Does the 2013 Triton 20xs chine walk...?

TDOSoldier

Does the 2013 Triton 20xs chine walk...?

Post by TDOSoldier »

I'm wondering if the 2013 Triton 20xs chine walks...? I know older ones have that reputation. Any quick help would be appreciated before I purchase one. Sorry if this is the wrong section for my question. Please advise! Thank you.
Jesus is Lord of all! Follow Him and He will make you fishers of men as the Scirptures says.... Timothy D. Oliver ><>, Director, CHRISTIAN SOLDIERS MINISTRIES
monte300

Re: Does the 2013 Triton 20xs chine walk...?

Post by monte300 »

Isn't chine walking more a product of prop combination than hull design? I bought a new 2000 Triton TR-19 and they rigged it with a four blade 25 pitch prop. Fully trimmed out running wide open it chine walked and I could never figure out how to drive it without it chine walking, although plenty of guys explained a technique to me, which I was never able to master. I eventually had my 25 pitch reworked to a 23 pitch and never again had a problem with chine walking. It was worth it to me to give up a couple MPH on the top end to improve hole shot and eliminate chine walking. Someone once told me boat dealerships prefer to give you a boat that runs as fast as it can, as opposed to considering hole shot and chine walk.
kb

Post by kb »

The 20XS is a very easy hull to drive but it is a performance hull so with that being said they need to be driven but nothing a little seat time wont take care of for you. I have had several 20XS hulls and they were a great boat. The XS hull runs on a bit more running surface than the prior HP models and much easier to get the hang of.

If I can help you with getting thru this when you get some time in your boat send me a message.

Kent Brown
Triton Boats
California Outdoor Hall of Fame
Ultimate Bass Radio Saturday's on KHTK Sac Town Sports 1140
TDOSoldier

Post by TDOSoldier »

Thanks very much, I'll let you know when and if it works out. Still a bit nervous before I pull the trigger.
Jesus is Lord of all! Follow Him and He will make you fishers of men as the Scirptures says.... Timothy D. Oliver ><>, Director, CHRISTIAN SOLDIERS MINISTRIES
TDOSoldier

Post by TDOSoldier »

Kent, could you give any succinct reply to what you mean by getting use to driving the Triton 20xs? If it's easier to call me here's my Ph# 510-755-4250
WRB

Post by WRB »

Chine walk is usually driver error, over trimmed. Lots of mechanical issues can also cause chine walking like loose steering and unbalanced boat loading.
Reducing prop lift and pitch slows the boat down, you can slow down with your trim and Throttle!
Sounds like you are buying a used boat, have the owner teach you how to drive it, the little adjustments needed, to prevent chine walking.
Good luck.
Tom
drew

Post by drew »

Listen to Kent. The only thing I will add to his post is that the current Trx21 still uses the Tr21xhp hull with a wider deck and it is a phenomenal hull.

All fast bass boats chine walk. The reason they are fast is because of the geometry of the pad which the hull rides on at speed. Learning to drive a fast bass boat that chine walks is not hard. It takes a little time and does require a little more effort. Light turns of the wheel to the left to balance the hull on its pad is the best way to describe it.

From a mechanical stand point it can be made worse if the steering system is loose from worn bushings or air in the system. Some props are less difficult to drive then others. My experience with propping has been it is best to use what maximizes the performance of the hull. The best prop is the one that has a good acceleration, top speed and handling. It has the best average of those qualities. Picking a prop that is less difficult to drive usually hurts all other aspects.

