Swimbait reel??

Jigsisme

Swimbait reel??

Post by Jigsisme »

Was wondering what your opinions where of using the Curado 300e as a swimbait reel? No baits larger than say...original BBZ-1. I know the "go-to" reel is the Calcutta 400 but was told the 300e was made for swimbaits and it would be easier for me because of the low profile.
Appreciated,
Jigs
jigginpig

Re: Swimbait reel??

Post by jigginpig »

works like a champ. get three.

Shaun
justflipit

Post by justflipit »

that real is awesome for the bigger baits.

but 6-7 inch osprey small punker, wake jr. i use a regular revo.
ASD

Post by ASD »

small swim baits 6" and under revo sx
large swim baits 7" and over revo winch
offduty

Post by offduty »

I got 5 hardly use the 400's anymore.
Rich
Jigsisme

Post by Jigsisme »

So it looks like I'm off to get a 300e!
Still curious though...Will it keep a steady cadence while reeling or will it differ?
redneck27

Post by redneck27 »

So here is what I got bud.

Rod - G.Loomis BBR 964C/ 8' Heavy.

Reel - Shimano Cardiff 401A.

Call it what you will but this has done me very well. I can use all different size swim baits and of course I have the back bone and sensitivity to put lunkers in the boat.

It is a suggestion like everyone else has giving you. But what it comes down to is what fills good to you.
basshunter4u

Post by basshunter4u »

Do your self a favor and go ahead and get the Calcutta 400. You will start to throw bigger baits and you wont have to get one later. I am not knocking the 300 but the 4oo has more 25 lb test line capacity and the Calcutta will throw a 4 inch shad as well as the 13 inch tool.

Don O
never give up, be possitive and patient, and you will be rewarded
Team Efusjon

Post by Team Efusjon »

Abu Garcia 6500c. Solid, casts a mile, around $90.
www.myefusjon.com/changeyourlife
jigginpig

Post by jigginpig »

Jigsisme wrote:So it looks like I'm off to get a 300e!
Still curious though...Will it keep a steady cadence while reeling or will it differ?
it will recover more line per crank arm revolution at the end of the cast, as will ALL reels. so start a bit faster, and gradually slow down as the bait draws near.

Bill Siemantel has done a very good job explaning this to anglers in his writing. it is basicly the same reason large arbor fly reels have come to dominate the market place, the larger the arbor is (or becomes through line recovery) the more string you rip per crank.

Shimano will NEVER let you down. i challenge anyone to say there is a better product made for our needs. :twisted:

Shaun
Philburt

Post by Philburt »

I SWIMBAIT ABOUT 95% OF THE TIME ON THE WATER AND FROM MY EXPERIENCE THE DIAWA LUNA 300 IS BY FAR THE BEST SWIMBAIT REEL IN THE WORLD. REMEMBER YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR...I HAD A CARDIFF 400 WHEN I FIRST STARTED SWIMBAITING BUT AFTER A COUPLE OF GOOD FISH THE GEARS STRIPPED...I USE THE LUNA'S FOR THE BIG BAITS AND CURDO 300'S FOR TOP WATER AND SMALL FAST MOVING BAITS
jigginpig

Post by jigginpig »

well, i have a Calcutta 400TE for big baits, so i think i got what i paid for... never have fished a Cardiff, but i have demonstrated them for customers, and they flat out CAST, at least the 300 size. the gears are machine cut brass, cant see much of a durability issue there. have a real hard time thinking that even a 'roided out LMB would "strip the gears"

but i will admit i only catch tiny fish!

