Lake Casitas Rangers, why am I not suprised

Ron T.

Lake Casitas Rangers, why am I not suprised

Post by Ron T. »

So my buddy and I are fishing Club Med Lake Casitas. Not realizing his boat did not have a separate cranking battery we unknowingly ran his batteries to the point we could not get the big motor started. Its getting close to closing . Thinking well I will just call the front gate and the Ranger boat must have the means of jump starting or if nothing else we could get a tow right ? Nope, Silly me thinking the park staff cared at all about boaters . The person at the gate told me that the ranger was not authorized to jump start or tow a disabled boat and suggested calling AAA. Even if AAA did do jump starts on the water we would have had to wait 35 days for them to pass the stupid 35 day quarantine . I was speechless . Well kinda , I knew what I wanted to say but I'm learning in my old age to just bite my lip and looking for other solutions is probably best. Am I missing something here or is that nice ranger boat and shiny badge just there for looks ?

So with that said I want to thank Rich Tauber for taking the time from his pre night tournament sign ups to go talk to the guys at the boat rentals and the rental staff for coming out and getting us a jump. Greatly appreciated !!! Thanks guys.
TonyM

Re: Lake Casitas Rangers, why am I not suprised

Post by TonyM »

Sorry to hear about your situation. A similar rule was put into effect at my work, because people were suing for any damages caused by jump starting. You try to do some people a favor, and it comes back to bite you. Probably another situation where a few bad apples ruined it for the majority.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

That is lousy. They are certainly not there to serve and protect the public.
Having said that, I think every boater should carry tools and wiring so they can jump their cranking battery from their TM battery.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Wolfeman

Post by Wolfeman »

I keep a set of jumper cables in the battery compartment.
- Wolfeman
"Don't take life too seriously. You're not getting out alive." Bugs Bunny
jaime7819

Post by jaime7819 »

Forestry rangers have the same policy. Ask me how I know?
briansII

Post by briansII »

Sorry to hear of the troubles you had, but like others said, it's a liability issue and why policy dictates they do not jump start you.

Jumper cables would not help you in that situation(no separate cranking battery) if you don't have someone close by. I carry one of these in my boat now. https://no.co/

briansII
Ringer

Post by Ringer »

I have never checked under the cowling of my Merc 250 but in the late 80's my Merc 200 had a pull rope under the cowling and it was easy to pull start. Did it many times.
Mike Esposito

Post by Mike Esposito »

I feel for you but we live in a sue happy world now. Rangers at lakes stopped being helpful several decades ago. I will tow a stranded boater to safety but the last time I jumped a battery I popped every circuit breaker in my Champion.
Mike