Near record on Columbia River

WB Staff

Near record on Columbia River

Post by WB Staff »

A Camas, Washington, angler had a close call with a 50-year-old state fishing record Wednesday on the Columbia River.

Using a plastic grub near Stevenson, the angler caught a 8.53 pound smallmouth measured by Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife fisheries biologist Joe Hymer.

More: http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/outdoors ... ld-record/

An 8.53 pound smallmouth caught June 24, 2015, on the lower Columbia River was just a quarter pound less than the record caught in 1966. (Joe Hymer)
columbia_smallmouth_bass_t810[1].jpg
Steve

Re: Near record on Columbia River

Post by Steve »

That doesnt look like any smallmouth Ive ever seen.
ripslips2

Post by ripslips2 »

im not sure but i think that looks like a large mouth
Larry Hemphill

I agree!

Post by Larry Hemphill »

I didn't want to be the first to mention this. I have seen hundreds and hundreds of smallmouth up close and personal and this (at least the photo) is not the right color and doesn't appear to have any vertical bars - as all smallmouth have. It is not a great photo, so, hard to judge. Even some of the interesting smallies caught at Pardee in recent years, with some spotted bass markings (possible hybrids), were the typical greenish/brown hue that all smallie have. I have never caught a Columbia River smallie in order to have an opinion. But I wish I had - someday!!!
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Would the "in front of the eye" mouth be anything but a smallie?
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
ttb31183

Post by ttb31183 »

Looks like a largemouth to me as well, but when its dead like that it's pretty hard to tell based on the colors.
Tyler Brinks
Larry Hemphill

Post by Larry Hemphill »

Mark - I was looking at that too because that is how I show clients the difference between a spotted bass. smallmouth bass, and largemouth bass. However, the mouth needs to be closed for that idea to be accurate. If the mouth were closed on the smallie, the back of the jaw would be in front of the eye. For a spot, it is under the eye and for a largemouth the back of the jawbone is behind the eye. That system is always spot on. But again, one doesn't need to do that for a smallie because that fish is always green/brown. Hard to tell with this one - I think she had be dead for some time.
DDG

Post by DDG »

I've caught a couple of sallies on the columbia and they were pretty green but not dark like this one they were also no more then a pound. Someone find more pictures of this fish! It does look like a largemouth.
DDG

Post by DDG »

Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

Looks like this bass was dead and on ice For several hours, coloration is gone.
Can't tell if the dorsal fin is connected or where the jaw ends relative to the eye, looks like it could be a smallmouth.
Tom
Jim Miller

Post by Jim Miller »

I was in receipt of the photo of the bass shown herein that was EMailed to me from Renaud P. who received it early last week, from a close friend.
Like Mr. Hemphill and others here, I was in doubt of this being a small mouth bass in this photo. However, a F/G biologist from Washington state authenticated this as a small mouth bass on the scene, measuring and weighing it. I will bow " to his ability" to state for the official record that this in fact a small mouth bass. Ice chest temps can change coloration, and if you take the time to enlarge this bass in photo's head, hypothetically close the lower jaw, the jaw does in fact close near in front of eye, as stated by Larry H. Also, when you enlarge the photo it can immediately show, the view of a s/m head or the smallest head of a 8# l/m ever taken!! Merely, my or anyone's perspective on this fact, however. Being a local here in Portlamd area, I am excited to know an authenticated s/m of this proportion still can be caught in our Big C. Long way from the 1955 Dale Hollow 11#er, but certainly this bass has the Pacific Northwest anglers inspired, indeed!! Jim Miller, Happy Valley, OR.
basnlmt
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

With smallies growing so slowly, a fish that size has had many years to spread her genes, so you Columbia River guys should have a lot of potential giants to fish for!
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Nicknourot

Post by Nicknourot »

[img][/img]

One I caught when I lived up there. Still alive obviously.

No way it's a smallie.
Attachments
image.jpg