Best Sunscreen !!

Robb R

Best Sunscreen !!

Post by Robb R »

With summer fast approaching and many of us about to spend way more time on the water --- I thought I would post on a new sunscreen that I think is the best I have ever used . First let me explain , I have had more than my share of visits to the Doctor for procedures - one Mohs surgery , one curettage/electro , about a dozen visits for nitrogen "burns " and Flouruoracil , Efudex , Levulan etc...
As for sunscreens , there are basic types , physical and chemical . Physical sunscreens use either Titanium Dioxide or Zinx Oxide . Titanium versions do not cover all UVA or UVB . Zinc Oxide covers both . Unfortunately -- both tend to make you look like you have a "white " ghost like appearance and if you ever have them run into your eyes --WOW. Chemical sunscreens can tend to create a list
other reactions -- skin sensitivities , allergic reactions etc..Not to mention more chemicals in/on the body can't be good .
The product I found is called Replenix (no I don't work for these guys ) . It's a SPF 50 --physical sunscreen using Zinx Oxide . It does NOT go on or have that "white " ghost look and doesn't seem to run easily if sweating . It works amazingly on protecting the skin and doesn't bother sensitive skin . It is kinda of expensive , 2 ounces for $28.00 but a little goes a long way .It's not usually sold in stores . I buy it on Amazon . I have been using it for two months and I sure wish they had this product 20 years ago .
Lastly , if you have any questions on the use of Flouruoracil , Efudex or Levulan --let me know --I have been forced to use them --they work --- but no fun.
tight lines ,
Robb
whazup

Re: Best Sunscreen !!

Post by whazup »

I too have had countless 'freezes", 10 - 15 Mohs, and many other procedures. Luckily so far only Basil and Squamos, no Melanoma, thank God. I have finally resorted to simply covering up. When I am on the boat you might see skin between my gloves and shirt sleeve occasionally. This product is intriguing. Don't know that I could handle the cost however......thanks.
Fish Laugh at the Mention of My Name
Robb R

Post by Robb R »

whazzup ,
Sounds like you've had it worse than me .
regarding the cost ,I have been using the same 2oz tube for about 7 weeks , about 5 days a week and still have half of it left -- so a little goes a long way . I only use on my face and arms .
I tried the "cover up " method also , just can't handle the buffs covering my face , drives me nuts . I have found that Hanes makes a SPF 50 type shirt , long sleeve for like $15 . Only online though .
Robb
adamsj13

Post by adamsj13 »

I used to use Nutregina 90 spf spray but I got tired of putting it all on. I just cover up now. You can get spf clothing now. I use long sleeve and gloves now too.
SpookFreak

Post by SpookFreak »

I to have to cover up since last year I had 2 surface melanoma's. On my chest they sliced a 4 inch chunk out of me which took about 60 stiches also a layer on my ear had to come off and be replaced by skin on my neck. My wife freaks each time I go out. I use the Nutrogenia brand
Its the 60 and for babies so it wont hurt your eyes at all. Its not to expensive on amazon. It does give the white look but its ok with me.
Jeff