Issue w/ HDS 7 Gen 3 not showing current location

Moderator: Ken Sauret

TRIXGOTAFISH

Issue w/ HDS 7 Gen 3 not showing current location

Post by TRIXGOTAFISH »

Quick question for you guys as i'm somewhat new to the newer gen Lowrance units.

This unit came with the boat i just purchased so it's been used and had a navionics card in it i'm pretty sure but it didn't come with a card when i got a hold of it.

Anyway yesterday i quickly hooked up power to it to test it out and it fired up but it never showed my actual location??

Do i need to reset something back to factory settings?

I know they have their own internal gps so i found it strange that it never finally showed my location???

I checked what setting i could and it did have the navionics card as it's preset so i switched it to lowrance instead (not sure if that's correct or not)

Any help is appreciated!
Edd

Re: Issue w/ HDS 7 Gen 3 not showing current location

Post by Edd »

Where did it show you?
TRIXGOTAFISH

Post by TRIXGOTAFISH »

Edd wrote:Where did it show you?
It didn't show much of anything!

It showed what looked to be a generic looking land mass and you could zoom in and out but i couldn't recognize the area and it never showed any street names etc??

Wish i would have took a quick vid or pic to help explain as i'm probably not doing a very good job of it verbally lol

Thanks for the help Edd (if it's easier to communicate via phone please pm your number and i'll call you tonight)
Edd

Post by Edd »

Some things to look at.
1 make sure you are not in ‘simulator mode’
2 try zooming IN extremely close.
3 make sure you have a clear view of the sky.
Yes a pic would help us.

Edd
TRIXGOTAFISH

Post by TRIXGOTAFISH »

Edd wrote:Some things to look at.
1 make sure you are not in ‘simulator mode’
2 try zooming IN extremely close.
3 make sure you have a clear view of the sky.
Yes a pic would help us.

Edd
I'll double check all those and will snap a pic or quick vid tonight after work!

The one thing i did not do was have a clear view of the sky it was inside my garage when i tried.....however my Hook 5 at the helm seems to work fine inside the garage??
TRIXGOTAFISH

Post by TRIXGOTAFISH »

Here are couple quick pics from the other night

The first pic attached is zoomed out

The second is zoomed in

So it shows my general location when zoomed out but no detail when zoomed in so maybe it is just interference from my garage?

Guess i should try to bring the boat out in to open air to see what it shows the strange thing is that the Hook 5 at the helm shows all detail zoomed in or out??
Last edited by TRIXGOTAFISH on Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Edd

Post by Edd »

What do you expect to see when zoomed in to 20ft on land? How far is it from your garage to the nearest MAIN street?
TRIXGOTAFISH

Post by TRIXGOTAFISH »

Edd wrote:What do you expect to see when zoomed in to 20ft on land? How far is it from your garage to the nearest MAIN street?
My bad Ed i was just doing what you said before to zoom in as much as i can lol

Sorry for all the newbie-ness but i think it's just me not used to the HDS series as i had a hook on my last boat and they just look a bit different to me.

I think it's working fine and to compare i took these w the same scale and this is what it shows
Last edited by TRIXGOTAFISH on Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Edd

Post by Edd »

:mrgreen: