Ultrex or not?

Moderators: MKA, Mike M, Caudawg, ash

JL

Ultrex or not?

Postby JL » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:12 am

I see on FLW that Bryan Thrift is still using a Minn Kota Fortrex instead of an Ultrex. This guy is one of the best tournament anglers alive right now. How many of you guys, for whatever reason are sticking with the old cable steering and fore going the spotlock and newer technology and WHY? Thanks for any input!

biteme

Re: Ultrex or not?

Postby biteme » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:25 am

No way would I ever go back. Spot lock is amazing. I can lock the boat and fish the back deck if I want to. Its awesome.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:17 am

There is no rationale comparison. Ultrex is so far superior, you can not make an argument. Someone who has a Fortrex is going to chime in and say an Ultrex is "not reliable" ..... that may have been an issue when the Ultrex was first introduced, but Minn-Kota corrected all those issues and the current ones are very reliable. No explanation why a touring pro would use a Fortrex, maybe he was fishing out of a "back-up" boat (?)

JL

Postby JL » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:25 am

I'm not sure either on why he doesn't use the Ultrex versus the Fortrex, but he does. Maybe he switches them out on different bodies of water? Go to FLW and check it out for yourself. He is at Sam Rayburn and doing awesome in the tournament. He is also carolina rigging, which in my opinion would be prime to have a Ultrex on that bite.

birdman920

Postby birdman920 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:02 pm

I absolutely love the Ultrex “ the only drawback for me ‘ is the noise !... I have my Fortrex & Ultrex rigged for quick swap outs ! I plan on going back to the Fortrex when the fish move shallow , I am just OCD” I guess ?, but just can’t get used to the noise !

clum553946

Postby clum553946 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:21 am

I know it’s like fishing with R2D2, but you can always just use it manually too. Hard to go back to the Fortrex for me, the Ultrex is great when you’re fishing by yourself!

Return to “Fishing”