Your Boat Trailer

DannyMiller

Your Boat Trailer

Post by DannyMiller »

You’re Boat Trailer
When is the last time you really looked at your boat trailer? It hauls our watercraft to and from the water each time and rarely gets even a look. This look can really be one of the most important steps you could make.
I’ll start by using a 12 year old tandem trailer as the subject. No brand names, as it is with all trailers that these items at some point will need maintenance. The best times to look are in good day light, boat on the trailer and with the boat launched (Off the trailer) on level ground.
When the boats on the trailer full weight is there so you can see if the springs are touching the frame. They are not supposed to touch. Weak or broken springs can cause this. Does your trailer squeak loudly as you travel over a speed bump? Then bushings along with other items might be in order. Worn shackles, pins, springs, bushings, or rocker arms can cause this and a break down is on the horizon. When the boats off the trailer you can easily see the inside and outside areas of the springs shackles. If you can spot any gap below or above any spring bolt at each shackle then you need to replace them. The center rockers top hole cannot be seen because of its shackle so look close to see if the spring is close to touching the frame. You can also try lifting the bunk boards at this time. If they can be lifted then new bolts, boards and or carpet are in order. I actually carry 4 large zip ties as I have saved the day at the ramp for a couple of guys that their boards finally floated off their trailer. Just zipped tied them back on for the trip home.
Costs? Well most shops charge around a $1200.00 for springs and all attachments for a tandem axle. This isn’t including the boards. I’ve done it and you can also but OMG it’s a major job. My materials were less than $250.00. Now my trailer does not squeak and tracks like a dream. I also installed new lug nuts to all my wheels and I carry a socket that fits them. Great insurance that I’ll not only get to the ramp but back home. Take a close look at all the attached photos. The egg shaped holes in shackles, and center rockers are not how they should look. Pins are worn to the point of failing and bushings are worn out. I used C&C marine for info and really appreciate their help. Safe travels my friends.

Danny Miller
Attachments
Axle3.JPG
Axle2.JPG
Axle1.JPG
Robb R

Re: Your Boat Trailer

Post by Robb R »

great post and very true .
I am a first time boat owner (for past 12 years ) and I can't tell the issues that I've had with my trailer .
I have had to replace boards , bearings , tires etc...
One of my bottom boards was so bad , it was so soft and loaded with water only the carpet and staples were holding on the brackets , only noticed by doing exactly what you just posted , do a good examination after launching . Funny thing , the other bottom board was still perfectly hard.
Here's what I did to fix .
Had a lumber store mill a best quality hardwood down to an exact 2" X 6 " thick , then applied two coats of "penetrating " epoxy to keep water from penetrating the wood . Carpet , glue and staples then replaced at the Lake . Probably only took a total of about 3 hrs .
tight lines ,
Robb
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

If you're going to replace your own bunk boards, and intend to make them yourself, use pressure treated lumber, and stainless steel lags and bolts.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
kraetzer

Post by kraetzer »

How could I check if my leaf springs are still good?
I'm going to check the bolts and I just replaced the bunk boards.
Thanks for the information.
kraetzer

"I am ready to face any challenge that might be foolish enough to face me" - Dwight K. Schrute
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

kraetzer wrote:How could I check if my leaf springs are still good?
I'm going to check the bolts and I just replaced the bunk boards.
Thanks for the information.
I had two leaf springs break on my Tracker trailer. Both on the boat driver's side.
I was fortunate. Each time, I was able to jack up the trailer, and duct tape a piece of 2X4 between the trailer and the axle, so I could limp home.
There was no warning, but, once I took them off, both times there were breaks in more than one leaf, which tells me it is an accumulation process, not just a sudden failure.
Check the individual leaves for cracks. You should be able to see something, unless it's hidden by the shackles.
Of course, after the first spring broke, I didn't check the second spring, because it was newer, so, naturally, that's the one that broke! Hahaha
I've had people recommend spraying them with WD40, to lube them and reduce friction-related heat, but I've never tried that.
Most leaf springs I found are made in China. If you're buying a replacement, buy new for both sides, and buy from a reputable trailer dealer, who will have decent springs they will stand behind.
My new Pacific Trailer has a torsion box axle, and the Vault bearing system, so leaf spring and bearing failure are no longer a worry for me.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY