Boat shipping help

Share vehicle info.
NRX

Boat shipping help

Post by NRX »

Hey guys I was just curious have any of you purchased a boat from out of state and had it delivered to you if so was it all worth it would you do it again? Was it expensive? I've been looking for a boat and have found some great deals out of state like Texas, OKC and a few others but I've been a little hesitant till I can get more info. Is it worth it or not so if any of you could help out have some info let me know I'd really really appreciate it! Thanks guys!
Ringer

Re: Boat shipping help

Post by Ringer »

I am in Arizona and bought a boat off BBC that was in Iowa. Had the owner get all the stats on the motor and send detail photos. I had his bank set up an escrow account and put $5000 into that. Took a cashiers check for the balance and met him halfway at a lake in Colorado. Tested the boat, signed the release for the deposit and gave him my check. Took a 750 mile drive for both of us so no small deal. Was very happy with the deal.
NRX

Post by NRX »

Hey Mr. Ringer thank you so much for your info really appreciate it that's a great plan which I think I'm going to use. Like your a saying no small deal but i don't mind driving for the right boat thanks again buddy for helping out!
Ringer

Post by Ringer »

No problem and hope you get a great boat.
fishindds

Post by fishindds »

Sorry to be late to the party....

Just did what you are asking about. Bought a boat from dealership in Texas at a really fair price (have seen the same boat for $3-5K more here) !! I went on UShip.com and placed ad to have the boat brought to Napa. I received 5 bids and 3 were all within the same $100 range and 2 were much higher. Ended up paying $1500 for transport and it arrived on time and it great condition. Gave the guy $100 tip! He called me along the way and gave me updates on his progress as he traveled this way.

I got a screamin' deal on 520DVX in Wisconsin 5 years ago and was able to connect with a guy in Minnesota that was willing to bring it here while he was laid off work. He was happy to make some cash and I treated him to some "REAL" bass fishing at Clear Lake. I paid him a grand cash and ponied up for his gas and 2 nites motels so It was probably around the same amount as I paid UShip to bring my Z21 from Texas.

Lots of luck ! I suggest having a boat shop inspect and test your boat thoroughly before agreeing to buy. Bought the first one from and individual and the second one from a dealer ..... I think the other fellow that chimed in ( that set up the escrow account) did a cool arrangement. I just did not have the time to drive to anywhere near Texas to get the boat!! Hope to see you on the water.
Doc
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

I bought mine in Michigan, saved about $6K so it was easy to justify the $400 in round-trip airfare and $1500 in transportation charges.
I have a friend that buys cars from around the country and got transportation information from him. Very worth while. Michigan boats only get used about 4 months a year and only when the weather is good. garage kept or covered to protect them from winter, too!!!