Brian D.

Tragic accident on El Capitan Lake

Post by Brian D. »

~~ I'm trying to think but nothing happens ~~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8MhaihAw7I&feature=related
TheChaz

Re: Tragic accident on El Capitan Lake

Post by TheChaz »

guys hot roddin their bass boats need to exercise caution. Thats very unfortunate.
whazup

Post by whazup »

The wrong people died.......I wouldn't label this an "accident". I call this gross negligence without regard for anyone but yourself. Run down a stationary boat in broad daylight? How? DUI? Blows my mind...
Fish Laugh at the Mention of My Name
Bassin

Post by Bassin »

Wow, I totally agree , this is Gross Negligence !
Bryan Vogt..... Central Cal Bassin
Otay Michael

Post by Otay Michael »

Been fishing here lately once or twice a week. How tragic two young fishermen were slaughtered like this.

Looks like these fishermen were stationary, or slowly motoring, near a blind point and the other boat took it rounded it too close to shore and t-boned them. Someone tried to revive one victim, the other sunk and was found this morning. Looks like one case where a life vest would not have been much help, huh?

Photo, and more info from witnesses, from SDfish: http://www.sdfish.com/forums/threads/bo ... 285/page-3

Oh, that article linked above reports El Cap to be 10' deep, maybe that's how deep the guy was expected to be, must have been close to shore. Even though the lake is super low, it's still really deep down the middle, 60' or more is my guess.
Otay Michael

All I need to get into the money would be the four I usually get along with a 20# kicker.

Own no boring art: www.seewald.com
Name written in the book of life.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Those two kids never had a chance.
Tell me again why there is no license required to operate a boat.
You would think the insurance industry would make that a requirement for coverage, just like with a car or truck.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Big Daddy TR21

Post by Big Daddy TR21 »

Guys and Gals,

There is a trust fund set up to help the to young men Jeffery Ingram and Russell Mendez. I have no personal attachment to the trust fund, it was set up by one of the guys brother to help pay for expenses. If you would like to help donate here is the link.

https://www.giveforward.com/fundraiser/ ... orial-fund

If you are unsure of the trust fund and want more info, please go to the SDFISH web site and under "Freshwater" you can read all of what had happened. The mom for one of the guys just lost her job and this is going to be very taxing on the families. Please help if you can.

Thank you.

John
Don't hate the Player, hate the game!!!
Scott Robertson

Post by Scott Robertson »

I saw it in the paper . Wow broad daylight it wouldn't surprise me if it was a water rat on a jet ski but most of us who run bass boats have a little more respect and common sense. My condolences to the families. Guys watch around the corners and don't take off till its safe.
Scott
bent rods to all good luck.
2005 angler of the year ABA High desert region.
2018 2nd place AAA us open
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

There isn't any excuse for this boating accident . Recluse irresponsible behavior with the bass boat resulted in the death of two young angers who where out enjoying a day on the water fishing, exactly what we all promote. My consultancies goes out to the families of these young anglers, and with my support.
The bass boaters should be responsible for all the suffering and cost for this tragedy they caused.
Tom
fish_food

Post by fish_food »

Scott Robertson wrote:Wow broad daylight it wouldn't surprise me if it was a water rat on a jet ski but most of us who run bass boats have a little more respect and common sense.
Yes, PWCs and wakeboarders can be pretty clueless and irresponsible boat operators but I'm sure we've all seen our share of bass boat drivers being just as irresponsible.
JKumarbass

Post by JKumarbass »

This is heartbreaking, and unfortunately has been happening pretty regularly here and there across the country...we've ssen it covering stuff with the daily BassBlaster. Re: a boating license, we have that here in NJ and I can tell you it doesn't make any difference in my opinion...but does result in more $ for our tax-happy state. Many people think having a boat is a license to drink, go fast and be crazy. Getting the license I guess for them is just official permission to do that. Makes me appreciate 9.9 lakes. Be safe guys!
http://www.bassgold.com - The world's best bass patterning tool
http://bassblaster.bassgold.com - The best, funniest daily read in bassin'
fishwithron2

Post by fishwithron2 »

ttttt.
Last edited by fishwithron2 on Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

There are some boating rules that are go beyond common sense that some lakes post or give out when you enter the lake. Speed limits, proper boat handling, counter clockwise boating patterns, a wide variety of buoy types and their purposes, PFD's, throw cushion, fire extinguisher, etc.
Today anyone with the means to buy a high speed boat can without any boating knowledge and that is a problem. Driving on the wrong side of a lake and cutting close around a blind point simply from ignorance of proper boating is different than reckless driving or DUI. If the boater had a license that would eliminate a lot of boating ignorance, not stupidly.
Our lakes small and getting smaller, the boats are faster many of the drivers are unskilled.
Tom
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

I don't understand why the insurance industry isn't yelling and screaming for a boat operator's license, nationwide.
If you get a ticket while operating a boat, it is a moving violation in the State of Calif, and goes on your driving record.
If insurance companies required a boating license for any boat operator, and would cancel their insurance if a non-licensed operator was a fault, watch how quickly people would pay attention.
Do you let your drunk kids drive your car? I see liquored up kids driving Daddy's boat all the time.
And if lakes required a boat drivers license, and proof of insurance, in order to launch, how many of those accidents could be prevented?
Our Club requires insurance for all our boater members, so it's not that hard. And banks require insurance for boat loans.
The cost of licensing is a small price to pay for saving lives.
And for you guys who say it won't make any difference, I said the same thing about seat belts, and I was wrong.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Robb R

Post by Robb R »

this is such a tragedy , I agree with everything said on the previous posts . I hope the offenders pay a high price .
I fish a small local lake in Northern Calif most of the time . A dad drove to the gate with a bunch of teenage boys and a $70K wake board boat . He asked the mussel inspection guy if it would be Ok if he just dropped off "all the boys and let his 15 year old son drive the boat" ? Yeah sure ??!!
Guess what , these boys spent most of the day swamping fisherman in the 5MPH zone . Peopling yelling at them , didn't matter .
I can only imagine this same kid 10 years older and lots of alcohol .
tight lines ,
Robb