lews reel help

GEORGE D.

lews reel help

Post by GEORGE D. »

hi got a question my wife just got me two lews reels for our annv I never used a reel that had the adjustable braking out side the reel can anyone tell me a good setting number for 5 or 6 inch senko and a good setting for a super spook thank you george
Cooch

Re: lews reel help

Post by Cooch »

Hi George,

I've use more round reels that do not have this feature, I've always adjusted the "cast out" tension by using the round tension dial under the reel handle. I do have a number of low profile reels that have this rotary tension dial as an additional breaking mechanism, yet I've never really been able to distinguish a difference in using it when it's set on 1 vs 10. To my naked eye, the bait seems to drop the same no matter where I set that micro dial. So I always just turn it up to the highest, number and use the round dial to set the line out tension to the weight of the bait I'm using.

When setting that round tension dial, I hold my rod straight up, with the bait up at the top guide, engage the reel and let it fall into the water. I then tweak that dial from that point to where I get no over spin of the line when the bait hits the water. Your baits should slowly fall to the point when they hit the water, your reel spool will stop and not continue to roll creating the over spin. If I am not getting the distance I require out of my casts, due to it being too tight, I will back it off slightly to achieve that distance, yet not receive the over run in the process. A bigger part of fine tuning this will be in the process of training yer thumb to also be a part of the braking system during your casts. I have actually gtten to the point with my thumb after all these years, of opening that round tension to it's loosest point and my thumb does more of the braking work than the mechanics of the reel. This allows me the greatest distance as well as accuracy with my casts and pitches with my baits.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

George,
I have several Lew's baitcasters.
One style has dual braking, with internal centrifugal brakes, which I set at half on, and externally adjustable magnetic brakes, which I set to full on when I put on a new bait, and then back off as I see how well it casts.
The other style just has externally adjustable centrifugal braking. I would set it full on, and then back off as I see how it casts.
That is the beauty of externally adjustable braking...it's easy to adjust as you go.
Which reels did she give you, and does she have a sister? :lol:
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
elfish16

Post by elfish16 »

from my experience, the external adjustment on my Lews are set to about 3 or 4. I have switched over to ALL Lews and sold all my shimanos and diawas.

3-4 is great for senkos.
Eric Elshere

https://donssmokinsalmon.com
https://maxima-lines.com
GEORGE D.

Post by GEORGE D. »

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP EVERYONE GOING TO TRY IT OUT THIS WEEK