Big Bass Manny Makes the News

WB Staff

Big Bass Manny Makes the News

Post by WB Staff »

5ac02972900ed.image.jpg
Yuba City teen selected to All-State bass fishing team
Has a chance to compete at national contest in TexasYuba City teen selected to All-State bass fishing team

A couple of years ago, Manny Nevarez II traded his baseball bat for a fishing pole and he never looked back.

Sixteen-year-old Nevarez, of Yuba City, is one of two California high school anglers selected for the 2018 Bassmaster High School All-State Fishing Team, which picked 64 students from 38 states.

A panel of judges will determine 12 finalists out of the 64 anglers. The finalists will compete in a one-day Bassmaster All-American High School Bass Tournament held during the 2018 Toyota Bassmaster Texas Fest from May 17-20.

“It’s such a great sport and lots of things come into play, which makes it hard to figure out,” Nevarez said. “You do a lot of work figuring out patterns in weather, currents, depths and pressure but you still need luck.”

On Saturday, he took part in a tournament at Lake Berryessa, which is one of 15 fishing events he’s participating in over the course of 16 weeks.

“I really liked playing baseball but baseball ends and you can fish for your whole life until you die,” he said. “I went river fishing for the first time in eighth-grade with my dad and Raith Heryford, and I loved it.”

He was hooked from the start and credits Heryford, a professional fishing guide, his parents and others for supporting him.

“I started working as a deckhand for Raith when he was guiding people on fishing trips,” he said. “Then, I got into bass fishing and Gary and Richard Dobyns really helped get me where I am today.”

Gary Dobyns is a competitive bass fisherman and owner of Dobyns Rods in Yuba City. Richard Dobyns is Gary’s son.

Read the rest http://www.appeal-democrat.com/news/yub ... s.facebook