Delta 7/9/17

ElGuapo

Delta 7/9/17

Post by ElGuapo »

It was already breezy when we got out on the water just after six. Surprisingly, the parking lot was fairly empty. Water temps at the ramp were still in the mid 70s. Never got above 76. Water was less stained in and around Franks. Elsewhere it was almost muddy with about 1-2' of visibility.

Picked up a 6#er right off the bat tossin' a frog. Great way to get the skunk off.

Bounced around some new areas looking for healthy grass (there isn't a lot of it), stopped for some gas ($$$$!) then punched for about 4 hours when the tide was about halfway out. Wind laid down too which was kinda nice. We probably got 20+ fish punching but they were mostly 1-2lbs at best. But the last one was the best:

Last edited by ElGuapo on Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
mark poulson

Re: Delta 7/9/17

Post by mark poulson »

Nice!
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
ElGuapo

Post by ElGuapo »

mark poulson wrote:Nice!
Thanks Mark! How's the grass down by your place?
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

They've been spreading pellets, so the elodea is down in the channel, and it's not out too far from the levee walls. Covered with mud and snot grass up tight to the levee walls.
The primrose is thick across from me on the last tulle island, but there's almost no hyacinth in Sandmound.
In the drainage ditch next to my house, and back west next to the levee repair yard, the hyacinth is thick, and almost 3' tall, so every time they pump water into Sandmound I'm sure they're pumping hyacinth, too, but it isn't growing yet.
I've caught small keepers in the grass and from under my dock, but I haven't seen anyone catch a decent fish yet.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Kyle46N

Post by Kyle46N »

My son and I fished the Delta the day after you. We had a similar frog bite, but no bigger fish. Ended up with somewhere around 25 fish on the frog, most of them coming from under a couple magic mats, as I convinced my son to call them. Did have a 5 to 6er go airborne and flat out miss my frog. Had enough for a 15 lb bag on the frog. I'm starting to get a better feel of what to look for amongst the Delta's maze of grass. My boy, 8 years old, caught his first frog fish. He's been learning to use the baticast. He missed about 5 blowups the previous trip, but finally stuck one this time around. He had to take a break after horsing a 3 lb bass threw 30 yards of slime, which became a 10 lb bass by time it got to the boat with all the extra grass. Too funny. I punched also later in the day, but just couldn't find any fish much bigger than a pound. We spent most of our time in Old River southeast of Franks.
ElGuapo

Post by ElGuapo »

mark poulson wrote:They've been spreading pellets, so the elodea is down in the channel, and it's not out too far from the levee walls. Covered with mud and snot grass up tight to the levee walls.
The primrose is thick across from me on the last tulle island, but there's almost no hyacinth in Sandmound.
In the drainage ditch next to my house, and back west next to the levee repair yard, the hyacinth is thick, and almost 3' tall, so every time they pump water into Sandmound I'm sure they're pumping hyacinth, too, but it isn't growing yet.
I've caught small keepers in the grass and from under my dock, but I haven't seen anyone catch a decent fish yet.
Thanks for the report Mark. I'll say "hi" if I head down that way.
ElGuapo

Post by ElGuapo »

Kyle46N wrote:My son and I fished the Delta the day after you. We had a similar frog bite, but no bigger fish. Ended up with somewhere around 25 fish on the frog, most of them coming from under a couple magic mats, as I convinced my son to call them. Did have a 5 to 6er go airborne and flat out miss my frog. Had enough for a 15 lb bag on the frog. I'm starting to get a better feel of what to look for amongst the Delta's maze of grass. My boy, 8 years old, caught his first frog fish. He's been learning to use the baticast. He missed about 5 blowups the previous trip, but finally stuck one this time around. He had to take a break after horsing a 3 lb bass threw 30 yards of slime, which became a 10 lb bass by time it got to the boat with all the extra grass. Too funny. I punched also later in the day, but just couldn't find any fish much bigger than a pound. We spent most of our time in Old River southeast of Franks.
Nice!!! We had a few more blow ups. Seemed like smaller ones but you never can tell. I can't say whether I'd prefer to catch 25 punch fish or 25 frog fish. Kind of a toss up! :D