Kokanee Eaters

ttb31183

Kokanee Eaters

Post by ttb31183 »

Fall is basically here in the PNW and that means the smallies are going to be eating. Some of the best lakes in the area for smallmouth have one thing in common, plenty of kokanee. Just like the kokanee eaters in NorCal, the fish get really fat if kokanee are around.

Lake Coeur d'Alene in Idaho and smaller lakes like Loon Lake in WA have tons of kokanee and giant smallmouth. I experienced the fall kokanee bite already on my last trip out. This 4lb 4oz smallie spit up a six-inch kokanee as I was reeling it back in. I also landed it on a kokanee pattern spybait...not a coincidence.

Another great kokanee/smallmouth fishery is Dworshak Reservoir in Idaho and I'll be making my first ever trip there for our October club event. This lake kicks out multiple 6,7 and even 8lb smallmouth and the state record is 9.72lbs! It was caught here in 2006. I can't wait to get there and try it out.

I have been looking at my maps and this place is a beast. Miles and miles of water, tons of coves and fingers and it alot like Shasta and Oroville as the water level can drop like crazy each fall. Anyone ever fished there?

Tyler Brinks