From Bullards

WB Staff

From Bullards

Post by WB Staff »

Lunker Larry's client with a post-spawn spotted bass at 7 lbs 14 oz - Bullards Bar, using a Robo worm.

I had a guide trip Friday and today - Sunday - a rare Sunday trip for me. There really wasn't much fishing pressure either day. Mornings were calm with bad winds both days starting late morning. I guess I should start with todays (Sun) trip as the father of my father/son trip showed son how it's done!! Did he ever - to the tune of a 7 lb 14 oz post spawn spotted bass. That's the way to start a trip!!! I had him fishing a morning dawn 6" Robo worm. When I saw that fish rise to the surface, I just about freaked!! Quite a tussle at the boat but I somehow got her in the net on the first swipe. After those Bullards spots spawn, they are still tall - top to bottom! After that, they just caught small ones up to 13 inches - smaller than the Friday trip. That trip started off well as I put a 4 1/4 lb spot in the boat and lost another big one which broke my line. In spite of the horrible wind that came up, we caught several keepers up to 2 lbs. The total bass caught on both trips was about the same, 25 to 30+.

Tips: One has to assume that the bigger spots are only up shallow early and maybe late in the day. They just are hard to find now during the post-spawn. I was surprised that the Senko bite hasn't been very good - at least in my boat. It is hard to get away from the Robo worms - in 2 or 3 favorite colors, when trying to get clients into post-spawn action. Almost every cove now has flooded trees - some totally submerged. Wow - talk about cover. The lake is still rising - now about 91% - and should fill before long. Bullards Bar is a simply gorgeous lake when full - enjoy!!
Attachments
Bullards - Johnson - 7-14 spot.jpg