Why I love the Delta so much

monte300

Why I love the Delta so much

Post by monte300 »

I’m not a tournament angler and I have no business being one. I simply love to fish the techniques I like best and the Delta is one of the few places a guy can force his will on the fish. I’m a reaction guy, mostly a red squarebill. Where else can a guy catch fish in two feet of water in the middle of the day in the middle of summer? I certainly can’t do that at places like Don Pedro or Melones. Some days I’m the windshield and some days I’m the bug. Like a blind squirrel finding an acorn, I hook up with a big fish on occasion. I always tell people if it were about always catching fish, I would have taken up golf ⛳️ years ago!
Last edited by monte300 on Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
mark poulson

Re: Why I love the Delta so much

Post by mark poulson »

monte300 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:54 am I’m not a tournament angler and I have no business being one. I simply love to fish the techniques I like best and the Delta is one of he few places a guy can force his will on the fish. I’m a reaction guy, mostly a red squarebill. Where else can a guy catch fish in two feet of water in the middle of the day in the middle of summer? I certainly can’t do that at places like Don Pedro or Melones. Some days I’m the windshield and some days I’m the bug. Like a blind squirrel finding an acorn, I hook up with a big fish on occasion. I always tell people if it were about always catching fish, I would have taken up golf ⛳️ years ago!
Amen!
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
BASNFAN

Post by BASNFAN »

Boy, I am with you on that! I belonged to a club back in the late 70's/early 80's. It was fun and I learned a lot but it just was not my thing. Since then, I was just a weekender, until I retired, when I fished nothing but weekdays. The only pressure I felt was from trying to put my partner onto some fish. I am 81 now, and still love to fish, just not as much as I used to. And recently, not much at all, at least until I get this hip thing straightened out. I used to fish a Nitro but now I am in a multi-specie Fisher as I find its much easier falling off a bass boat than out of my multi-specie.
Fish bite twice a day - half hour before I get there and half hour after I leave.
monte300

Post by monte300 »

BASNFAN wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:29 pm Boy, I am with you on that! I belonged to a club back in the late 70's/early 80's. It was fun and I learned a lot but it just was not my thing. Since then, I was just a weekender, until I retired, when I fished nothing but weekdays. The only pressure I felt was from trying to put my partner onto some fish. I am 81 now, and still love to fish, just not as much as I used to. And recently, not much at all, at least until I get this hip thing straightened out. I used to fish a Nitro but now I am in a multi-specie Fisher as I find its much easier falling off a bass boat than out of my multi-specie.
I’m 63 and I got my hip fixed three years ago. Now that I’m out of pain fishing is fun again and I have to be more careful to avoid falling out of my bass boat.
JVGondal

Post by JVGondal »

Delta is a special place. It’s different and challenging
One day you catch em real good. Next time you think you know how to fish all you put on the deck is the skunk !
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

monte300 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:32 pm
BASNFAN wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:29 pm Boy, I am with you on that! I belonged to a club back in the late 70's/early 80's. It was fun and I learned a lot but it just was not my thing. Since then, I was just a weekender, until I retired, when I fished nothing but weekdays. The only pressure I felt was from trying to put my partner onto some fish. I am 81 now, and still love to fish, just not as much as I used to. And recently, not much at all, at least until I get this hip thing straightened out. I used to fish a Nitro but now I am in a multi-specie Fisher as I find its much easier falling off a bass boat than out of my multi-specie.
I’m 63 and I got my hip fixed three years ago. Now that I’m out of pain fishing is fun again and I have to be more careful to avoid falling out of my bass boat.
Falling out of your boat is way overrated! :wink:
CLEAN AND DRY
monte300

Post by monte300 »

That’s why I now wear an inflatable vest all the time. A shoutout to my big brother for hooking me up!
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

monte300 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:44 pm That’s why I now wear an inflatable vest all the time. A shoutout to my big brother for hooking me up!
Me, too! As my friend Barry says, "Getting old ain't for sissies".
CLEAN AND DRY