Fishing Oroville Lake 08/24/2016

Tom Gronwall

Fishing Oroville Lake 08/24/2016

Post by Tom Gronwall »

Much better fishing today for me then the last two weeks. Launched at Lime Saddle about 6am, stopped fishing at 10am. The bridge supports at Hwy 70 still have fish stacked on the corners like in the past. Not easy to get them to bite, but patience produced the large fish of the day, right at 16 1/2". About half the time, a nice fish comes from this bridge supports. Managed 18 fish today, other then the 16 1/2", 5 were 14" range, with all others 12-13" basic size. Hardly any wind today, made for a better trip. Fish caught in the 20-35 foot range, better fish on the deeper side. Water dropping fairly fast, now down 114.92 from high water mark of the year. Found fish on a smooth rubble like bank, which was the side of a point, also those stick looking old bushes hold fish, and around a few boulders and narrow points. Cleaner water tends to hold fish better, murky water nothing today. Released all fish as always, to catch again one day.
GOPR0101.JPG
Tom Gronwall

Re: Fishing Oroville Lake 08/24/2016

Post by Tom Gronwall »

Anyone ever fish nights for spots. Wondering is it the same style fishing as daylight? Thinking of fishing with the next full moon.
Chad Sweitzer

Post by Chad Sweitzer »

My last night trip was at Melones and I ended up catching spots to 3 pounds at Melones on a black and blue jig with rattles and scent. I think it becomes less of a visual game. For me at least, I had a couple fish react to the jig right as it hit the water, focusing on the splash.
PB: Spot-9.625 (Shasta Record) LMB-13.27 SM-4.36
Tom Gronwall

Post by Tom Gronwall »

Jigs, might just give that a try. Hear black and or black and red is a good color for nights. Thanks.
Turkeyman

Post by Turkeyman »

Night fishing for spots is fun. Always remember safety first, have your lights on, take a spotlight with you, and have a light that can be reached fast to warn others that you are there. Nighttime brings on a whole different crowd of boaters, if you know what I mean.
Usually I will fish shallower at night and as stated above sometimes they are right up on the bank. I normally use jigs, senkos, and big texas rigged worms at night. I have had some luck with buzz baits and crank baits after dark but for me it has been an inconsistent bite. A black light and fluorescent line is a good tool if you like to use them.
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

You'd be surprised at the bite many times at night on Cranks and spinnerbaits. Shallow too. Oroville can be really good for it too!!
Larry Hemphill

Oroville was the beginning of night fishing for me!

Post by Larry Hemphill »

I had never night fished until I moved to Yuba City. When I lived in San Jose, I had heard about night fishing, but never had done it. My first night trip was a club night tournament in June at Oroville, on a full moon night. At 11:30 pm I hooked a 5 1/2 lb largemouth which jumped out of the water 3 times. Two days later I still had a rush when reliving the moment!! I won the tournament also, but that wasn't as exciting as that big bass jumping in the moonlight!! That changed my life totally - I just couldn't get enough of that night fishin'!!! And I still don't have any "moonburn!!!"
Tom Gronwall

Post by Tom Gronwall »

Thanks guys, will try a few cranks and spinner baits. Looks like the 14th the moon will be high enough as the sun goes down. Thanks for the tips.