Kramer's Top 40 List is Out!!

Caudawg

Kramer's Top 40 List is Out!!

Post by Caudawg »

Here we go again. It's that time of year when we get to argue about who should have been on that list. Here it is:

http://kramergonefishing.com/2013/11/11 ... s-anglers/
John Caulfield
Big Rock Sports- Territory Sales Manager (Norcal)
Freelance Outdoor Writer
bryanmc

Re: Kramer's Top 40 List is Out!!

Post by bryanmc »

You got number 1 right for sure! Michels is an animal.
george

Post by george »

How can one person put out a list of the top 40 bass anglers in the west and it hold any water with the rest of the bass fishing anglers out there, each one of us would have our own opinion of what the top forty should look like if it is based on objective opinion and not hard numbers; sort of like asking someone to rate their top 40 songs of all time; each will be different.

George Kramer is definitely an expert on fishing but how can he put a list together rating the best anglers in California or the west when he can only base it on his objective opinion and acquaintance with each.

There are a lot of great fisherman in Nor-Cal, Central Cal and So Cal who Mr. Kramer does not even know exist.
I think it would be better to go by the numbers; tournament numbers, events fished, checks cashed and showings.
There is a great difference in what an angler does in the sport and what he or she does for the sport and these all should be factored together to come up with a list of the top anglers in the state.
There are great anglers and there are great pitch men out there and this list should be based on the angling side of the mix not how good of a salesman they are of how pretty of a mug they have.

In my opinion Ish, Skeet and Brent or some of the best in the country and what they do for promoting bass fishing as a whole is crazy and they should be on the top of this list, but what are the criteria's?
Must they live in California or they have to have originated in the west or what.

Who cares if someone or anyone likes you or what they think about you as a person; (Bill Simentel is about as straight up as they get and has always been open with me about how to fish any lake or body of water out there, yet a few people don't care for him, why should that take away from his ranking, he can hold his own in any competition out there. I have talked to him on several occasions and I am only an acquaintance with him put I think he is a pretty good guy.)

The numbers alone will show what you have accomplished and that will place you in this top list of anglers.
No one can produce a true list of the top forty anglers in the area, region, state or country unless they have absolute facts and numbers, anything other then that is a popularity contest and not a rating of the best.

I think that if you could truly come up with a list based on hard numbers and facts of the best angler/anglers in the west than Western Bass should have sponsorship of this individual for the up coming season. This angler would carry the Western Bass name and be a spokesman for promotion of the site, much like Miss California and Miss USA do for the state and country and be just a bit more articulate and know the geography of the state. :D

George Azevedo
fish_food

Post by fish_food »

george wrote:No one can produce a true list of the top forty anglers in the area, region, state or country unless they have absolute facts and numbers, anything other then that is a popularity contest and not a rating of the best.
But the fun is in the trying, and that's exactly what Kramer's been doing for so long. Yes, there are infinite intangibles and other subjective criteria to be considered but as I said, the distilling of it all is the fun part and Kramer's annual results are what we look forward to...
Ron T.

Post by Ron T. »

Who cares if someone or anyone likes you or what they think about you as a person; (Bill Simentel is about as straight up as they get and has always been open with me about how to fish any lake or body of water out there, yet a few people don't care for him, why should that take away from his ranking, he can hold his own in any competition out there. I have talked to him on several occasions and I am only an acquaintance with him put I think he is a pretty good guy.)

The numbers alone will show what you have accomplished and that will place you in this top list of anglers.
George Azevedo[/quote]

+++ 1
george

Post by george »

Hey fish food, I do understand that and I think George Kramer is one of the best in the business at what he does; I have met the man before and like what he stands for and teaches!
I just would really like to see a true rating system of all competitive bass anglers in the state! I don't believe for a second that the best angler in the world would be the winner of the classic or the AOY of BASS(Aron is in my top five) or the winner of the Forest Wood Cup.
A good portion of the guys in Kramers top forty belong there and the guys like Bobby Barrack and Cooch I have known for years and these guys have done more for bass fishing then most of us will do in a life time.
Every year Cooch puts on the Pro-Teen event for seventy five or more young anglers and introduces them to the sportsmanship and the competitive side of the sport.
This is growing the sport of bass fishing and to this day I don't know why you don't have sponsors jumping all over this guy; they would be getting their product directly in the faces of young anglers who are hungry for knowledge and the latest and greatest in lures and tackle, somebody is missing the boat somewhere.

I have had the chance to fish with Bobby a few times and he is far beyond any guide, this guy is a true teacher of bass fishing. I cant think of another angler who is more of a student of the sport then this guy and know he would be in my top five.
Then you look back at guys that have sort of backed away from the lime light and high level tournament competition; Don Payne, Norvel Pimentel, Don Iveino, Dee Thomas have won a ton and have taught more of us how to fish then you could ever count. These guys are some of the true legends of California bass fishing but if you don't live in the same part of the state as them you never get a chance to know who they are.
Maybe I am thinking more of a California Bass Fishing Hall of Fame than a top forty ranking but I still think you can only do it justice by putting a system in place to get a true ranking.

Please don't take what I say as any disrespect to George Kramer, he again is one of those guys that should be on the list and he is just too modest to put his name in there. I do appreciate what he does and always take the time to read his articles and use his tactics.
I guess that is why the list is called George Kramers top 40!
The only time he has ever been wrong in my book was when he told me that Lake Elsinore has bass in it! lol :D
george

Post by george »

You know how some times you talk before you think(read in this case) and put your foot right in your mouth, will I have that bad taste in my mouth right now! :oops: I went back and read "Kramers Top 40" from the start and how the list was put together and it is exactly how it should be to rank anglers in the all around category of who are the movers and shakers in the bass business.

My apologize to Mr. Kramer for me jumping the gun and not reading the original article from the top, I have always held his opinion in high regard and normally read his entire article and not just the bullet points!
[b]But I still stick by my guns on Bill Semintel, he is like the cousin that someone always has something bad to say about but never says it to his face! This guy is straight up, tells it like it is and can put it on ya when it comes to tournament time pretty much any time he wants!As well as he will always give you some info on how to fish any body of water you ask about!
George Azevedo
[/b]
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Ron T. wrote:Who cares if someone or anyone likes you or what they think about you as a person; (Bill Simentel is about as straight up as they get and has always been open with me about how to fish any lake or body of water out there, yet a few people don't care for him, why should that take away from his ranking, he can hold his own in any competition out there. I have talked to him on several occasions and I am only an acquaintance with him put I think he is a pretty good guy.)

George Azevedo
+++ 1[/quote]
+2
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY