My boat was stolen on the Delta!

Droppindrakes

My boat was stolen on the Delta!

Post by Droppindrakes »

My 2006/2007 Gambler bass boat was stolen from Whiskey Slough Marina on Wednesday of last week... It was secured on the private dock where I kept my previous boat off and on for the past 9 months without any incident. I just bought the boat 10 days before this happened and I had ALL of my high end rod and reels as well as the storage compartments stacked full of my seemingly endless supply of tackle, including my big Swimbait collection and I’m just at a loss for words... Of the 30+ rods in the storage lockers and tied on the front deck; I had 8 of them that were custom rods built on Phenix blanks with spiraled guides that took the builder over 2 years to make. They are black with gray stitching and carbon fiber grips. They were equipped with left handed 2017 Shimano Metanium mgl xg reels... I heard they found my boat and I got super excited thinking I’d have her back and I don’t know if there’s a boat out there as perfect for me as she was! She was the fastest boat I’ve been on and handled the water staying smooth as can be at speeds above 70 mph with ease. The front platform was really large and you could comfortably fish 3 people from it and it doesn’t rock back and forth like other boats I’ve fished from... However, my excitement was short-lived, as I found out my boat was completely stripped down to nothing and the hull was abandoned about 45 minutes away by Los Vaqueros reservoir somewhere on Vasco rd. The hull was on another stolen trailer from the boat they abandoned at the marina my boat was taken from. It looks like they launched the other stolen boat and tried to tow my boat out of there with a rope; but the rope got caught in the prop of their boat so they just loaded my boat on their trailer and left... I still have the key to my boat so I’m assuming they couldn’t get it to start up..? (That is what I believe happened although it’s only my opinion and nothing has been verified by the police to confirm my thoughts on what transpired) It’s horrible that people are so shady to steal and dismantle someone’s stuff that is very personal and valuable to anyone who is serious about our sport! There’s a few items I had, that no amount of money can replace, thus, catching these people so they cannot do this to anyone else would be extremely gratifying. Please be on the lookout for parts and gear that come up for sale anywhere on the web that may have come from my boat. I’ll list some of the items below and if anyone has any information please do not hesitate to reach out to me as I’m working with the San Joaquin Sheriffs Delartment and they’ve been very helpful so far. Here are some of the items (*all reels are left handed):

-Motor was a 2006 250hp Mercury Optimax Pro XS w less than 200 hours on it.
-Lowrance HDS 10 ss fish finder & Chartplotter
-Lowrance HDS 8 ss fish finder & chartplotter
-motor guide 24V 82 lb trolling motor
-3 Dobyns Champ XP rods/ 2018 Metanium DC hg reel, 2017 Metanium mgl xg, 2018 Curado DC xg
-2 Megabass Destroyer Vision one ten jerk bait rods w/ Aldebaran reels
-Megabass Destroyer Valdivia frog rod with Lews team Pro mag reel (black and gold)
-Megabass 7’11” telescopic punch rod with Lews team pro mag reel (black and gold)
-Phenix k2 rod with a 2016 Antares reel
-favorite summit rod with Lews pro team ti (purple and black Bassmaster classic version)
-Megabass orochi xx dropshot rod with Shimano Stradic 2500 hg reel
-Daiwa tatula elite AGS guides dropshot rod with Daiwa ballistic 2500 reel
-Phenix k2 dropshot rod with Daiwa ballistic 2500 reel
-Phenix Recon Elite 733 with a 2017 Metanium mgl xg
-Dobyns Champ xp Swimbait rod with Daiwa Luna reel
-Megabass Destroyer Levathian Swimbait rod with Shimano Calcutta Conquest A reel
-Dobyns Champ XP Swimbait rod with a black Daiwa Shrapnel round reel
-Evergreen Combat Stick with a Daiwa Steez 2017 reel

I had many other rods and reels of mixed brands; St. Croix, Megabass Orochi XX, G-Loomis, 13 fishing rods and reels, inception C, Concept Z, Lews Team Pro, tournament MG, Shimano Curado k.... Etc.

Thank you,

Sia

408-315-6938
Attachments
1FACABD0B-763E-463D-B719-8F1BE117773B.jpg
1C79A5A24-6A51-4D77-BC70-D7F2A2F2AD2E.jpg
15F0C76AB-E4C1-4495-B5E6-550B76B81674.jpg
MichaelB

Re: My boat was stolen on the Delta!

