battery question....agm's

aNNieNsaLTIE

battery question....agm's

Post by aNNieNsaLTIE »

well i just got ma a onboard charger. I am looking to getr atleast two new batteries. Someone mentioned to me abnout agm batteries.

what brand and size should i go with?
I got a 16' monark and a minn kota 65lb 24v thrust up front. And i love fishing the delta.

thank-you,
Steven
bluefisher

Re: battery question....agm's

Post by bluefisher »

Go to wall mart and get two.No question asked retun .They are good but not great .I will prefish and retun them for game day and not have to charge on three day turnys .Just run them down evey 6 months and get new ones for ever!
MIKE TREMONT

Post by MIKE TREMONT »

I've read a few folks on the board mention that about the Walmart batts. If they are doing that, they do not know what their warranty states.

The way their warranty is suppose to work is that if you bring it in for a free replacement within the free replacement period, your warranty remains at your original purchase date. The warranty date only changes if you pay a prorated amount. That would be after the free replacement period.

So if you have been getting a new batt every 6 mos., just be prepared for the associate that knows what they are doing.

Just a friendly heads ups.
I had to come back...I know...
aNNieNsaLTIE

Post by aNNieNsaLTIE »

I want this to be a investment. a GOOD investment. I do beleive i get what i pay for, so why go cheap on batteries. I want to know what brand of batteries should i buy a AGM battery from.

any help out there? I hear they last three times longer than other type of batteries. does anyone got any info?

steven
BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER

Post by BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER »

Get the largest size batteries you can whatever brand or style you choose to go with............ I don't know the why's, but the overall life of a battery is significantly longer the less it's discharged during normal use...... ie: a group 31 that's drained only 35% on ave is going to have a longer life than a group 27 thats drained 50% on ave, and that 27 will last longer than a group 24 that's drained 75% on ave..... just the way it is..............

I went w Northstar (w the Centennial label,,, aka Dual Pro Lightning) @ about $200 each for 4 group 31's.... someone else posted a while ago about some top of the line car audio batteries made by Kinetic (i think) that are supposedly the schnizzle.... don't know their cost though........ don't forget AGM's are noticeably heavier.... my hole shot was definately affected and I lost about 2 mph off the top end

considering a 16 footer is pretty light weight.............. unless you run sun up to sun down every outing, several times a week, in heavy wind and current ( like me :D ) yer prolly gonna do just fine w a quality lead acid battery and save a bunch of $

personally I'd avoid Everstarts... I went through 3 sets in less than a year... what a pain..

Kirkland are about as good as you can get for the cheap stuff,,, the next step would be Trojans but then yer almost at AGM price anyhow....................... I ran AC Delco's for years but the new ones are no longer maintenance free (sealed) and are no where near the same quality/performance they used to be
aNNieNsaLTIE

Post by aNNieNsaLTIE »

Thanks BDBR! I might try interstate........... I don't run several times a week, But my boat is glass and wood, Old style, kinda heavy, heavier than most 16's, But when I do go out and play I like to stay out from sun to sun down!

I wonder how much difference in weight are the 24'2, 27's and 31's size batteries.
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

I bought the Walmart batteries and they are working pretty well, however you have to keep an eye on water levels. They've always lasted as long or longer than the Interstates or Die hards I bought. I don't think investment and batteries can be used in the same sentence ;-)

I'll do my best to make them work and maintain them though. To try to return them every few months on a bogus claim is unethical and pretty much like stealing. I have more ethics than to try that scheme.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet, is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER

Post by BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER »

Not really sure about the weights...... I think my 31's are around 80lbs each :shock:

I know w Northstar the footprint of the 27's and 31's are the same... just a height diffenrence
civicrr2

Post by civicrr2 »

I just went with some AGM's from Sears. They are the Platinum Marine series. One Group 34M for the Opti & two Group 31M's for the Motorguide.

Group 34M weighs 53lbs. It has 880 CCA with 135 min reserve. $189 in store price (Tracy). Cheaper than Sears online price by $10.

Group 31M weighs 72lbs. It has 1150 CCa & a 205 min reserve. $249 in store price (Tracy). Cheaper than Sears online price by $10.

Both batteries have regular automotive & threaded posts. Batteries have a 36 month replacement warranty.

