Ultrex

CCCAnglers

Ultrex

Post by CCCAnglers »

I’m looking for feed back from anyone that owns the new minkota Ultrex before I spend $$$. I currently own a Fortrex. Please PM if you own one and would like to share your thoughts. Thanks
Alexphon

Re: Ultrex

Post by Alexphon »

I too would like to hear opinions before I go out and buy one or talons.
201Pro

Post by 201Pro »

I have no personal experience with this unit ... but I understand that there are MG sponsor pro's who have given up their sponsorships to buy the Ultrex on their own nickel and installed on their boats. I believe that alone says more than any of us weekend warriors experiences!!
Chris
=========================
2004 Ranger 521VX, ETEC250HO
8" Atlas Hydro Plate, 25p Tempest+
Hotfoot/ProTrim/4-bank Dual Pro
2x Blade Series Power Poles
Minn Kota Fortrex 112
Lowrance HDS12 Carbon & Gen3
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Well, I pulled the trigger and bought the MinnKota Ultrex after reading all the reviews and deciding if it would be better than Power Poles or Talons. I installed it this week and went to the lake yesterday for the final set-up and trial run. WOW !! This is the best investment I've made for fishing in the last 20 years !! There was about a 12mph wind blowing and I hit Spot Lock and stayed right where I was with in just a few feet , and this was in 30' of water !! The only real change is it swung the boat around to face into the wind (so, that's OK) and then kept me right on target and I didn't have to do a thing !! I changed baits, re-tied, got a soda, wondered around the back, and still, I was on spot !! PLUS, with the new US2 sonar, when I hit the pedal I have ZERO interference in my HDS8 !! If you're a Tournament Fisherman, this thing is an absolute MUST !! So now, THE WIND IS MY FRIEND, LOL !!!
2007 "Numb Nut"

Ranger Boats-Mercury Motors
Minnkota Ultrex -TRP Batterys
Raymarine - Troll Bridge
Gloomis - Shimano
Pepper Jigs - Robo Worms
Rich hamilton

Post by Rich hamilton »

So is it safe to say this is a replacement for power poles etc? RR
If I don't meet you no more in this world Then I'll see you in the next one. Don't be late... Don't be late... Stevie Ray/Hendrix
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Rich hamilton wrote:So is it safe to say this is a replacement for power poles etc? RR

Well, that depends on where and how you fish. If you're a big tournament guy, you need both. If you fish Clear Lake or the Delta a lot, either one, but I'd go with poles. But, if you fish anywhere else, I'd go Ultrex. Unless, you have an unlimited amount of funds and could go both. I went with the Ultrex as I mainly fish the deeper lakes and it doesn't take going far off the bank to be in over 12' of water. AND I can be in 100' fishing a rock pile at 30' and stay on it.
2007 "Numb Nut"

Ranger Boats-Mercury Motors
Minnkota Ultrex -TRP Batterys
Raymarine - Troll Bridge
Gloomis - Shimano
Pepper Jigs - Robo Worms
Rich hamilton

Post by Rich hamilton »

Good points!

I fished McClure four days last week and I was amazed how fast I drifted off the school while trying to drop on them. I would love to have poles and that new trolling motor but as you said funds are a factor! RR
If I don't meet you no more in this world Then I'll see you in the next one. Don't be late... Don't be late... Stevie Ray/Hendrix
201Pro

Post by 201Pro »

Rich hamilton wrote:Good points!

I fished McClure four days last week and I was amazed how fast I drifted off the school while trying to drop on them. I would love to have poles and that new trolling motor but as you said funds are a factor! RR
If you mostly fish lakes, Ultrex makes sense ... if you're mostly on the delta ... it's a toss-up. The ultrex is like a single PP in shallow water. BUT ... when you're fishing in deeper water, greater than 6-8' ... the Ultrex wins. But like someone else mentioned, BOTH would be ideal! :lol:
Chris
2004 Ranger 521VX, ETEC250HO
8" Atlas Hydro Plate, 25p Tempest+
Hotfoot/ProTrim/4-bank Dual Pro
2x Blade Series Power Poles
Minn Kota Fortrex 112
Lowrance HDS12 Carbon & Gen3