2001 E'rude, 225 starting issues.

CATCHEMCARO

2001 E'rude, 225 starting issues.

Post by CATCHEMCARO »

So I have a 2001 225 Evenrude fuel inj motor. Starts straight off the trailer every time no problem. Take off to my first spot and shut her down and do some fishing. Go to start her up and some times she starts and some time I have to turn the key several times before she fires up. When she does fire up after trying several times she kicks out a little smoke. She runs great once she's started, but I can't sign up for another Wild West event or any other tournament until I know this engin will fire up every time.

I took it into the shop and the guy said he was 99.9% sure it was my kill switch. The little platic clip that goes on the switch. Went out yesterday for the first time after he fixed it and sure as shinola, After my first run, she needed several cranks. It's not every time, but it's to often. Im open for any input from guys who have been running these boats for years. I love the 2001 vx520 that this engin is pushing, but Im ready to get a brand new motor.

That leads to my next question. Other then this starting issue, this boat is cherry! I love it and it's paid for. Is it worth while to put a brand new engin and all the complementary stuff that goes with it on a 2001 Ranger?
Thanks
Rich
Last edited by CATCHEMCARO on Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WWW.SCBBBC.COM
http://catchemcarobaits.com/index.html
mrobinett

Re: 2001 E'rude, 225 starting issues.

Post by mrobinett »

I had the same problem with my 97 Merc 150 EFI. For about 6 months it ran great but would just die even on plane. I took it to Anglers Marine and they said it most likely is the wire harness. It worked for a couple of months and did it again on our last stop of the tournament and had to come in on the trolling motor. I was done. My choice was buy a new boat, buy a used boat or put a new motor on. A new boat wasn't an option(wife wants a new kitchen), buy a used boat and possibly somebody elses problems or a new motor. I opted for a new Mercury 150 Fourstroke. My 18'6" Champion is in perfect condition and I had just put new bearings and springs on the trailer. I'm happy with the decision I made.
CATCHEMCARO

Re: 2001 E'rude, 225 starting issues.

Post by CATCHEMCARO »

Thanks for the info. My boat runs great after it starts. Never dies while running. Seems to have the starting problem after it's been ran and warm. It'll go back in for a machanic to guess at it again and get paid for it. Sure miss my kick boat. I'll get this wrinkle ironed out and it should all be good since this engin only has 450 something hours on it.
WWW.SCBBBC.COM
http://catchemcarobaits.com/index.html