Transducer Placement

Wolfeman

Transducer Placement

Post by Wolfeman »

I have a Humminbird Helix 7 SI at the console of my Ranger R80. This model has the 'stepped' hull.
I followed the instruction that came with the unit and installed the transducer on the step just beneath the transom.
I've included several pictures to show the location.

I have two problems with this unit:
1) When I'm running and make wide turns, like we do when the Delta slough changes direction, the unit will display the depth as 1 foot, and will stay that way for 5 seconds or so. Bothersome, but not a big deal.
2) This one is really annoying. Whenever I go across another boat wake the transducer pops up out of the bracket. It doesn't have to be a very big wake for this to happen.
I've been in email discussions with Humminbird Support. They don't seem to know what to tell me.

Anyone got any ideas? Do I change the transducer location? Modify the existing setup?
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks,
- Wolfeman
Attachments
20200423_120308.jpg
20200423_120304.jpg
20200423_120240.jpg
"Don't take life too seriously. You're not getting out alive." Bugs Bunny
LEN B

Re: Transducer Placement

Post by LEN B »

[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b7dd34b3127ccec0ca2f54d84500000010O00AbtGbho2bsmIPbz4Q/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/[/img]
Hitman

Post by Hitman »

Wolfman, here's my 2 cents.

Regarding item 1...this is normal as youre introducing a lot of noise and varying distances while getting on pad or turning between the transducer and the bottom. It will take your unit a few secs to find the bottom when you level out and can read its own pings again.

Regarding item 2...Looks like you have it in the right spot. I'm not familiar with your transducer and it's clip but from your description I assume its a two part assembly with a mount and then the transducer slides into the mount? If this is the case I would recommend to glue it in place. You can use something like marine rtv which wont permanently glue it in.

Hope this helps.
Hitman

Fish Hard Films
Rippinlipz_510

Post by Rippinlipz_510 »

There should be a screw opening on the front tab that will allow you to secure it so it doesn't use the pop out feature (be careful because this will cause the bracket to break if it has to pop out hitting something) I had the same issue just fishing in the Delta. There's also an optional metal bracket you can buy to secure better to the boat.

Your transducer looks to be a little low, there should be a center line on the transducer that you would line up with the bottom of your boat.
Wolfeman

Post by Wolfeman »

Rippinlipz_510 wrote:There should be a screw opening on the front tab that will allow you to secure it so it doesn't use the pop out feature (be careful because this will cause the bracket to break if it has to pop out hitting something) I had the same issue just fishing in the Delta. There's also an optional metal bracket you can buy to secure better to the boat.

Your transducer looks to be a little low, there should be a center line on the transducer that you would line up with the bottom of your boat.
Exactly what I did (used a screw on the center hole), including hitting something, which broke the bracket. :(
Wolfeman

Post by Wolfeman »

Thanks guys. Exactly the kind of info I needed. Going to check out Doug Vahrenberg to see what he has to say.
The new bracket has been ordered.
Thanks,
- Wolfeman
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

I had the same problem with a Lowrance ducer with a simular shape. I glued it into the inside of the bilge into a large puddle of epoxy. It's just depth and temp, no DI or SI. Works like a charm.
2007 "Numb Nut"

Ranger Boats-Mercury Motors
Minnkota Ultrex -TRP Batterys
Raymarine - Troll Bridge
Gloomis - Shimano
Pepper Jigs - Robo Worms
Jeff C.

Post by Jeff C. »

Mitch wrote:I had the same problem with a Lowrance ducer with a simular shape. I glued it into the inside of the bilge into a large puddle of epoxy. It's just depth and temp, no DI or SI. Works like a charm.
+1 to what he said. Glue it down on the inside of the boat (shoot through configuration). You'll want to experiment with it's position first by weighing it down with sandbags so you find a spot that allows you to keep the signal when on plane.
Wolfeman

Post by Wolfeman »

Humminbird said I couldn't glue the SI transducer to the inside of the hull. It needs line-of-sight.
- Wolfeman