Shaun
FRANKRIZZO

Post by FRANKRIZZO »

get a CALCUTTA 400TE,if you wanna bark like a big dog,and get the curado if you wanna pee like a puppy!!!! :D :D :D
just mend it!
jigginpig

Post by jigginpig »

FRANKRIZZO wrote:get a CALCUTTA 400TE,if you wanna bark like a big dog,and get the curado if you wanna pee like a puppy!!!! :D :D :D
i got 'em both, do i bark and pee? :shock: :lol:
FRANKRIZZO

Post by FRANKRIZZO »

for swimbaits that is, :roll: :roll: :roll:
just mend it!
jigginpig

Post by jigginpig »

thanks for the clarification, sporty sausage.

chikity china, da chinese chicken, you have?
Philburt

Post by Philburt »

I GUESS YOU NEVER HAVE DONE ANY OF YOUR OWN MAINTENANCE ON ANY REEL OF ANY KIND TO ACTUALLY SEE WHAT IS IN SIDE THEM...OBVIOUSLY YOU NEVER STUCK A GOOD ONE.... :roll:
ryan accardo

Post by ryan accardo »

hey philburt ive seen your toads both spots and largies so i second the luna over the cardiff i want to see that largie on steriods lmao :shock: :shock: :shock:
Dobyn Rods,Lim-It Lures of California,Johnny C's Pro Guide Jigs,Cal West Construction of Fresno.Valley Rod And Gun Pro Staff,BassAholics LifeStyle Apparel.
jigginpig

Post by jigginpig »

Philburt wrote:I GUESS YOU NEVER HAVE DONE ANY OF YOUR OWN MAINTENANCE ON ANY REEL OF ANY KIND TO ACTUALLY SEE WHAT IS IN SIDE THEM...OBVIOUSLY YOU NEVER STUCK A GOOD ONE.... :roll:
WHY DO SOME PEOPLE INSIST ON GETTING LIQUORED UP AND SPEWING BILE ON INTERNET FORUMS?

just, you know, hypothetically speaking.

i have been using the exact same eight CUB200's for ten years. i can tear them down, all the way, and put them back together blindfolded. i am aware of both the strengths (durability, simplitity, ease of opperation, form factor) and weakness (anti-reverse, pinion gear) though have personally never had issues.

i would not be shocked to find that the reel you so ardently champion would be found to be the superior option between the two, athough i could not myself attest.

i am sure you are correct in all opinions you hold, that you are a more astute and talented angler, and that you catch both more and larger fish than do i.

have a relaxed and enjoyable evening.
Cmarkfish

Post by Cmarkfish »

I have some 400's and the 300's and they are great reels. Like someone said if you start to throw bigger baits you will need a 400. I sure some of your buds my have one or both. give them a try. Good luck with your choice.
tight lines,
Chief
http://www.optimumbaits.com
http://www.VCBASS.org
http://www.cronies.com
http://www.coastalemb.net
http://www.calbfn.com
B.A.S.S. Nation
State Champion 2007
California State B.A.S.S NATION PRESIDENT
Philburt

Post by Philburt »

HEY JIGGINPIG I DON'T DRINK OR START A SUBJECT JUST TO HEAR MYSELF YAMMER ON :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted: :roll:
jcanaday495

Post by jcanaday495 »

If i were you i would get a Curado 300E to start and then buy a calcutta, you are going to want two setups anyways to throw large and small baits so why not just start with the one you are going to use the most in the beginning. I agree that for bigger baits the 400 is a much better option but for anything under 8" a 300 works great. Like I say the addiction is strong and you will end up with two set ups anyways so you will end up with two reels, get them both.
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

Ok, let's see. First off Cardiff is an entry level reel, not designed to throw today's heavy baits exclusively. They will work for a time but you will experience issues eventually. For the money difference, if someone wants a "round reel" they should look at the Calcutta 400B minimum.

Two, Curado 300D or E are both bullet proof reels and will do just about anything you ask them to do, so is the CT300TE or CT400TE. Pesonally, the CU300E fits my hands better than the others, thus they are my reel of choice.

Three, as someone stated previously, you get what you pay for. Pay a lil more in the beginning, and you won't be re-investing in a year or two.

Dan
ReelEx, your source for quality, professional service on your Shimano, Lews, or Revo reels.

