Duck Season: Where to stay away from

scooterb

Duck Season: Where to stay away from

Post by scooterb »

I've searched and read some great threads for coexistence etiquette with fellow duck hunters. I am not from around the Delta area and have only boated/fished the Delta 3 times. I try to do my map studying before heading out to have a game plan. But with the water fowl season that just opened, I have read and been told to stay away from Frank's Tract. Where else are popular water fowl hunting areas? At the moment, I hope to launch out of Paradise Point and fishing the White Slough. Second thought was to launch a little more southwest out of Orwood and going south towards Discovery Bay and possibly crossing over to the Old River and Middle River. Lastly, my 3rd consideration is to head a bit more north west and possibly target striped bass in the Montezuma Slough.

If anyone knows of and can share of known water fowl areas close to these launches so that I can plan to stay away, it would be greatly appreciated. I am aware of an area close to Paradise Point and Franks Tract that I will staying away from for sure.

Thanks in advanced!
ash
SpeedBump

Re: Duck Season: Where to stay away from

Post by ash »

My Observations and Im not a River Rat is that most of the ponds and still water areas are going to have blinds. Mildred, Lil Mandi, Franks Tract also areas that have some still water like the northern part of whites, beaver, sycamore, hog etc... hell ive seen them off the Mo and in Connection - truth is they are out there - just be mindful of a spread and blinds if you see them dont go cuttin through them go around - cause they have guns. Also too the ones that get me are the john boats that are turned into a blind - i was flippin the tules once and went hugh thats interesting make a long pitch and i hear a voice - hey guys were hunting here the camo pulls open and there is a boat - so yeah dont be like me.
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

I've also run into camo boats just tucked into a recess in the tules. No decoys to give them away. It was a surprise, to say the least.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
scooterb

Post by scooterb »

Thanks for the heads up. I just don't want to launch in an area that is a primary a duck hunting area. Could either 1) accidentally ruin someone's hunting spot or 2) ruin my day after a long travel to the Delta.
scooterb

Post by scooterb »

How about Mildred? Is that a spot to stay away from?
cdrake

Post by cdrake »

Mildred is a popular spot for duck hunting and you will find a few blinds through there. The reality is, it's duck season and ducks like water and there are hunters scattered throughout the delta trying to blend into the surroundings.

I am by no means trying to be rude with the following, but I think you are over thinking this approach too much and under the assumption that the sky will be raining buckshot throughout your day and that there is no fishable water. The big flooded ponds are always going to hold duck hunters and as ash mentioned even some of the sloughs. Be observant, as long as your mindful of blinds and do your best to stay out of their way then there shouldn't be an issue. If you happen to come across a couple guys jump shooting out of the tules then simply be respectful and move on without disturbing their spot too much (they are wearing camo after all, they can't be upset if you don't see them). The delta is huge and there are still plenty of places to go where there aren't hunters. Lastly, as a duck hunter myself no hunter wants to be responsible for causing human harm and try to take birds with another unknowing person yds away from them. Granted, I have had buckshot rain down on me a few times but have never had any close calls out there.

You will get more buckshot falling on your head at gray lodge then you will at the delta :lol:
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Also truth be told, once the sun is up and bluebird say 11am till 5pm you are pretty much good to go - just watch for a decoy spread and yeah jump shooters - thats what caught me off guard that and the geese hunters that were in the MO shootin geese that were 200 yards up and over tower park that were raining buckshot on us - those guys were just clueless - we bailed from the area - the nice part is a bass boat is faster then bird shot :lol: Like everything be respectful and its all good - the delta is a great fishery even in the fall
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/