Which Three Casting Rods?

Tilzbow

Which Three Casting Rods?

Post by Tilzbow »

I started a thread a week or so ago regarding a good all around rod/reel option and ended up buying a 7’ Dobyns medium heavy fast action rod paired with a Diawa Tatula Type R 6.3:1 spooled with 15# fluorocarbon.

If I were to buy two more rigs so I’ll be prepared for most conditions and techniques which type of combos(rod/reel/line) should I go after? I live in Reno, will be retiring in a few years and plan to spend time on Bullards Bar and The Delta.
nate50

Re: Which Three Casting Rods?

Post by nate50 »

I remember the thread, the rod you went with was a med/heavy that I would use for a light jig/Texas rig rod. I would get a spinning rod to throw drop shot/light Shakey Heads. The last rod I would get is a crankbait rod med/med heavy for crankbaits and treble hook top waters.
Grncrestliner

Post by Grncrestliner »

Your first rod is a Sierra 733. I use that same rod a lot but it is a little light for some applications. Since your post states casting rod if I were you I would look at the same rod in a 5 or 6 weight for larger baits. I prefer my 5 weights over my 6 weight rods most of the time. I use my 6 weight rods for stripers mostly since I don't fish the delta much.

Like another member stated a quality spinning drop shot rod is important on most of the reservoirs.
Scott L

Post by Scott L »

Grncrestliner wrote:Your first rod is a Sierra 733. I use that same rod a lot but it is a little light for some applications. Since your post states casting rod if I were you I would look at the same rod in a 5 or 6 weight for larger baits. I prefer my 5 weights over my 6 weight rods most of the time. I use my 6 weight rods for stripers mostly since I don't fish the delta much.

Like another member stated a quality spinning drop shot rod is important on most of the reservoirs.
This ^^^^^ since you plan on fishing the Delta and CL, a 5 power would be a versatile rod. I would think a Dobyns 735 Fury would be a good choice in the $110 range. Not sponsored but own half a dozen or so of the Fury. Should be able to use it for frogs in open water and some heavier cover, small swimbaits, pitching, etc. If gearing up for the Delta/CL consider going 65# braid (at least 50#) and tying directly to frogs or running +/-6-7 feet of flour or mono leader depending on the situation for other techniques.

If you are patient, you will see the reel manufacturers discount their reels when a updated version is introduced. You can pick up a $200 BC for $80-125.

Crankbait rod is also a consideration if you plan to crank much.

Whenever possible, try a friend's setup when offered. Everyone has different preferences and styles of fishing.
Tilzbow

Post by Tilzbow »

Thanks gents, this is helping a ton!
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

When you mention Bullards and the Delta those are far different fisheries. A 733C will be great for both of these waters. I'd look at a 703 Spinning that will be mainly used at Bullards and as suggested above a 735C is a versatile do it all on the Cal Delta. Also, in July many times there's reel deals with new models hitting stores. July is the start of new year for fishing companies. THX to all!!!
Water_Dog

Post by Water_Dog »

Straight from the horse's mouth doesn't get any better than that.
Tilzbow

Post by Tilzbow »

Thanks all! I’m going to buy a crank bait rod next and then probably a heavy setup with braid after that. I’ve got about 5 spinning rods so I should be covered there.