non boater etiquette?

mikereils

non boater etiquette?

Post by mikereils »

Hey all, I am trying to figure what kind of bass clubs or tournaments to fish this upcoming year for the first time in my life as a non boater. I am just wondering what is the experience like for a non boater and what type of unwritten and written rules are out there for them? Any advice or knowledge would be greatly appreciated !
dwise

Re: non boater etiquette?

Post by dwise »

One thing to remember is not to cast over your boater's line. Watch where they cast, then make your cast.

Keep your tackle, rods, and other stuff out of the way. I hate having to move my Co-angler's stuff so I won't step on, or trip on it. Some guys don't like it when their Co-angler brings a ton of stuff, and may have a limit to the amount of rods you can put on the boat. It's always a good idea to talk to your boater before the day of the tournament to find out how much stuff you can bring on their boat, and what the boater is planning on throwing so you don't bring too many rods. Some guys with big boats don't care what you bring, but some guys with smaller boats do.

When I fish as a Co-angler, I try to limit the amount of rods I bring to six, and one bag of tackle. I also keep my trash picked up, and stowed. It makes it alot easier to clean the boat afterwards, which you will have to help the boater with after weigh in.

Also don't forget to bring your own PFD (life vest), and whatever amount of money is required to pay your non-boater fee to the boater.
D. Wise
Castaic Bass Club
Rich hamilton

Post by Rich hamilton »

Great question! There have been many like it on this forum, try the search feature and see if the old time posts come up.

It is also a good time for people to bash others :)

Three things stick out 1) good attitude 2)be on time 3) pay proper amount of money for the day which could be quite a bit, (this is where the bashing comes in) know how much the day is costing both of you. club tourney maybe throw the guy $20 bucks, FLW tourney maybe throw the guy $60 bucks. Dont ask just offer and have a good idea if you are in the ballpark.

money seems to cause most of the conflicts so eliminate that and have a good time. As far as gear goes I rarely see a co angler reach into that 500 pound bag. Have an idea of the seasonal pattern and fish your strengths. bring one small bag and you will be happy as well as the boater, More than 6 rods = tangles. Foul weather gear always. Have a watch and cell phone, know what time your weigh in is at.

Hope this helps, Richie Rich
If I don't meet you no more in this world Then I'll see you in the next one. Don't be late... Don't be late... Stevie Ray/Hendrix
Derrek Stewart

Post by Derrek Stewart »

Here is an article I wrote in 2011. Co-Angler checklists. http://thebbz.com/articles/2013/2/11/co ... checklists There is a lot of information here, too much to cover in a thread. The piece is geared towards Pro/Ams and FLW events but the essence of the back deck applies to fun fishing, the highest level tournaments and everything between including clubs.
Attachments
385953090175.png
385953090175.png (560.14 KiB) Viewed 2763 times
Stratos278

Post by Stratos278 »

I have been on both sides, as a boater and a non-boater, and now back to being a boater again. Here are a few simple rules for anyone riding in my boat:

1. Pay your fair share. This includes truck gas, if you ride with me. I'm sure most folks would rather pay for half of my gas than all of theirs.

2. NO SMOKING. Or chewing

3. No booze (this is usually a rule for everyone in a tournament anyway)

4. Don't trash my boat. Pick up after yourself.

5. Don't step on my seats

6. If I ask, help wipe down the boat. This might not be necessary every trip (Sonoma in the winter not so much, Clear Lake in the summer, definitely!

7. Watch your casts. Don't cast over my line, I will make sure you have water to fish. And don't bounce lures, sinkers, etc off of my cowling, windshield or me.

8. I don't have a whole lot of storage room in my boat, so try not to bring your whole garage with you, five or six rods plus a medium tackle bag should work. I do have enough dry storage room for your lunch, rain gear, etc.

9. If you can't back the boat into the water, let me know. I would rather walk back down the ramp after parking, than end up with you jack-knifing my boat and trailer into the dock.

10. Don't take yourself too seriously, have fun! After all that's what fishing is all about
Jim C.
"Rip Some Lips!!!!"
Randy Walker

Post by Randy Walker »

I have not been a boater for FLW or pro-am, but have had few team partners and fished the federations as a boater in the past... I agree with all that was said as well as making sure you do all you can to prevent hooks from going into the boaters seats by using lure wraps. Make sure not to have your tackle spread all over the back deck.. when your boater is ready to go you should be able to be in your seat ready by the time he pulls the trolling motor (they will appreciate it)... if they say last case or ok let's get ready to move... do just that, get ready to move... having to wait for tackle to be picked up, then life vest to be put on and then??? Time is very important on the water so be thinking about that.
If you own a boat, then just think of all the things that someone you don't know fishing off your back deck could do that may make you upset or frustrated... then don't do them. Have a conversation with the boater before blast off and try to get a feel for what they want to have happen during the day... communication is important...
~ Thanks for the support ~
Walkers Brittanys
RBBASS
www.optimabatteries.com
www.outdoorproshops.com
www.lock-n-haul.com/
www.purefishing.com
Berkley Fishing
Abu Garcia
imalures.com
optimumbaits.com
The Rod Glove http://vrxfishing.com/
mikereils

Post by mikereils »

thank you guys, really appreciate the feedback!
Revoke36

Post by Revoke36 »

This topic is a can of worms. Bottom line, be respectful and treat other peoples property with tender care. In my boat, I don't expect any financial compensation. I was going fishing anyway. I don't care if you smoke as long as you can hold yourself responsible for any potential accidents and give me the courtesy of asking first. Also don't be obnoxious about it (don't chain smoke). Other than that, don't step on my seats and bring a good attitude! Happy fishing!
Support 81
Caudawg

Post by Caudawg »

Here is an article you might like in WesternBass.com Magazine Spring 2013 Issue: http://www.westernbass.com/shared/mag_w ... index.html

For those that haven't seen these online Magazines they are FREE to anyone through this website. Just roll your mouse over the "Magazines" in the Menu bar above .
John Caulfield
Big Rock Sports- Territory Sales Manager (Norcal)
Freelance Outdoor Writer
davet.

Post by davet. »

One that sticks with me is, don't bring pop top soda cans. Only bottles with screw tops. I don't know how many cans of soda have been kicked over on my deck. :evil:
www.powerskoop.com
....it aint rocket science!