Best Boat For Rough Water

Scooty06

Best Boat For Rough Water

Post by Scooty06 »

I'm looking at getting a new bass boat. I fish the Columbia River a lot and we can get some huge swells at times. I'm currently looking at the Ranger Z521, Legend 211 Alpha, Phoenix 920 & the Triton 21 Elite series.

My brother has a'98 Champion and I've fished out the front/back of this boat for years. Now its time for me to get my own. Does anyone have any info? Any input would be greatly appreciated!
bassrman

Re: Best Boat For Rough Water

Post by bassrman »

Champion !... that's all you need to think !... a 203 ,206,210 the best riding boats ever made !
smokenflames

Post by smokenflames »

You are going to get a lot of bias remarks. Your looking at the right size boat for rough water. They are all going to do alright. I have a newer Triton and rides very good on Cal delta and Clearlake in big waters. I have been in other boat in big waters and they handled well. See if you can test drive or ride in different boats and see what you like. Buy what you can afford and like. Some of it depends on the driver also. Good luck on your new boat. Keep an open mind. I can tell you a Triton is the best and I really think that, because I own one. Just my BIAS opinion. Good luck
G Pardi

Post by G Pardi »

I have a Phoenix 921. By far this is the best boat for rough water I have ever been in. My boat is almost 2 years old and I have never had any issues that would require warranty work. Great layout, great livewells systems, Great Boat.
I have owned 2 Rangers and a Basscat. I would recommend Phoenix in any size.

Check out Limit Out Marine in your area.
Bsapp

Post by Bsapp »

Champion driest best big water ride out there. These boats really take big swells well, narrow long deep V slices the big stuff and doesn't spear the big waves. 202-203-206. 95-2002.
Bsapp

Post by Bsapp »

I heard Phoenix was started by the Champion guys. Bet it's a Good ride. But where do you buy those are get those dealer serviced in Nor-Cal?
scott h

Post by scott h »

If your looking at a new boat with warranty, Phoenix all the way, a very stout built boat, awesome handling good ride and a great layout. I have been to the factory and watched them being built, top quality components and great workmanship.hands down my next boat will be a 920 or 921.I currently have a 21x which is a great boat as all of the top brands are, I have been in them all but Phoenix is one bada$$ boat with a ton of standard options and a little less coin than the other brands and the quality is 2nd to none.
BUZZBAITS IN FEBRUARY!@#$%^&*(
Champion Jon

Post by Champion Jon »

I would check out Bass Cat Boats. Their biggest boat is called a Jaguar and its HUGE...larger then all of those listed.

I run a Puma which is 20' 4" and does pretty darn good in rough water. I have not had the chance to ride in every boat so I can't say its the best......but I will say that its very good. Also an extremely dry ride. It stays dry better then a Champion...and I love Champions.

Check out their you tube videos on construction and you will see they are second to NONE. Also great customer support.

Jon
Levy

Post by Levy »

If buying used without question the best driest boat is a Champ.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Contact the manufs. to find the closest factory authorized service center.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
adman

Post by adman »

Phoenix. Period.
clearlakeoutdoors

Post by clearlakeoutdoors »

Ive always been a ranger guy but just bought a 199 legend ,way nicer ride than the 519 I had , If looking at new I would check out the new legend v-20
Dave
aNNieNsaLTIE

Post by aNNieNsaLTIE »

Scooty06 wrote:I'm looking at getting a new bass boat. I fish the Columbia River a lot and we can get some huge swells at times. I'm currently looking at the Ranger Z521, Legend 211 Alpha, Phoenix 920 & the Triton 21 Elite series.

My brother has a'98 Champion and I've fished out the front/back of this boat for years. Now its time for me to get my own. Does anyone have any info? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

IF you are buying a NEW BOAT.. spend some time and drive every boat your are interested in. New boat these days in the 20ft range are all 45k plus boats these days. If your dropping that kind of cash, test them all.

All boats can ride nice, all boats can get wet, to me boats are like a shoe. You got to see what fits you best.

I have rode and own rangers, I had a Basscat and now I am in a champ. All boats fished well, all rode great factoring the conditions i was thrown at.

All i would suggest to you is get a boat in the 20ft. bracket to acheive the best ride possible.
Scooty06

Post by Scooty06 »

Thanks a lot you guys for all the info!
TonyM

Post by TonyM »

Phoenix was started by the Stratos management after Genmar bought Stratos. They weren't happy with the new direction Genmar was taking Stratos. Delta Marine in Stockton sells 'em.
Ron T.

