Flippin & pitching set up for CA DELTA?

Bassmonkey1980

Flippin & pitching set up for CA DELTA?

Post by Bassmonkey1980 »

Getting into flippin and pitching sparce tullies in the tulle fields this season on ca delta, what are some staples of the set up PLEASE INCLUDE hook, weigh ,baits and line size go, any advice will help THANKS WESTERN BASS!
Last edited by Bassmonkey1980 on Tue May 16, 2017 12:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cory

Re: Flippin & pitching set up for CA DELTA?

Post by cory »

50 pound braid or heavier I always use 65 , 4/0 trokar flipping hook and d bomb in candy grass color with a skirt to match always works for me
Bassmonkey1980

Post by Bassmonkey1980 »

That heavy for sparce tullies?
ElGuapo

Post by ElGuapo »

My set up:

Fitzgerald Rods Stunnder HD 7' heavy power/fast tip for pitching senkos http://fitzgeraldrods.com/stunner-hd-70-hvy-new/

Fitzgerald Rods Titan HD 7'6" Heavy/fast for pitching jigs into and around tules. http://fitzgeraldrods.com/titan-hd-1/

30#braid to 20# fluro on Shimano Curado I 7:1

Heavy because sometimes you'll need to horse them out of tules/weeds.
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

Right now I'm running 4 setups for that

A 7'11" flipping stick with 25 lb floro

A 7'6 Heavy with 50 lb power pro Maxcurado

A 7'3" XH with 30Lb power pro Maxcurado.

A 7' XH with 20LB floro

AND

Then I have 2 7'6" XH with 65LB Braid for punching and pitching large (1oz or bigger) jigs and punch weights

All my Rods are Phenix Rods with Curado 200s or Abu STX's . The Curados cast farther for me and the STXs have a better drag for me. I do not tighten them down all the way. I do that because sometimes I will change one over to an extra frog or toad or use one for casting 8" Yamamoto grubs over Pads
TR177 Ranger/ Mercury/Lowrance/ Ghost TM
Bassmonkey1980

Post by Bassmonkey1980 »

Rod Martin wrote:Right now I'm running 4 setups for that

A 7' XH with 20LB floro

AND

Then I have 2 7'6" XH with 65LB Braid for punching and pitching large (1oz or bigger) jigs and punch weights

All my Rods are Phenix Rods with Curado 200s or Abu STX's . The Curados cast farther for me and the STXs have a better drag for me. I do not tighten them down all the way. I do that because sometimes I will change one over to an extra frog or toad or use one for casting 8" Yamamoto grubs over Pads
Thanks again
Last edited by Bassmonkey1980 on Tue May 16, 2017 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

Bassmonkey1980 wrote:
Rod Martin wrote:Right now I'm running 4 setups for that

A 7' XH with 20LB floro

AND

What size hooks weights for the baits thanks?

It depends on bait I am throwing . 3/0 and 4/0 heavy punch hooks on the harder plastics and 3/0 to 5/0 EWG Superline hooks on the grubs and larger senkos and I use whatever will get me thru the stuff I am flipping or pitching. I use a light 3/16s with senkos and grubs when hitting light cover but will have the heavy stuff on deck. Sometimes a slow fall gets them ,but there are days when the fish seem to want a real fast fall. I catch a lot of fish with the old Yamamoto 8" grub, pitching it around small clumps of grass or reeds. When using the heavy straight hooks be sure to tie with a snell knot so the hook will turn as you set to get a better hook set and I have started using the Medlock double weed guard jig in 1/2, 3/4 and 1oz.
TR177 Ranger/ Mercury/Lowrance/ Ghost TM
nivanov30

Post by nivanov30 »

On delta (which is where I spend 100% of my time) - I always use 50lb braid (FX2) for moving baits and 50lb braid + 12lb flouro leader for finesse baits. I only use straight fluoro for light squarebills and jerkbaits (to ensure designed running depth). Sort of best line management and strength...