Post by MichaelB »

Very unfortunate .... guessing this happened at night (?)
You might post the serial number of your Mercury.... if you don't have it a Mercury Dealer that serviced it should.
Hopefully you had all your tackle insured.
brian c

Post by brian c »

That’s horrible news. I thought about storing my boat there also. But no way now. I launch there a lot and always see shady people around. I think it’s Time to stay away from there. So is the storage place responsible for for this or what . Seems like they should, as I assume they put the boat out there, right ?
Spanky211

Post by Spanky211 »

Sorry man... HANG EM HIGH!
MichaelB

Post by MichaelB »

Droppindrakes wrote:The hull was on another stolen trailer from the boat they abandoned at the marina my boat was taken from. It looks like they launched the other stolen boat and tried to tow my boat out of there with a rope; but the rope got caught in the prop of their boat so they just loaded my boat on their trailer and left...
So they arrived at the marina with a tow vehicle, towing a different stolen boat+trailer, launched their stolen boat and tried to tow your Gambler, which was tied off to the dock, out to the sticks to strip it, and failed to do so. They then abandoned their original stolen boat, loaded your Gambler on the original stolen trailer and drove off with your boat and stripped it...... if I am reading this correctly. Certainly not trying to diminish your loss.... but these guys sound like some real clowns.
Last edited by MichaelB on Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

That is really lousy!
I hope there is a special place in hell for people who steal.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Droppindrakes

Post by Droppindrakes »

MichaelB- Yes you pretty much nailed it! Or at least that’s what my detective work came up with... Total A$$ Clowns indeed!! I don’t know about who is responsible although I’m sure it is myself... I doubt any insurance company will cover the full amount of tackle I had in my boat as I’m quite the tackle junky! I will try and get the serial number for my motor and post it once I do get it... Where do these people sell THIS MANY items as I’m sure the market is limited to folks like us...? Now I’m thinking if it would be worth it to keep the hull and replace everything or just get a new boat?? I was totally diggin the gambler ride it was saucy as all heck!! Such a waste of a beautiful boat and some of the best gear that anyone who knows better would appreciate... How much do these guys sell a barely used motor like mine for ??
MichaelB

Post by MichaelB »

Check your PM Droppindrakes ..... The question of whether you keep your hull or not would be how bad they thrashed it removing all of your equipment. Did they take your fuel tanks, oil tanks, Mercury controls, dash gauges ? ...... You still have a trailer ..... which is a plus.
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Terrible thing to have happened. Hopefully your insurance will help make up some of the loss. Will keep my eyes open for your stuff. I'm on a few fishing sites daily.
2007 "Numb Nut"

Ranger Boats-Mercury Motors
Minnkota Ultrex -TRP Batterys
Raymarine - Troll Bridge
Gloomis - Shimano
Pepper Jigs - Robo Worms
Kevin Linehan

Post by Kevin Linehan »

Sorry to hear about this! So infuriating! I’m the Western sales rep for Mercury Marine. Get me your serial number and I can have this engine flagged as stolen.
JPFish

Post by JPFish »

This is just terrible. Hope your insurance covers your loss and gets you back on the water soon.
Morph808

Post by Morph808 »

You have pics of the custom Phenix rods and other unique sticks? I frequently window shop local sites and forums. Will keep a close eye out for you.
monte300

Post by monte300 »

What brand was your old boat and what did it look like? I keep my bass boat at Whiskey Slough and used to have it launched the night before and tied to the dock. On a few occasions I saw another bass boat tied to the dock like mine. Your experience and that of the man with the stolen Phoenix has me freaked out. Forget the early morning bite it's getting launched at 7:00AM from here on out.

It's really sad, when I was a kid you could leave fishing boats and tackle out all night in your campsite. It's not other fishermen, it's common thieves fellas.....
Last edited by monte300 on Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AP

Post by AP »

First it was B&W and the stolen Phoenix and now Whiskey slough. I wouldn't leave my boat out overnight anywhere in the delta unless I was sleeping in it. Sad
Droppindrakes

Post by Droppindrakes »

Ok I was able to contact the shop that had done work on the boat in the past and they were able to provide the serial number for my motor. It is 1E001941 and once again it is a 250 Mercury Optimax Pro XS... Thank you everyone for the kind words and Monte my other boat is a 97 Ranger 519 SVS and if you have had your boat tied up to the dock at whiskey then I’m almost positive you have seen my old boat there as well... It was the one with a hundred rods tied on the deck! LOL! I’m kidding about a hundred but I did get the comment “you think you have enough poles” by most people who saw me... Hopefully, with the serial number provided this guy won’t be able to cash in on my stuff...? I was informed by the Gentleman at Boatmasters that my motor actually has the serial number on the block and not just on the bracket so that should help some..
MichaelB

Post by MichaelB »

AP wrote:First it was B&W and the stolen Phoenix and now Whiskey slough. I wouldn't leave my boat out overnight anywhere in the delta unless I was sleeping in it. Sad
Unfortunately, the two boats you listed, are not the only two Bass Boats stolen from the Delta. We had a Contra Costa Sheriff in our Club who was on the water in a Delta patrol boat. I don't know what the recent history has been but two years ago there were multiple bass boats stolen, from a marina that I can guarantee you have fished out of if you fish the Delta. Same MO..... cruise around Marinas in a boat, in the still of the night and and cut loose fully rigged boats out of slips and tow them out of the Marina to the sticks and strip them.