TDOSoldier wrote:I'm wondering if the 2013 Triton 20xs chine walks...? I know older ones have that reputation. Any quick help would be appreciated before I purchase one. Sorry if this is the wrong section for my question. Please advise! Thank you.
TDOSoldier

Post by TDOSoldier »

I really appreciate the advice and comments. I never had that problem in my old 395-V Ranger when trimmed way up nor my present Fisher which does 68 gps by myself in the boat. My son whom I helped get a 2005 Triton Tr-21 X series with a 2014 225 Merc xs in June can't get his boat to stop chine walking. I was in it in July for River 2 Sea frog tourney and it would start to chine walk at 5300 rpm. He said when he rode in a new Phoenix and new Ranger in the Wild West Tourney early this year those boats rode like Cadillacs.... I might need to take a ride in the boat before I pull the trigger. He said he would never buy a Triton again. It's a great boat to fish out of. I don't want to make a mistake because this could be my last boat I purchase. Thanks again. Godspeed.
drew

Post by drew »

Your son should have his boats steering inspected and have someone drive it to confirm how it handles. Phoenix boats are fast and they chinewalk. So do Allisons, Basscats, Bullets, Tritons etc. Fast boats are not for everyone. For me how a bass boat fishes is paramount then rough water handling and then top speed.
TDOSoldier wrote:I really appreciate the advice and comments. I never had that problem in my old 395-V Ranger when trimmed way up nor my present Fisher which does 68 gps by myself in the boat. My son whom I helped get a 2005 Triton Tr-21 X series with a 2014 225 Merc xs in June can't get his boat to stop chine walking. I was in it in July for River 2 Sea frog tourney and it would start to chine walk at 5300 rpm. He said when he rode in a new Phoenix and new Ranger in the Wild West Tourney early this year those boats rode like Cadillacs.... I might need to take a ride in the boat before I pull the trigger. He said he would never buy a Triton again. It's a great boat to fish out of. I don't want to make a mistake because this could be my last boat I purchase. Thanks again. Godspeed.
Dave Wilson

Post by Dave Wilson »

we usually have to raise the jack plate up to control chine walk. It's an amazing difference.
zdbm2004

Post by zdbm2004 »

Hydraulic jack plate. I had a champion that would chine with my 25” tempest and wouldn’t with my 25” trophy. The only way I was able to reduce the chine was to adjust the plate in height.
zmyers
kb

Post by kb »

http://advancedangler.com/features/adva ... ent-brown/

Here is the link to a video series I did with Dan O'sullivan that might explain some of this to you guys. Some pretty basic stuff but also we explain why and how....

kb
California Outdoor Hall of Fame
Ultimate Bass Radio Saturday's on KHTK Sac Town Sports 1140
NoCAL

Post by NoCAL »

There is nothing wrong with chinewalking. If you want a fast boat, you will need to learn how to control said boat. My '04 21X will start at about 63-65 and when I first got it, I was scared to death. That was just with the original 225 Opti. Eventually I got it worked out and could comfortably hit 70-71 with no problems. Fast forward to 2014 when I put a new 250 ProXS on the back. With my prior experience and learnings, I cruised right through 70 and hit 78 a couple hours after break-in. I drove a 19XS with 225 ProXS at one of the Triton Tournaments and it was a squirrly little dude but training kicked in and I was able to get it up to 65 with very little effort. Bottom line is a high performance hull will walk. Set-up and time in the seat are critical to learning how to control it.

NoCAL
linesider

Post by linesider »

Great video Kent. Thanks for sharing. Even us guys that know our way around a bass boat can use a refresher every now and again and learn something new. I always trimmed down on a high speed turn. Had a Triton SF21 for a long time and pulling tubes and skiers, always found trimming down gave me the sharpest turn back without blowing out the prop. Becomes reflex after a while.
monte300

Post by monte300 »

I've found that trimming down, if even just a little cures lots of ailments on the water
TDOSoldier

Post by TDOSoldier »

Again, thanks for all the input. I'm still looking to purchase a boat. Still considering a Triton. They have some great boats and features I really like in some models. Godspeed. ><>

PS And thank you Kent Brown for all your help. And one of the best tips you gave me was to put garbage bags under the tires of the tandem trailer and the boat/trailer easily slides over when pushing the front of the boat. Now my garage can fit a boat almost 2 feet longer in garage then previously thought. Really amazing how it works.
WRB

Post by WRB »

Good video and down to earth advice.
Tom