Braid to flourocarbon

Basscat1972

Braid to flourocarbon

Post by Basscat1972 »

Tried a few knots and tested them out in garage. Most of them break at the splice. Is there one that might break at lure before splice. I have not tried the braid on my spinning rod yet while actually fishing, but I plan to this weekend. I think it would be a pain to tie leader every time I break off. Thanks all God bless.
Da0265

Re: Braid to flourocarbon

Post by Da0265 »

I have a very aggressive hook set .. I trust one knot and one knot only... THE ALBERTO's knot is the only one i like and it's easy to tie.. look it up in YouTube.com
Tom Watts

Post by Tom Watts »

For my braid-to-fluorocarbon applications, I typically only use the Albright knot. Compared to some other knots, I got it down easier. In a couple attempts I was able to tie it correctly. I found it to be one of the smallest braid-to-fluoro knots, and it's incredible how strong it is. As far as having a knot break off at the lure, I'm not sure if I can help you there. But I'll tell you what, ever since I started using a spool of braid tied to a fluoro leader for all my finesse spinning techniques, I've saved gobs of money because I don't burn through a bunch of expensive fluorocarbon when I break off. It seems like a bitch to tie a knot like this every time you break off, but after a few times it gets much quicker. And you save money! Here's a video of one of my favorite anglers Aaron Martens explaining how to tie this knot.

Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

I came from California and just knew that all Bass were line shy . Then I got my butt handed to me by a guy fishing 10lb braid, NO LEADER.
So I tried it. I had one rod with light floro and one rod 10lb braid 2/0 light wire hook tied direct.
Braid worked just as well if not better than floro. I'm fishing central Fl., very clear lakes, nothing deeper than 10'. Using a 4" worm tail weighted. It has made me change my outlook on floro leaders.
Guys in the club I joined here use more 20lb and 30lb. braid than I used to and I am still using a floro leader on heavier stuff. But I am throwing more braid with no leader.

So if you are fishing 6lb floro. now, try 6lb braid with no leader, you can always add it on the water.

Good luck fishing
TR177 Ranger/ Mercury/Lowrance/ Ghost TM
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

Da0265 wrote:I have a very aggressive hook set .. I trust one knot and one knot only... THE ALBERTO's knot is the only one i like and it's easy to tie.. look it up in YouTube.com

If you try braid, light hook set, feel fish pull up on rod start reeling.

I am using a medlight loomis 6'6" glx for most of my light work and a reel and easy sweep hook set.
On my heavier rods I have gone to all Phenix Rods and a easier hook set on most apps. with braid.
When punching or flipping or times when you have to get them moving out of heavy cover, I try to rip their lips off.
TR177 Ranger/ Mercury/Lowrance/ Ghost TM
Nick_L

Post by Nick_L »

Sushi King

Post by Sushi King »

I use the 9 to 5 knot super easy it's just a Uni to Uni 9 turns on Braid and 5 turns on Mono-Fluoro
WRB

Post by WRB »

The "FG" is very strong and low profile knot to join FC or mono leader to braid. Like the Albright it's complicated to tie correctly, tied incorrectly no knot works good.
Tom
Winxp_man

Post by Winxp_man »

Rod Martin wrote:I came from California and just knew that all Bass were line shy . Then I got my butt handed to me by a guy fishing 10lb braid, NO LEADER.
So I tried it. I had one rod with light floro and one rod 10lb braid 2/0 light wire hook tied direct.
Braid worked just as well if not better than floro. I'm fishing central Fl., very clear lakes, nothing deeper than 10'. Using a 4" worm tail weighted. It has made me change my outlook on floro leaders.
Guys in the club I joined here use more 20lb and 30lb. braid than I used to and I am still using a floro leader on heavier stuff. But I am throwing more braid with no leader.

So if you are fishing 6lb floro. now, try 6lb braid with no leader, you can always add it on the water.

Good luck fishing

I fish 20lbs braided and get just as many as floro or mono guys in the boat. I dont really see a difference. Unless conditions are tough and line becomes a issue.
tunaman

Post by tunaman »

Sushi King wrote:I use the 9 to 5 knot super easy it's just a Uni to Uni 9 turns on Braid and 5 turns on Mono-Fluoro
Been using braid to flouro for many years, and I too love the uni to uni connection. I use it for everything from 8-10# braid to 6-8# flouro for the So Cal finesse bite, to 80# braid to 20-30# flouro for Delta hawgs.

When I first moved up north, I caught my first DD using 10# braid to 8# flouro :shock: :D

Now that I'm back down south, it is back to the lighter classes mostly.

For the salt, using spectra, I use the uni-uni for lighter lines and use a spider hitch or a big game knot taught to me by a skipper I used to work for.
Tight lines forever!
http://www.tunaman.org

*DISCLAIMER* - This post is in no way meant to be offensive. If you feel it is, please re-read then PM me for an explanation if it still offends?