Clear Lake this week 1/23/2017

DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

Well, as I sit to write this the rain is beginning to hit the skylights once again. We could use a serious break no doubt. This past week as the rain did subside one could actually catch a few fish here and there. Still, water temperatures continue to hover in the low to mid 40s, and as the water clarity continues to decline, both are adding to what I would still characterize as a tough bite.

However, right now the bite is not the main issue as the lake continues to rise and creep closer to “9” Rumsey and trouble for some who reside around the lake. To this point the near 17 inches of rain already received since January 1st has been more of a blessing than nuisance.

Unfortunately, from this point on real concern should not be merely dismissed as unfounded. The lake currently sits at 8.31 Rumsey and will most likely continue to rise from all of the run-off despite the current flows at Cache Creek Dam.

Having driven through the valley this past Saturday it was quite easy to see why Yolo County cannot just increase the flows to max in order to lower the lake quicker. Any further release would just have nowhere to go with all of the overflows currently downstream in the valley.

Conditions around the lake vary of course depending on where you are. Creek mouths are pretty bad as flows continue to be quite impressive, as is the size of some of the debris seen floating merrily along here and there. Sufficed to say you don’t have to back down into any of the ramps around the lake as nearly all are topped out.

Forecasts for continuing rain will most likely continue to contribute to worsening conditions and at some point this week I would not be surprised if the lake was not closed should it get to or past “9” Rumsey. I’ll try and get that info up asap should it occur.

I personally doubt that will happen, then again, I don’t think anyone expected to get more than half of last year’s rain total in just 23 days either so stay tuned.

My schedule remains open this week and next. Anyone considering reel service should get them sent in now before the rush in February begins. Please feel free to call anytime if I can answer any questions. I now provide service on Shimano, Revo, Lews, Daiwa, and BPS products.
Screenshot_20170122-181101.png
Attachments
Oaks Ramp courtesy Ed Legan
ReelEx, your source for quality, professional service on your Shimano, Lews, or Revo reels.

Guaranteed 96 hr turnaround on service.
650-454-4938 http://www.reel-ex.com