Keithech Fat 4.8 Funky Swimming

Hookset5

Keithech Fat 4.8 Funky Swimming

Post by Hookset5 »

I've been throwing the Keitech 4.8 swimbaits for about a year and the last couple rigs I've made haven't allowed the tail to wiggle STRAIGHT behind the bait but rather the tail is 'bent up' and not in line with the body when I retrieve it. Anyone know what is causing this? I use a weighted hook. 4/0 VMC 1/16 OZ. Is it the weight that's pulling the bait down too much?
Kyle46N

Re: Keithech Fat 4.8 Funky Swimming

Post by Kyle46N »

I've had a couple other brands version of the keitech also not swim correct. I found the tail to be more thin than normal and would basically give way to the water instead of getting that side to side thumping action. I don't believe its the weight that's your problem. I fish e erything from 1/16th up to 1/4 on the Delta with those boot style swimbaits and never had a swimming issue.
WB Staff

Post by WB Staff »

Alan Fong (Sacramento Fisherman's Warehouse) checked in on this question saying...

Kietech always swim straight if left in original package. Make sure when putting in hook your getting it straight as possible. That can also change the action.
Hookset5

Post by Hookset5 »

My bad fellas, it was a Berkley ribshad swimbait, not a Keitech FAT. Im not sure how they got in my box but I'm glad it's not my rigging. They have a "cut" to apparently make the bait wiggle but it makes the tail lift instead.
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Hookset5 wrote:My bad fellas, it was a Berkley ribshad swimbait, not a Keitech FAT. Im not sure how they got in my box but I'm glad it's not my rigging. They have a "cut" to apparently make the bait wiggle but it makes the tail lift instead.
I think with whatever brand swimbaits that come in a clam shell package, it is best to leave them in the package or a store them in such a way that the tails stay truy strait if they get a bend in the tail it will affect the action. I'll admit I havent thrown the larger Ribshad but i have not had issues with the 3.25's - good topic of discussion.
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
Larry Hemphill

Post by Larry Hemphill »

I have been throwing the 3.8 Keitech swimbait a lot recently, and have had very good results. Even hooked a big fish at Berryessa (assume it was a bass, but lost her). I just wish the head was a little stronger. It is usually one and done!
Hogbassing

Post by Hogbassing »

As for the one and done. If your using the screwlock for as big as you can with the screwlock. For the other swimbaits I find you have to use smaller hooks to let the body have as much movement as possible. I also use the ball heads
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

For the 3.8" and higher small swimbaits the Blade Runner underspin and swimbait head is hard to beat! I am sure Lunker Larry can attest to this as well. They pair up perfectly for hook size, hook keeper and come through the grass very well. A lil super glue does the trick as well to keep the baits pinned after multiple crushes.

I do always find it interesting that guys will gripe about catching fish - im catching too many fish and my bait isn't holding up :shock: I'll be honest I am more then willing to spend .50 cent or a buck a bait per fish each outing vs all the expense to go fish and not get bit. - These are GOOD problems to have!

rs.jpg
rs.jpg (9.27 KiB) Viewed 3802 times
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/