Camp far west

Inland fisheries advocate

Camp far west

Post by Inland fisheries advocate »

Just wondering if anyone has tried Camp Far West. With the last few weeks of warm weather, I would think their moving up

Thanks for any info....
ACRon

Re: Camp far west

Post by ACRon »

I was there 4 weeks ago and marked lots of fish in pre-spawn positions. I haven't had a chance to go back. Good luck.
Larry Hemphill

Post by Larry Hemphill »

I was never a big fan of the lake but have fished it many times in years past

I always found that the east side (afternoon sun) of the upper north/south arms would attract lots of early season bass

Needs the afternoon sun rays

I remember a great sunny, warm afternoon in early March with early water temp about 54. About 3 in the afternoon, surface temp was 60. Shoreline was excellent for a swift movement to the shallows - bright, warm afternoon sun baking a 6 to 8 foot shallow hard bottom - next to the drop-off into deep water.

Textbook pre-spawn area!!
Larry Hemphill

Similiar experience at Collins Lake

Post by Larry Hemphill »

After I re-read my post, I remembered a similar situation at Collins Lake - but in late February. Again - east shore where surface temp in mid-Feb went from 50 to 57 by late afternoon. A 9 lb largemouth was looking for a quick bite and my red craw crankbait was the meal she was looking for. I believe she hit in 3 feet of water!! Had to bring her thru several tree limbs. I think I started breathing again after I netted her!!
Pat

Post by Pat »

There is a growing good bite. Not sure what this weekend weather will do to it.

Pat
Larry Hemphill

Should back off

Post by Larry Hemphill »

If the colder weather does arrive (heavy snow in the Sierra today), they probably will back off the shore. They usually do during an early spring cold front.