Thanksgiving Berryessa report

Kyle46N

Thanksgiving Berryessa report

Post by Kyle46N »

Not much to report again. We only put a 3.5 lb smallie and a twin chunk largie in the boat in about 4 hours of fishing. As I'm sure anyone who has been on the lake has seen, there are a ton of "fish" in 40-50 feet of water near any of the main lake coves and points, herding bait. I'm sure it was a mix of every predatory fish in the lake. You can see the bait balls on the fish finder, and they seem to chase a few up to the surface every so often too. I got the smallie on a rattle trap in 35 feet of water ripping it through a baitball, and my son got the largemouth on a 1/2 oz blade bait in 50 feet of water. It was tough getting them to eat on that pattern. I threw a bunch of stuff at them from really finesse type stuff to the rattletrap, etc. If it had been a tourney and I HAD to get that five in the boat, I think we could have just hammered away with the blade bait and rattle trap to get a few more reaction bites. We went exploring though, since this is only our second trip to the lake. I kept looking for some other pattern than that 50 foot depth, but couldn't really find much. The backs of coves were devoid of anything other than coots.
Winxp_man

Re: Thanksgiving Berryessa report

Post by Winxp_man »

Dang would have thought the bite would be on a bit better.... this happened to my brother and I about a month ago. It was crazy! They where in 10-30’ of water though. We landed 6 fish with one #3 LMB. At first there was no action whatsoever! Then I took my phone hooked it up to a snap swivel and let it down to see if it was even bass.... well after a few try’s there they where! A gang of fish! In the 15-20’. At one point we came across a group that filled up the fish finder screen! And not one damg hit! When we got to the dock I spoke with a couple of other anglers and they had the same experience. O_o

Here is a video link from my IG account that I got! Haha

https://instagram.com/p/BZZCEnrhH3Z/
Kyle46N

Re: Thanksgiving Berryessa report

Post by Kyle46N »

We didn't need the phone because we could see largemouth and spots coming out of the water eating the bait. It was here and there, but definitely could see the color and pattern on them. That's a cool video though! I would like to go back next week, but I have ZERO clue as to how I can get a better bite if that's the pattern again on the lake. The one thing I didn't do was throw a jerk bait. The majority of the fish I saw in the 50 foot range were suspended around 25 feet. You could see them harassing schools of bait, causing them to ball up. Maybe if I threw a deep diving jerkbait, with long pauses maybe they would come up to eat it. I'll probably head out there again next week. I like a challenge.