How Would You Fish Berryessa This Weekend?!

Revoke36

How Would You Fish Berryessa This Weekend?!

Post by Revoke36 »

I'm fishing berry on Friday and I'm not sure where to begin. How would you approach it? Main lake? Narrows? North? South? Feeder creeks? Deep? Shallow? I'm a delta guy so I'm a bit lost when I hit the lakes. Any tips are appreciated. Thanks
Support 81
CG

Re: How Would You Fish Berryessa This Weekend?!

Post by CG »

Don't know Berryessa all that well, but I do have some experience there this time of year. I'd be thinking pre-spawn, or really close to it.

I would start in the Narrows, hitting the points of coves on the east side, just outside of Markley Cove, working my way towards the main lake. Keep it simple on a new lake by learning this smaller defined area vs. trying to figure out the whole lake in one day - burn less gas, and get a good idea of what's happening on the water pretty quickly. Tons of different stuff to fish.

I'd throw rip baits (Staysee - shad colors), jigs (1/2 oz. football head w/ double tail grub), drop shot (take yer pick), and wacky rigged senkos (4 & 5"). Lots of good structure to fish in these areas, and some wood in the coves (might depend on water level). A trout swimbait would probably be close by, and maybe a crawdad colored crankbait. I'd work my way into some of those coves looking for cover and potential spawning areas. Depending on how that goes (probably lots of spots and smallies, potential for big largies), I'd consider moving out to the main lake, fishing around the many islands near Spanish Flat on the west side looking for a bigger bite w/ the swimbait. Totally different terrain than the Narrows area, but the same baits will work.

You'll likely find out pretty quickly if the fish are out deep on the points, or moving shallow into the coves. Should be a fun day.