Another Lake CDA Trip

ttb31183

Another Lake CDA Trip

Post by ttb31183 »

Lake Coeur d'Alene in northern Idaho is one of the best fisheries in the west and every time I go I know that a giant is possible. While that didn't happen yesterday, it was still a good trip with tons of numbers of smallmouth and largemouth.

We spent the majority of the day with a frog or swimjig in hand and the largemouth were definitely biting. No true giants, but plenty of solid keepers to keep us busy.

In some parts of the lake, the water temps are in the low 60's and there are pre-spawn and spawning fish while others have plenty of post-spawn fish that spawned some time ago. On a lake of this size with rivers coming into it, it makes sense and one could really follow the spawn for a month or more.

Even though I didn't get any giants, the scenery on the lake did not disappoint. It is one of the coolest looking lakes I have ever fished.

After fishing for largemouth, we switched to fishing a Ned Rig and wore out the little smallmouth. No big ones but it simply amazed me how you can catch one nearly every cast for an hour with that little rig. It would be a great place to take someone new to fishing and get them excited about bass fishing.

As always, I was mapping while we fished and this shallow area here had nothing on the map. That will change in the next week or so.

Tyler Brinks