Clear Lake Swimbaits

Chad Sweitzer

Clear Lake Swimbaits

Post by Chad Sweitzer »

I'm planning a trip to Clear Lake next weekend. Last time we went, I managed to catch about 20 eight inch fish. What swimbaits and colors are effective this time of the year? Also, can you throw them on straight #65 or do you need a leader, if so what length?
PB: Spot-9.625 (Shasta Record) LMB-13.27 SM-4.36
bassdaddy

Re: Clear Lake Swimbaits

Post by bassdaddy »

Check out Matt Allan's site...tacticalbassin.
george

Post by george »

Hey Chad, Like the earlier post said go to Youtube and check out "Clear Lake swimbait fishing". There are some really good post from Matt, Paul Baily and other guys.
I throw a six inch Trash Fish in hitch color or an eight inch Baitsmith again in hitch color on 20lb flourocarbon if I am slow rolling a bait and jump from the mouths and point of any creek or cut until you find em, they will be somewhere. Also the ABT glide baits in the light colors have worked well for me it just depends where and how deep the bass are chasing bait, I throw the eight inch because the 12" glide baits just wear my butt out after an hour or two.
Work the bait so that the bass are having to follow and pin it against something like a point, tully clump or rocks.

George
Whoopbass

Post by Whoopbass »

I just got back from there. I don't think a swimbait is gonna work right now 4 ya since the water has a stained tint to it. On Thursday I caught two 6 lb bass in three casts on a drop shot rig with a 4" Yamamoto twin tail hula grub. I had over 20 lbs for 5 on that little bait that day and I didn't get on the water til 10 a.m.. I think I had around 15# the next day on it. Today was a mess out there with all the boats.

There are a lot of small bass biting right now. If you have some good areas you might want to sit them out or check regularly in hopes that larger fish will move up to feed at some point in the day. Seemed like just about anything over 12" was caught off rocks or docks. For me the tules held small fish except for a 2# and a 4 # I caught off a chatterbait but the sun had just about set. Seemed like all of my good fish came in about 5' water.
clearlakeoutdoors

Post by clearlakeoutdoors »

It will be busy out there thru Oct. FLW starts thursday ,ABA toc next fri-sat, And the CTT at the end of the month. BBT had over 160 boats out there this weekend.I fished Sat and it really wasnt to bad out there . I caught fish to 5 pounds on jigs and lv 500. On the swimbaits we have been selling a lot of keitech in 4.8 fat impact. You can catch fish on the 6" trashfish right now also. The 6" and 7" osprey is always a good choice here . The R2S 168 swaver is another great fall bait here. Fish a swimbait you have confidence in and stick with it and you will catch some fish.
Dave