old trolling motor question

milehi

old trolling motor question

Post by milehi »

I have a '96 motor guide, I believe 50 something pound thrust, that I think is going away. Have 2 fairly new batteries, can't afford Trojans anymore, but ones I've used before that have been alright. After about 4 hours really starts losing power, like the batteries are wearing down, but have put them on a commercial charger before and after and they test good, 100%. 12.5 before and 8.5 and good voltage after a 6+ hour day. My question is do they just get to old? I've looked for shorts and not found any, was rigged at anglers so know it was done well. someone said it sounded like it was only running on 12 but both batteries tested the same so that can't be right. I'm a senior living on a fairly fixed income and can't spring for a new one now, any input would be great
Burke

Re: old trolling motor question

Post by Burke »

Have you checked the water level on the battery? My cousin was having the same problem and we checked the water level. A couple of the cells were dry and others were not full. Once we filled them, the trolling motor ran longer.

Also, we let the battery charge until we take the boat out of the garage.
george

Post by george »

Hey Milehi,

Where do you live? If you are in central Cal. I have a guy who can test the batteries for you and tell you for sure what is going on! Like Burke said if you are still showing 12.5 volts on one and 8.0 on the second you may have an issue with your system not drawing both batteries at the same rate; which could be anything from they are not wired properly to one of the batteries having an internal issue.
Both the batteries should test out at 12.0-13.0 volts on a full charge and both should be with in the same range at the end of the day; let say 8.0-9.0 volts.

Call Norvel Pimentel at 209-649-4070, he is one of the most knowledgeable battery guys out there and he can give you an idea of what is going on with them and maybe help you figure out the situation.

Tell him George told you to call!

George Azevedo
milehi

Post by milehi »

thanks you guys. that is exactly where it tests out, George. my neighbor own a auto shop and I used his good tester on it, and anglers wired it so I'm sure its right. always check the water levels.The side switch to go from 12 to 24 broke off in 24 years ago
milehi

Post by milehi »

George, I read your post wrong, both batteries test exactly the same, 12.5 before 8 to 9 after.
JLS (Jay Liu's Service)

Post by JLS (Jay Liu's Service) »

Milehi I can explain every thing to you, but I rather do it by phone. Your batteries are consider half dead at 12.5 volts. They will test good with a load tester, but does not have enough storage to run all day. Call me at 530 246-8051 and I can explain it to you better. JLS (Jay Liu's Service) Trolling motor repairs.
george

Post by george »

Milehi, give J Lu a call he is the best in the business and can explain the entire situation too you.

George
milehi

Post by milehi »

thanks George and jay, I will give jay a call today or tomorrow. again, thanks much
milehi

Post by milehi »

jay is a real good guy, took care of me in a way even I understood. thanks again Jay