Post by Ron T. »

I could be wrong but I think Straos owns champion now. Not to long ago Anglers Marine were advertising that a guy could still have a brand new Champion made to order . Give Rick at Anglers marine a call if you want a Champ. I love my Champ.
Champion Jon

Post by Champion Jon »

As far a a new Champ goes,Ranger, Stratos and Champion brands went to Platinum Equity and they WERE making three(3) Champ hulls under the Stratos name. They no longer are doing this, and to the best of my knowledge the only "new" Stratos branded Champions would be left over inventory.

Good luck with boat shopping! There are no doubt many nice boats out there to choose from.
eagle123777

Post by eagle123777 »

Scooty06 wrote:I'm looking at getting a new bass boat. I fish the Columbia River a lot and we can get some huge swells at times. I'm currently looking at the Ranger Z521, Legend 211 Alpha, Phoenix 920 & the Triton 21 Elite series.

if u are looking for a new one..great..if not I wouldn't trade my 08 triton 21x2 when it comes to rough water, and we do get rough when the wind blows here in CA
jack
usaf (ret)
triton 21x2
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Call Rick Grover at Anglers Marine Anaheim and ask him. He will tell you the truth, even if it's about brands he doesn't sell.
CLEAN AND DRY
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

clearlakeoutdoors wrote:Ive always been a ranger guy but just bought a 199 legend ,way nicer ride than the 519 I had , If looking at new I would check out the new legend v-20
Dave
My Alpha 199 is a much better ride (in all areas) then my previous 2004 198 Champ. Its faster, more nimble in turns at all speeds, drier ride, and handles the bigger stuff just as good. Fit and finish is 1st rate.
~~ I'm trying to think but nothing happens ~~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8MhaihAw7I&feature=related
kb

Post by kb »

Your local dealer for Triton is Nixon's Marine and they have many guys that can get you on the water in the Triton 21XHP, 21XS or the new 21TRX. The new boat is fast, wide (95 inch beam) and rides great. Take a ride in it and make your decision. The Triton's have huge storage, livewells and are also part of the Platinum Equity family.

kb
California Outdoor Hall of Fame
Ultimate Bass Radio Saturday's on KHTK Sac Town Sports 1140
bass king

Post by bass king »

I heard those Tritons are fast enough to blow out someone's water on the delta too!!
gigotem

Post by gigotem »

all these guys are funny with those choices,but the best boat out there buy far better rough water ride is the "charger 496"check them out at chargerboats.com
scott h

Post by scott h »

gigotem wrote:all these guys are funny with those choices,but the best boat out there buy far better rough water ride is the "charger 496"check them out at chargerboats.com
I think I saw a charger once, San Joaquin river near the Antioch bridge, wind was pumping tide was Rollin out and the two guys in it were getting beat to snot.........I really can not say for sure I didn't get a good look as we were flying by in the triton...... :D lol j/k I saw one on hwy 4 last week on my way home from work, interesting looking bow on those boats, looks like it would cut the waves. And for the record I stand corrected, when I said I have been in them all (bassboats) the charger is one I have not been in.
BUZZBAITS IN FEBRUARY!@#$%^&*(
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

You should test ride all of your choices. A driver makes a big difference in rough water too. Check out Ranger's Z521C. I just came off Lake Mead and Cal Delta in last couple of weeks and both were blowing 30 MPH plus !!! 521C is AWESOME ride in rough water. You're a long ways from me for a test ride but I can probably find someone to get you on the water in 521C. PM me if I can help. Be glad to try!!!!
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Test ride, then decide.
CLEAN AND DRY
Noluk

Post by Noluk »

I cannot make a boat suggestion without some additional information but I can offer some advice and perspective. I started with saltwater boats and came to love bass fishing more. Length always matters. Usually longer is better as it lets you span across the top of more chop. In certain conditions when the wave interval is timed just right, a shorter boat may ride better or quicker. A hydraulic jackplate and a good selection of props will be a big boost to your ability to drive rough water. If you live in an area with lots of bad fishing conditions, set your boat up to run rough water. You will lose some top end speed but there is NO substitute for a 5 blade prop that you can easily turn to max rpm for keeping you on plane and being responsive to the throttle when every boat on the water is reduced to 25-30 mphs tops. These things matter on the days when every boat is going to be wet and slam.

Drivers matter a whole lot and a good driver in a boat he knows well will let you drink coffee in conditions that a bad driver in the same boat will have your hand cramping from holding onto the grab handles. The best boat for you will depend on how you like to handle the conditions. Boats are like cars. Some drive like Porsches and some drive like Lincoln Continentals. Physics apply to everyone though. If you take an object and throw it up in the air 4-5 feet at a 30% angle (like from a big boat wake) at 55 mph it is going to fly for a little bit and make you unhappy when it lands. Hopefully it also did not have and angle when you launched it and the bottom part is what lands first. Bow hooking a boat or stuffing a wave can make your day a little more interesting than it needs to be. (from a guy who tore his t-top off his saltwater boat)

Trim tabs if they can be mounted and you learn to use them effectively can be a great rough water addition.