Guaranteed 96 hr turnaround on service.
650-454-4938 http://www.reel-ex.com
bassdaddy

Post by bassdaddy »

Just another guy agreeing with the opinion of starting with a Curado 300 D or E and then moving up to a Calcutta 400 TE as needed. I have five of the Curados and two of the Calcuttas and throw swimbaits 125+ days a year. They are both great tools but the Curados get used more because they fit more of the mid-range baits. There's no question that the Calcutta is better for the largest baits, but how much of your time on the water are you realistically going to be throwing the largest baits available.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

I am not a swimbait fisherman. I'm a guy who fishes for bass, and throws swimbaits sometimes.
I think most of us won't catch enough monster fish to wear out a reel. Don O and Chief, you guys don't count.
I find that, for me, being able to throw a swimbit, like a ROF 12, all day, is a question of a rod that has enough tip that I don't have to work too hard, and a reel that's not a boat anchor.
For myself, I look at two things in a swimbait reel, line capacity and comfort.
For flat out line capacity for thicker lines, like 25 lb big game, the Calcutta 400 is the clear choice.
But it is a big, heavy reel, and can wear out a small guy like me in the course of a day. Plus it is wider, and doesn't fit my hand.
I have two Calcutta 300s that I used a lot when I first started throwing bigger baits, because they are a bit smaller, but I can almost spool them on a long cast with 25 lb.
So I tried a couple of things.
I went to 20 lb, and have had no issues, but I haven't caught a double digit fish yet, so I don't know if I will later on.
And I tried both the Quantum Cabo and the Cardiff, and they are both very comfortable and hold plenty of 20 lb line.
I mainly use the Cardiffs now, since they have a thumb bar release, and are warrantied, so, if anything ever does go wrong with one, Shimano stands behind them (thank you Paul).
I use an old Chronarch 100, the silver/white one, for smaller 7" baits that I throw on 20 lb fluoro, and it works great. I can switch up and use the same setup for C rigging if need be.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Cmarkfish

Post by Cmarkfish »

Hey everyone,

You got to remember something else, if you going to throw swimbaits all day long, it would not hurt you to hit the gym.I do freeweights twice a week and it will help on those long days. Yes getting the right combo for your own taste will also help.I love reels that fit in my hands , but you need that bigger reel for the bigger baits. Now for the guys who are throwing the 12ounce+ baits make sure you are looking at the tip and the guides. Now I like to use good tips and not all rods come with them. So ask whats on the rods and save yourself from getting shaved up line. lol Remember it only takes a couple of extra min. to check out your gear. Hope this helps and get you a big one and happy turkey day to all, mark Chief torrez :mrgreen:
http://www.optimumbaits.com
http://www.VCBASS.org
http://www.cronies.com
http://www.coastalemb.net
http://www.calbfn.com
B.A.S.S. Nation
State Champion 2007
California State B.A.S.S NATION PRESIDENT
G-unit

Post by G-unit »

I use a curado. i love it. i dont really like round reels for what ever reason. i fish spectra so line cap isnt an issue. Calcutta or curado buy shimano. Great product and great customer service
The Hard Deck for this Hop is 10 pounds
bass hmoob yaj

Post by bass hmoob yaj »

What about the Abu Garcia Revo Toro Casting reel? I've been reading up on it and I might pick one up. I was wondering what you guys think of it as a swimbait reel. Any imput before I pick one up is appreciated. Thanks.
G-unit

Post by G-unit »

Buy Shimano. Just an opinion. Mine last along time and i fish a lot. I would recommend going to the tackle store, asking for one out of the case. Walk over the the rod rack and start putting it on Rods to see if you like it. If you are gonna huck a Swimmy all day you're gonna want to be comfy.
The Hard Deck for this Hop is 10 pounds
nuocmam1222

Post by nuocmam1222 »

honestly, i think a shimano curado e5 or daiwa crazy cranker is fine or a daiwa BBS or shimano calais 200asv if money was no object.. otherwise, if line capacity is an issue, i'd go with the curado 300e or 300dsv, or daiwa luna 253
toddmc

Post by toddmc »

A lot of guys are switching to the 300e because of comfort. My team partner has several of them and rarely uses his round reels any more. The 300e holds enough 25lb to fish even the biggest baits. I wish Daiwa would get on the bandwagon and make a wide spool low profile baitcaster that is available in the U.S.!
Luckyfisherman

Post by Luckyfisherman »

is the shimano chronarch a good swimbait reel?
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

not enough line capacity. Dan
ReelEx, your source for quality, professional service on your Shimano, Lews, or Revo reels.

