Panfish help in the Delta needed!

StogieMan

Panfish help in the Delta needed!

Post by StogieMan »

I have a co-worker who is a single mom; her son is 3-1/2 and wants to go fshing.
My plan is to launch the boat and "hopefully" just use the TM and then anchor but I am willing to run "some" I have a life jacket for the little munchkin and bought him a snoopy pole.

I have no idea where or how to catch panfish and it's important to get the little guy on a good bite, like a school of fish.
Any suggestions would be welcome!
Burke

Re: Panfish help in the Delta needed!

Post by Burke »

Where do you plan to launch from?

I use to catch a lot of panfish in the dead end sloughs (Sycamore, Hog, and Beaver) off the Mokelumne River. They seem to be close to tule clumps. I usually caught them accidentally when i was using smaller spinnerbaits or lures for bass. Haven't seriously fished for them in years, but when I did, I used mini-jigs or meal worms.

I've also seen a lot of people fish the tule clumps in Franks Tract for panfish.
StogieMan

Post by StogieMan »

Thanks Burke.
As I mentioned; I have never done this before but my thought process was a bobber and bait set up. (meal worms?)

Do you know where the worms can be purchased?
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

red worms, crickets, meal worms, small bits of hotdog along with small live bait hooks a couple of split shot and a couple of bobbers.
fish where you launch, blue gill are in every Marina on the delta.

if you have a couple of rods (lie spinning) bait them also and each hookup hand off to the little one

Bait can be bought at most walmarts, or the gas station bait stores around the delta

Good Fishing :D
TR177 Ranger/ Mercury/Lowrance/ Ghost TM
reddog

Post by reddog »

Red worms are what I used back when. I'm not sure those fish care to much plus you'll catch the occasional smaller bass which makes for a wild time with light tackle. Any marina will do but I would try to stay near some shade for the little one as they dont realize the sun is wearing them out.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

reddog wrote:Red worms are what I used back when. I'm not sure those fish care to much plus you'll catch the occasional smaller bass which makes for a wild time with light tackle. Any marina will do but I would try to stay near some shade for the little one as they dont realize the sun is wearing them out.
Take lots of snacks. They get bored and hungry quickly, so that will help keep them from being as bored. But they will, unless it's a wide open bite, so bring other stuff for them to do, and call it a day when they're ready.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
StogieMan

Post by StogieMan »

Thanks everyone. all good information here and I will take this and run!