Almost any of the good 20 foot plus boats can handle anything you should be out in. The Champs I have been in run rough water well when they are running into the swell where their deeper V can help them cut smaller stuff and land softer in rough stuff. The tradeoff to a steeper v deadrise hold is that it yaws more in a side swell compared to a flatter hulled bottom. Heavier and longer boats (I currently run a Ranger 521) can absorb more chop and have it stay more stable. These heavier hulls are the best ride in lots of the conditions. Higher performance hulls (certain allisons, stokers and basscats) use performance to drive through the rough stuff. Trim and throttle adjustments can be quickly made and you can drive around and through some big stuff by changing your entry and exit angles.

Find some people who are willing to give you test drives. Wait for a day when the wind is blowing 30 mph against the tide in the Columbia and give em a call for that test drive. (or dealers) The ones who do take you out will be able to teach you quite a bit about the boats and what you need to do to run in the stuff.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Noluk wrote:I cannot make a boat suggestion without some additional information but I can offer some advice and perspective. I started with saltwater boats and came to love bass fishing more. Length always matters. Usually longer is better as it lets you span across the top of more chop. In certain conditions when the wave interval is timed just right, a shorter boat may ride better or quicker. A hydraulic jackplate and a good selection of props will be a big boost to your ability to drive rough water. If you live in an area with lots of bad fishing conditions, set your boat up to run rough water. You will lose some top end speed but there is NO substitute for a 5 blade prop that you can easily turn to max rpm for keeping you on plane and being responsive to the throttle when every boat on the water is reduced to 25-30 mphs tops. These things matter on the days when every boat is going to be wet and slam.

Drivers matter a whole lot and a good driver in a boat he knows well will let you drink coffee in conditions that a bad driver in the same boat will have your hand cramping from holding onto the grab handles. The best boat for you will depend on how you like to handle the conditions. Boats are like cars. Some drive like Porsches and some drive like Lincoln Continentals. Physics apply to everyone though. If you take an object and throw it up in the air 4-5 feet at a 30% angle (like from a big boat wake) at 55 mph it is going to fly for a little bit and make you unhappy when it lands. Hopefully it also did not have and angle when you launched it and the bottom part is what lands first. Bow hooking a boat or stuffing a wave can make your day a little more interesting than it needs to be. (from a guy who tore his t-top off his saltwater boat)

Trim tabs if they can be mounted and you learn to use them effectively can be a great rough water addition.

Almost any of the good 20 foot plus boats can handle anything you should be out in. The Champs I have been in run rough water well when they are running into the swell where their deeper V can help them cut smaller stuff and land softer in rough stuff. The tradeoff to a steeper v deadrise hold is that it yaws more in a side swell compared to a flatter hulled bottom. Heavier and longer boats (I currently run a Ranger 521) can absorb more chop and have it stay more stable. These heavier hulls are the best ride in lots of the conditions. Higher performance hulls (certain allisons, stokers and basscats) use performance to drive through the rough stuff. Trim and throttle adjustments can be quickly made and you can drive around and through some big stuff by changing your entry and exit angles.

Find some people who are willing to give you test drives. Wait for a day when the wind is blowing 30 mph against the tide in the Columbia and give em a call for that test drive. (or dealers) The ones who do take you out will be able to teach you quite a bit about the boats and what you need to do to run in the stuff.
Great stuff George!
~~ I'm trying to think but nothing happens ~~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8MhaihAw7I&feature=related
ttb31183

Post by ttb31183 »

Brian D. wrote:
clearlakeoutdoors wrote:Ive always been a ranger guy but just bought a 199 legend ,way nicer ride than the 519 I had , If looking at new I would check out the new legend v-20
Dave
My Alpha 199 is a much better ride (in all areas) then my previous 2004 198 Champ. Its faster, more nimble in turns at all speeds, drier ride, and handles the bigger stuff just as good. Fit and finish is 1st rate.
Also have an Alpha 199 and love it. There are so many good ones out there though and like others said the driver does make a difference, but I still wouldn't switch to any other brand.
Tyler Brinks
paul mueller

Post by paul mueller »

I have a 2014 Ranger Z521C and it is the best rough water bass boat that I have ever been in.
stratos4me

Post by stratos4me »

That's simple. Regardless of what anyone tells you, bass boats aren't designed for rough water. They just don't have the necessary freeboard or deadrise that rough water requires. You just need to learn boat handling and minimize the pain. The most important thing is to use your trim and throttle together to keep the boat in the water and your bow above the water line. Catching air will destroy your equipment and your back. Read some articles on handling small boats (20' class) offshore and use the combination of trim and throttle to accomplish the same thing that offshore guys use trim tabs for.

Have Fun!