Guaranteed 96 hr turnaround on service.
650-454-4938 http://www.reel-ex.com
Luckyfisherman

Post by Luckyfisherman »

DanIsaac wrote:not enough line capacity. Dan
Thanks a lot! There is a guy in town seeling a chronarch for 100 bucks states that he uses the chronarch to throw 6-8inch hudds.
big bass beckstrom

Post by big bass beckstrom »

Philburt wrote:I SWIMBAIT ABOUT 95% OF THE TIME ON THE WATER AND FROM MY EXPERIENCE THE DIAWA LUNA 300 IS BY FAR THE BEST SWIMBAIT REEL IN THE WORLD. REMEMBER YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR...I HAD A CARDIFF 400 WHEN I FIRST STARTED SWIMBAITING BUT AFTER A COUPLE OF GOOD FISH THE GEARS STRIPPED...I USE THE LUNA'S FOR THE BIG BAITS AND CURDO 300'S FOR TOP WATER AND SMALL FAST MOVING BAITS

I have two Lunas and I absolutely love them. Great quality reels that are solid and very reliable
Elliott
www.basscat.com
www.mossdale-boats.com
www.blackdogbaits.com
www.fishdelta.com
Peacheater81

Post by Peacheater81 »

I use a Luna 300 for swimbaits and I love it, great reel.
bassindon69

Post by bassindon69 »

Peacheater81 wrote:I use a Luna 300 for swimbaits and I love it, great reel.
:lol: :lol: this thread started Fri Jan 22, 2010

Oh yea, I love my reels too :lol:
Go Big or Go Home!
http://calfishing.com/gallery/v/members/bassindon69/basspics/
Otay Michael

Post by Otay Michael »

bassindon69 wrote:
Peacheater81 wrote:I use a Luna 300 for swimbaits and I love it, great reel.
:lol: :lol: this thread started Fri Jan 22, 2010

Oh yea, I love my reels too :lol:
They probably found it thru search engines checking up on what's new on 'swimbait reels', like I did. 8)

The larger reels are tough to use all day, especially if you have to 'work' the lure, so I was looking for something more user friendly.
Otay Michael

All I need to get into the money would be the four I usually get along with a 20# kicker.

Own no boring art: www.seewald.com
Name written in the book of life.
NRX

Post by NRX »

All are great reels but how is the Calais ASV not getting menchened? I I personally think its the best! I've caught many Stripers using it even over 20 pounds I would highly recommend upgrading to the carbon fiber drag.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

For me, user friendly means lighter, so I can throw it all day without fatigue.
How about a large capacity, low profile reel that weighs 7.5 oz?

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Quantum_ ... -EXCR.html
CLEAN AND DRY
NRX

Post by NRX »

Mark not a huge difference but I agree with you on the Capacity. Weight is less than 2 oz. lighter with these bigger swim bait rods fishing all day regardless what we are using we are gonna feel fatigue lol!
But to me the rod is a big thing that's why I use the NRX916 I have couple with the ASV's on them upgraded Boca full ceramic bearings with carbon fiber drags with 40 50 60 pd PowerPro throw all kinds of big baits use it for striper also cast like you wouldn't believe never been spooled or even close to but I'd let you fish with it any day and there's only ONE thing we are gonna agree on and that is its pricey!! lol
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

You got me Nuzi.
I'm allergic to pricey. Hahaha
CLEAN AND DRY
NRX

Post by NRX »

Hahahaha I'm with you Mark! That's why I'm always looking on here and other sites NEVER PAY RETAIL!!
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Nuzi,
Why in the world does Shimano name all their casting reels with a C and all their spinning reels with an S for the non-Japanese market?
CLEAN AND DRY
NRX

Post by NRX »

Mark,
Great freaking question! Honestly ive wondered that before but couldn't tell you why. I'm gonna make a few calls tomorrow and see what I can find out and let you know....