One would have to be insane to leave their $40k, $50k, $60k, $70k boat tied up overnight and hope for the best.
Spanky211

Post by Spanky211 »

Yep, and 8 to 10 years ago there was a bunch of boats in the discovery Bay / Brentwood area getting stolen from driveways, front yards, even disconnecting/cutting locks on people's boats at night connected to their trucks and riding away in the witching hours of the morning untouched... I know I was one of them.

I don't think these assholes ever get caught either, it's a fucking joke. Hope you're insurance does you right, Mine did thank god!
monte300

Post by monte300 »

Droppindrakes wrote:Ok I was able to contact the shop that had done work on the boat in the past and they were able to provide the serial number for my motor. It is 1E001941 and once again it is a 250 Mercury Optimax Pro XS... Thank you everyone for the kind words and Monte my other boat is a 97 Ranger 519 SVS and if you have had your boat tied up to the dock at whiskey then I’m almost positive you have seen my old boat there as well... It was the one with a hundred rods tied on the deck! LOL! I’m kidding about a hundred but I did get the comment “you think you have enough poles” by most people who saw me... Hopefully, with the serial number provided this guy won’t be able to cash in on my stuff...? I was informed by the Gentleman at Boatmasters that my motor actually has the serial number on the block and not just on the bracket so that should help some..
Again super sorry to hear about your loss. At least it's your prized lump of fiberglass, as opposed to losing a loved one. I'm pretty sure I've seen your old boat. A bunch of rods on the deck of a solid white Ranger. Mine is a silver and blue 2000 Triton TR19. Electronics don't work, older trolling motor and worn carpet. Runs good, rides good, good fishing platform and the nearly 20 year old 175 Ficht still goes like a striped ape. I contacted Fernando and never again will I leave it out unattended overnight.
Droppindrakes

Post by Droppindrakes »

I just wanted to clear up something as I saw someone posted a comment in regards to being hesitant to store their boat at whiskey slough Marina. I don’t want to give them any bad press because they’ve been nothing but good to me ever since I became a customer almost a year ago... They have an indoor storage facility that is huge and has giant locking doors that are surrounded by cameras and employees/customers who live onsite at the area where they have their waterfront trailer hookups... I wouldn’t hesitate to store your boat here as it is very safe to do so and like I said I was doing it with leaving my boat at the private dock so that I could get on the water before or after hours and I did so without incident for 9 months and then I got my new boat and should have been more careful to lock it up or not leave my things out to deter anyone looking to steal a boat... All it takes is some precautions and theft deterants and these people who steal peoples boats would have just gone on to the next easiest one for them to take... I made it way to easy for them and that’s why I wanted to clear the air and say that Whiskey Slough marina is an awesome place to store your boat and I still have my old boat there and definitely plan on keeping my replacement boat when I do get it there as well. It’s a really secure place as long as you take measures to lock and secure your boat up if leaving it on the dock after hours but if they are keeping it inside for you then I know they’ve not had any incidents in terms of theft or anything else. The employees are awesome their and I didn’t want them to have any business shy away because of my post; my intentions were to get the info out to the group of fishermen on WB who could use the information to help catch the people who did this to hopefully prevent them from doing it in the future to anyone else! Thanks everyone!
monte300

Post by monte300 »

I have been storing my boat at Whiskey Slough for 6 or 7 years now and have been leaving my boat out after hours the night before I fish the entire time. I have been very lucky to not have my boat stolen and it could have something to do with outdated electronics, aka nobody wants my stuff. :D I will never again leave it out after hours going forward. At any rate I've had mostly good experiences there and the guys that handle our boats, Fernando, Brian and Ben are first rate dudes and they do a great job. Surprise them with donuts on occasion, they like that. I feel my boat is very secure at night as long as I don't have them tie it to the dock. I personally have had some run in's with the owner and that is probably more of a personality conflict than anything else. The price went up to $199 a month a couple years ago and that includes up to 6 free launches a month. That's what most places charge for a secure unit and there's no valet service like we get at Whiskey Slough. I'm 59 years old and scheduled to get hip replacement in December, so not having to launch my boat saves wear and tear on my body making me feel better when I get home.
BM

Post by BM »

There are some very similar cases in Contra Costa County. I can't go into detail but I would suggest that you talk to Contra Costa County Sheriff, Marine Services Unit. The counties Dispatch number is 925-646-2441. Good Luck