flouro recommendations (I usually use P-line)

DDG

flouro recommendations (I usually use P-line)

Post by DDG »

I wanted to get some suggestions and feedback on flouro. I usually use pline 100% flouro and Tactical however after yesterday I am having second thoughts, both my spinning reels got completely entangled and costed me valuable tournament time. I might just stick to what I know and love which is pline but wanted some more suggestions.

-DG
Freefall

Re: flouro recommendations (I usually use P-line)

Post by Freefall »

If you can stomach the cost Sunline Sniper and Shooter have done very well for me.

I use braid to floro on all my rods so I don't go through as much line as most. I've been happy with the Tactical for certain techniques but I prefer the Sunline for Cranking and flipping a drop shot on the D.
Fear does not prevent death, it prevents life.

You've never lived until you've almost died and for those who have fought for it, life has a whole new flavor that the protected will never know....
Lancer

Post by Lancer »

I exclusively used PLine and love it. If its reaction baits I go to Floro Clear which is easier to cast but not as invisible as 100% Floro Carbon which I use on all my other reels. My spinning rods are all braid to Carbon and you use less( as was said ) and you don't have line memory issues. My jig and dropshot I use 6-12# depending on water clarity. I also condition my line on the reels with silicone spray it helps a lot. Good luck
MichaelB

Post by MichaelB »

I'm not sure on a spinning reel if you are going to be totally happy with any floro .... especially if it has been spooled up for a while and developed some memory. I used to use P-Line 100% Floro on all my reels, spinning or casting but now I use Sunline Sniper, I use 660 yard spools to try to eliminate some waste.
BigBassDaddy1190

Post by BigBassDaddy1190 »

P-line is much thicker and stiffer than sunline.

I pretty much use all sunline reaction fc or sniper.
Charles

Post by Charles »

P Line Halo is awesome!
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

10lb braid on spinning rods no leader.

I used floro while I lived in California, Once I moved to Florida it wouldn't hold up to the pads and grasses.
A friend here in Florida used all spinning gear and he showed me there was no need to put a leader on 10lb or less braid.

I haven't had a reason to change back .
TR177 Ranger/ Mercury/Lowrance/ Ghost TM
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Dick,

I do a braid to fluro leader most of the time and you dont get that big ole jump off the spool. I do keep a spool with 100% fluro and for that I use the 8lb Stren Fluro Cast. I have been extremely happy with it. Three pointers regardless manufacturer -
1. Dont over spool the line leave less then you would with mono
2. Stretch the line out - hook it up to your hitch and walk down the street and stretch it out some as you spool back up.
3. Always click the bail over by hand and give it a lil snug tug between each cast.

Happy Bassin Brother!
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
Rattle

Post by Rattle »

I am actually very surprised I am the first to mention Seaguar Invix. It is the best I have used for the money.. BAR NONE!!
Jerred A Jennings

Post by Jerred A Jennings »

Lots of great Line out there.
I have been using P-Line for 20 years and never had had an issue. And Im not on there staff. Could be how the line was put on the reel or the type of bait that caused the Issue. I have had Issues with all brands listed above and It’s typically angler error.
Hope this helped you.
DDG

Post by DDG »

thanks for all the insight, I have been using pline for the last ten years and decided to continue to do so I am just gonna move on to tying a shorter leader with my spinning gear. I just have alot of trust in the strength of pline and dont think one bad experience should rule it out. I have caught all of my biggest fish during competition on pline. Recently a 6.4lb clear lake hawg on 12lb tactical flouro, fish was pretty deep in the grass and too me for a ride!
WRB

Post by WRB »

I started using Sunline FC Shooter in the mid 90's thinking it would give me an advantage being marketed as less visible to bass. The fact FC is heavier then water it tends to sink and the fact it has less coeffiecent drag going through water you have less bow in the line under water when fishing underwater lures.
The less visible claim is meaningless to bass, meaningful to bass anglers.
The less underwater bow in the line does help with strike detection along with cutting through water easier then mono.
Those are the positives, the negatives can out weight them.
Poor knot strength compared to equal diameter premium mono, this is a big negative.
High memory compared to most mono, need a line condition to help wet the line.
Stretches the same as mono, however when stretched it weakens, big negative.
Bass are not line shy fish, line can affect a lures action but bass rarely if ever avoid striking because they see the line.
Sunline Sniper and Shooter are both good.
Seaguar Abraix has less memory and better knot strength then Invix surprisingly.
Toray Bass High Class 100% FC is good line.
All the other brands tend to be .001 to .002 larger in diameter to fool the user it's stronger.
A line condition like TangleFree or KVD is a must with FC line.
Poor knot strength is the reason so many knots have been introduced since FC hit the market.
Braid to FC leader is popular on spinning reels, 2 poor knots is questionable, to reduce line twist.
I rarely use FC anymore and have gone back to Sunline Defier Armilo Nylon for baitcasting and Maxima 5 lb Ultra Green for finesse spinning applications.
Tom
PS, do you wonder how we managed to catch all those giant bass before FC line.
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

DDG wrote:thanks for all the insight, I have been using pline for the last ten years and decided to continue to do so I am just gonna move on to tying a shorter leader with my spinning gear. I just have alot of trust in the strength of pline and dont think one bad experience should rule it out. I have caught all of my biggest fish during competition on pline. Recently a 6.4lb clear lake hawg on 12lb tactical flouro, fish was pretty deep in the grass and too me for a ride!
That P-Line Tactical is good stuff - I have 20,15,12 lb so ive never put it on a spinning reel. But to me the Tactical is on Par with Sunline shooter.
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
dvkawboy

Post by dvkawboy »

Your gona have issues with all floro on spinning reels it’s the trade off . Floro has a lot of memory and if your putting it on your reel at home without a spooling machine it’s going to get some twist . But the softer the floro the better management you’ll get on spinning . I use p line halo for flippin , it’s a harder line and transfers strikes on slack line a lot better . For spinning gear I use sunline assassin, it’s soft manageable and as far as floro’s go it feel a lot closer to mono .