How to fish a chatterbait

Kentuck

How to fish a chatterbait

Post by Kentuck »

Ok, been hearing a bunch about chatterbaits and have to admit that although I own a few I reallly have never tried them. How do you all fish them? Like a jig? Swim it?

Thanks
Kentuck
Brian

Re: How to fish a chatterbait

Post by Brian »

chuck and crank is what I do. But PM terry smith. He is the local Chatterbait KING.
[color=#0040FF]"Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid."

-John Wayne[/color]
Mike

Post by Mike »

It depends on time of year, but on the Delta I use them a couple of different ways and some of my biggest weights have come on a Bobby D's Chatter jig.

Spring/summer: I use them just like a crankbait. The great thing about using them this way is you can controll the depth by the speed of your retreve. I use the 1/2 ounce with 17# mono on a Dobyn's 734c and a Chronarch. You can burn them over grass or slow down and get them down to 12+ feet. You can cover any depth that the fish are in.

Fall/Winter: I use them like a jig. I use the same rod/reel combo, but will switch to floro for more feel. I will fish them in a yo-yo action. Rip it up and let it fall back to the bottom. This works great on deeper points and berms. And this time of year you can find packs of big fish together and really load the boat. One tournament in November I caught 32 pounds in about 20 minutes using this method.

Good luck!
Last edited by Mike on Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
OG on WB since 1993
Steve Reed

Post by Steve Reed »

On the delta I try and put the bait as close to the shore as I can and I parallel the bank.

Alot of the bite I get are right when it hits the water.

The best advice about the retrieve I can give is just switch it up from cast to cast and let the bait fall on occassion.
Monsterfishingtackle.com
scott h

Post by scott h »

Uh ,you should only throw chatterbaits on lake tahoe! :lol: Thats the only place they are effective :shock: You would be just wasting your time with em on lakes like clear lake and the delta! :twisted: The most effective retrieve I have found is as slow as you can reel and keep it working and ticking the tops of the grass. Good luck. Scott h.
BUZZBAITS IN FEBRUARY!@#$%^&*(
g-man

Post by g-man »

I like to work it up, and down like a jig. Good bait! Vertical..
100% LL
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

I've used them a lot and haven't got a fish with them yet :-(
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet, is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Skunkedagain

Post by Skunkedagain »

I've had some good hit's with the chatterbait recently. I've found letting it sink to the bottom and leaving it there for a few seconds, then starting the retrieve gets them to bite.
-Adam Paseman
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

reel :wink:
g-man

Post by g-man »

Greg_Cornish wrote:I've used them a lot and haven't got a fish with them yet :-(
thats cause you can't fish! :shock:
100% LL
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

g-man wrote:
Greg_Cornish wrote:I've used them a lot and haven't got a fish with them yet :-(
True :(
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet, is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
g-man

Post by g-man »

Greg_Cornish wrote:
g-man wrote:
True :(

:shock: My bad! :lol:
100% LL
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

Going to tie one on again tomorrow night and fish 18 ft of water. Think I'll try different trailers. We got 35 to the boat last night on lotsa stuff but jigs was the best. Chatterbait should work there if anywhere.
Burke

Post by Burke »

I use the chatterbait in situations where I could throw a spinnerbait. Have had great success using the "stop n go" method -- crank it 2 or 3 turns of my reel and stop for about a second and then go again. If I'm not cranking a Rat L Trap, I'm throwing a chatterbait. My biggest fish on a chatterbait is a 10 lb striper.
set'em good

Post by set'em good »

I have had issue's setting hooks when using the Chatterbait "yo yo style". I swear to god I had a bunch of very big fish just annihilate it when ripping it up and letting it drop at Coyote, I would set the hook as I would a jig but would not stick them. I did switch to a jig and get them using the same method but did not receive as many hits.

Looking at the bait it seems that the blade would interfere with a hook set if a fish inhales the entire bait? Has anyone else had the same problem?

However when using it with a steady retrieve I don't miss that many fish.
Kentuck

Post by Kentuck »

Thanks everyone. This gives me the info I need. Now we'll see if I can put it together.
Terry Smith

Post by Terry Smith »

Mike wrote:It depends on time of year, but on the Delta I use them a couple of different ways and some of my biggest weights have come on a Bobby D's Chatter jig.

Spring/summer: I use them just like a crankbait. The great thing about using them this way is you can controll the depth by the speed of your retreve. I use the 1/2 ounce with 17# mono on a Dobyn's 734c and a Chronarch. You can burn them over grass or slow down and get them down to 12+ feet. You can cover any depth that the fish are in.

Fall/Winter: I use them like a jig. I use the same rod/reel combo, but will switch to floro for more feel. I will fish them in a yo-yo action. Rip it up and let it fall back to the bottom. This works great on deeper points and berms. And this time of year you can find packs of big fish together and really load the boat. One tournament in November I caught 32 pounds in about 20 minutes using this method.

Good luck!
EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But I use the original Chatterbait. With A Diawa Reel ,Powel Rod, and Maxima 12lb Florocarbin.
http://www.basscat.com
http://www.tntbaits.com/
Lounge Lizard Extreme Bass Fishing
(916) 719-7225
deltabassangler

Post by deltabassangler »

Love the chatterbait. I use a 1/2 ounce, and all I do is crank and wind. Works great!
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

Anyone make a heavier one than 1/2 oz?
Jason C.

Post by Jason C. »

I know someone does, I cant think of the company's name for the life of me right now. But give the Hook Line and Sinker a call. I have seen them there before so they would be able to tell ya! :wink:
Winning Isn't Everything...But Wanting To IS!
Tight Lines, Jason C.
jasonconser@yahoo.com 925-727-4077
[color=orange] www.dobynsrods.com [/color]
[color=blue] www.inland-marine.com [/color]
Sacto John

Post by Sacto John »

Greg_Cornish wrote:Anyone make a heavier one than 1/2 oz?
The Fishin Magician Voo-Doo comes in 1oz, and Rad Lures made a 1oz Chatterbait for muskie, I am sure there are more companes out there that make heavier baits as well. I have been making my own baits with 3/4 oz heads and oversize blades that work great. You can get all you need from Barlows Tackle:

http://www.barlowstackle.com/make-shakee-baits.html
BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER

Post by BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER »

Greg_Cornish wrote:Anyone make a heavier one than 1/2 oz?
I picked up a few 3/4 and 1oz'ers at Limit Out the last time I was up yer way.... I think they were made by D&M........ nice baits
BigBoy

Post by BigBoy »

set'em good wrote:I have had issue's setting hooks when using the Chatterbait "yo yo style". I swear to god I had a bunch of very big fish just annihilate it when ripping it up and letting it drop at Coyote, I would set the hook as I would a jig but would not stick them. I did switch to a jig and get them using the same method but did not receive as many hits.

Looking at the bait it seems that the blade would interfere with a hook set if a fish inhales the entire bait? Has anyone else had the same problem?

However when using it with a steady retrieve I don't miss that many fish.
Yeah the blade forces there mouth open, when I fish it I just take up the slack with my reel, so I always fish a chatter bait with a 6.2:1 or 7:1 reel.

When I yo-yo it I don't rip it has hard as a lipless crankbait and I work the reel to pick up slack. Good luck with it.