Quagga muscle clarification

SKIPER

Quagga muscle clarification

Post by SKIPER »

If I go to Lake Pyramid on the 1st day of the month, what day of the month can I then go to Lake Castaic? Without going into detail and embarrassing myself or the employees, I'm getting different info from each place. Appreciate clarification perhaps from someone who did the immediate turn around.
MikeR

Re: Quagga muscle clarification

Post by MikeR »

SKIPER wrote:If I go to Lake Pyramid on the 1st day of the month, what day of the month can I then go to Lake Castaic? Without going into detail and embarrassing myself or the employees, I'm getting different info from each place. Appreciate clarification perhaps from someone who did the immediate turn around.
Skiper,

Haven't done it yet.

My understanding is a full 8 days out, plus you must be dry on your return. That would put you eligible to come back to Castaic on the 10th, with your quarantine period being the 2nd through the 9th.

I left Pyramid yesterday afternoon and I believe Monday the 20th is when I'm allowed back in.

Theoretically, if they were to be counting to the hour and you left at noon on the first, you could return at 1pm on the 9th. The paperwork is not that detailed and only shows the date and lake I was on, no time. So I doubt that they are that detailed and you would be sure to be stopped if you showed up on the 9th.

Mike
Always lookin' for mud lines!
https://signarama.com/locations/ca-ventura/
mrobinett

Post by mrobinett »

Mike, are the inspections just the normal inspections going into the lake? And, also, awesome updating you are doing. Thanks.
MikeR

Post by MikeR »

mrobinett wrote:Mike, are the inspections just the normal inspections going into the lake? And, also, awesome updating you are doing. Thanks.
Hi, They will check everything, every compartment, and make you drop you're motor. Just make sure you are dry before you go. Open every compartment and make sure there is no moisture, condensation, or water, period. Stop and Gallion's Deli, check you're livewells and drop your motor to make sure no water is in the water jacket and cooling system or your're livewell plumbing system, just before you head up the hill for the inspections.

I've found water in my livewell that was shaken out of the system from the drive there, after completely drying my livewells. Ditto on the motor.

Mike
green weenie

Post by green weenie »

Not to high jack the thread BUT. We got popped today. Raised and lowered the motor a couple of times at home, and again this morning before we were checked. Lowered motor for inspection, nothing. Raised motor up after he was done in the back and it dropped a few drops. Failed. He was polite about it but the lady was extremely rude and walked off without giving us any other info. Am I now quarenteened from the lake? When can I return? Dry, dry, dry of course.
Otay Michael

Post by Otay Michael »

It's all so stupid. there's always going to be water somewhere in the boat, or the motor. Common sense is definitely not too common.
Otay Michael

All I need to get into the money would be the four I usually get along with a 20# kicker.

Own no boring art: www.seewald.com
Name written in the book of life.
MikeR

Post by MikeR »

green weenie wrote:Not to high jack the thread BUT. We got popped today. Raised and lowered the motor a couple of times at home, and again this morning before we were checked. Lowered motor for inspection, nothing. Raised motor up after he was done in the back and it dropped a few drops. Failed. He was polite about it but the lady was extremely rude and walked off without giving us any other info. Am I now quarenteened from the lake? When can I return? Dry, dry, dry of course.
Not a hijack.....That's a good question. If you were coming from Pyramid, and had honored the 8 day quarantine before your inspection, or had been to any lake in CA, you should be able to go back tomorrow the way I interpret the rules. You've passed the 8 day quarantine already and now you just need to be dry. Why did you have to raise and lower the motor more than once? Was that at the inspector's request?

The final drive up to the main launch is rough, with a number of dips and irregularities, so a lot of "bouncing" can happen shaking out water deep within the water jacket. There's a turnaround spot a 1/4 mile up the road, make this your last stop and re-inspect your boat and motor before heading to the main gate.

I'm not the final word. Call Castaic's headquarters at 661-257-4050 to be absolutely sure. I'm not sure they have thought through the inspection process in it's entirety and a call ahead would be wise.

Mike
MikeR

Post by MikeR »

Hey GW, I just re-read your post and saw you only were asked to raise and lower the motor once. My guess is the woman you dealt with didn't know the policy and here act of rudeness was a defense of sorts.

If Larry was doing the inspections, he if very nice and cordial, but thorough as he should be. Most of the employees are caught in the middle and don't want to comment or aren't exactly sure of the policyt. The first Saturday after the discovery, when they refused to tag any of us on the way out, employees were instructed not to answer questions and told to refer us to the "handout" explaining what had happened.

Mike
MikeR

Post by MikeR »

Otay Michael wrote:It's all so stupid. there's always going to be water somewhere in the boat, or the motor. Common sense is definitely not too common.
Unless you are able to store your boat, motor down, all compartments open, plug pulled, livewell plugs pulled, and inside a garage or building, it is really tough to eliminate all the water especially with all this weather. It can be done though. Raising and lowering the motor multiple times is obviously important. I have and Evinrude Etec and they are notorious for holding water. I was turned away at Diamond Valley for a Wounded Warrior event a couple of years ago for exactly what happened to Green Weenie. A wet dry vacuum could also help pull water or push water (in blower mode), out.

Mike
mrobinett

Post by mrobinett »

AS fisherman, we have to be careful not let a couple of drops of water from our boats get into a quagga infested lake that will send it's water down to Elderberry, another quagga infested lake, and then through a 10 foot tall concrete tunnel under the elderberry dam
and into Castaic. I guess we have to do our part to stop the spread of quaggas.
SKIPER

Post by SKIPER »

Thanks Mike for the input.
green weenie

Post by green weenie »

Thanks everyone. We know it was our fault for not being clean and dry so the decision was right but the attitude from the lady was wrong. We thought we had passed and when the motor was lifted back up as instructed it leaked. She basically walked off without giving us any information. The gentleman was nice