Suckers are expensive - better be worth it. We have had great luck running Odyssey batteries for the race car(s). They are also AGM construction. The only reason we didn't go with those is that they were listed as being $289 for similar specs to the Group 34M.
Last edited by civicrr2 on Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
obsessed fisherman

Post by obsessed fisherman »

I got two new batteries this year from West Marine, I think they're group 27(small for deep cycle) . Just put in a 24 v 80lb thrust Minn Kota and figured I wouldn't have any trouble running all day as my boat is a 16' tracker aluminum. I chew the batteries up regularly do to tide and weeds. :cry:
Going to have to go to bigger batteries. My advice is to get the biggest you can right out of the gate.
Does anyone know west marines policy regarding battery upgrades as I'd like to take these and trade in for larger ones. :?:
aNNieNsaLTIE

Post by aNNieNsaLTIE »

ithink i might have to go look for a 4 blade prop to when i get these new batteries
civicrr2

Post by civicrr2 »

I looked @ the West Marine batteries before getting the Diehard Platinum Marines. I wasn't impressed with their specs. There were also a lot of 'off brand' batteries available on the internet. Again, their specs/capacities were less than stellar. Something that I learned doing my research is just because both batteries are the same Group, it doesn't mean they have the same MCA/CCA/Reserve.

Cabelas has some AGM's that look good. I didn't like their terminals though. Shipping cost was also a consideration.

I also really like the fact that I can walk into the local Sears & get my batteries replaced if needed.
Jason Milligan

Post by Jason Milligan »

Just ordered 4 Centennial AGM's, group 27. 143.00 each. Pretty good deal eh... From everything I hear you want to go with the AGM's. No water levels to check, more reserve capacity, longer life, etc. The group 27's I just ordered are supposed to tolerate 800 cycles. That's pretty much 800 days fishing. That's good! All the while being maintainance free.
Gene Buchholz

Post by Gene Buchholz »

I have been installing and repairing trolling motors for longer then I want to remember. You wouldn't believe how many times a person has brought their motor in for repair and it wasn't the motor it turned out to be the batteries.
With that said I have sold many different types of batteries in the past 18 years. After dealing with many different brands of batteries it still comes down to 2 brands that are above the rest.
The best 2 batteries in my opinion are #1 AC Delco #Trojan. These batteries have proven themselves over and over again. You can buy the Wal Mart or K Mart or any other discount battery and exchange them every 6 months if you want the hassel or do it once and don't have the worry of them failing you when you need them.

Just my 2 cents
[img]http://www.westernbass.com/shared/sponsors/468x60/hookadban.gif[/img]
Phil

Post by Phil »

I pretty much agree with Gene on this one. I also have sold batteries for over 45 years. The three best to my rememberance were..AC Delco, Interstate, and Caterpillar which I think were made by Gould/Interstate, I think !!

Its all about battery maintenance. the modern, now day age of fishermen/women is; buy it / use it / forget about it. Same with cats, boats, engines, etc etc ....

Just my two cents also

JIGS
Phil

Post by Phil »

aNNieNsaLTIE wrote:ithink i might have to go look for a 4 blade prop to when i get these new batteries
Save some money for your boat, buy it all at Bass Pro Shops.Batteries, Prop, all of it..............or buy the Prop from Phil's, and Batteries at your Local Caterpillar dealer, or Interstate battery Dealer.

JIGS
skandy

Post by skandy »

I've been using the Optima Blue top batteries for a few years without any problems. They recharge faster than wet cell batteries and will not loose any charge after sitting for a month. No water to worry about and they weigh less. My boat is only a 12 volt system so I connectted 2 batteries for more reserve power. You can buy them at Costco and save a few bucks.
scottkh

Post by scottkh »

What about these batteries used in cars with enormous stereo/speaker systems? Don't they carry more power?

What are these brand names?
Scott Hostetler
www.deafbass.org
civicrr2

Post by civicrr2 »

Odyessey - AGM

Optima - AGM

XS Power - AGM

I started a thread a week before this one & got very little feedback. Personally, I have good results/luck using AGM batteries on race cars. That is why I went with them. Things better last three times as long as the Wally World ones.

If they don't, I'm gonna wish I took Gene's & Jig's advice & bought the AC Delco's :)
plungers

Post by plungers »

Please check your engines cold cranking amps requirements before you buy your cranking battery. Most all new motors call for 1,000 CCA.
I agree with Gene on the AC Delco's However we sell Dekas and have had very good luck with them.
Jim Moulton
aNNieNsaLTIE

Post by aNNieNsaLTIE »

I keep wanting to hold back on the money i spend on my current boat. I want to upgrade to another bigger boat. BUT in the mean time my current boat does need new batteries and maybe a new set of graphs..................... Since I do not plan on selling it i might as well invest some dough..........

I think I will go visit the Interstate shop. I do run AC delco's right now and they seem to be very good batteries. and very clean...

Steven