recently noticed some performance issues when he attempted to use an HDS 5 with his MK Power Drive V2. The transducer mount and the movement of the shaft didn't cooperate, and getting an image was nearly impossible. My friend suggested that maybe it would work better with a cable steer motor.

I intend to put an Elite 4-DSI on my boat eventually. Can anyone throw me an opinion on whether I would see better imaging results with a cable steer MK Edge or Maxxum or with a Power Drive or Power Drive V2? I'm still learning a lot of this stuff, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
scottsweet

Re: Trolling Motor Selection

Post by scottsweet »

Check out this video from Doug on mounting the transducer cable in to the power driven trolling motors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6jMpWt545Q

You do not have the side imaging transducer, but the installation is the basically the same. I am almost sure the Powerdrive trolling motor has the groove in the shaft like the Terrova.

The other option is to get the tm with the US2 transducer.
Scott Sweet

www.teamccmarine.com
www.rangerboats.com
www.humminbird.com
www.minnkotamotors.com
www.lews.com
www.phenixrods.com
www.odysseybattery.com
www.simmsfishing.com
www.peregrine250.com
minnkotaman

Re: Trolling Motor Selection

Post by minnkotaman »

wrong,,, the terrovia and the power drive are 2 compleatly different motors.
the power drive does not have a channel in the shaft.
jim l.