Northern Nevada Bassin

monte300

Northern Nevada Bassin

Post by monte300 »

Hey folks the wife and I are considering retiring in the Carson City/Dayton area and I see Lakes Lahonton and Washoe are in the area, as well as some river. Does anyone know how the bass fishing is in this region? I'm sure because of climate that a four or five pounder is considered a toad and it appears white bass are plentiful. All I know is we gotta eventually get out of this expensive, gawd awful liberal state and I will sorely miss our Delta.
fishbonz412

Re: Northern Nevada Bassin

Post by fishbonz412 »

I've been going to Reno for the past few years, monthly. I don't have first hand info but did a lot of research. There is not any consistent bass fishing near Reno that I could find. There are some places but they are like 2 hours away. I've read reports of some in some local ponds, like on golf courses but if there is, it is being kept secret... The water level at many of these lakes is highly variable, particularly given the recent drought followed by a couple years of epic snowfall.

Which is why I'm back to fly fishing in that region. Eastern Sierra and Truckee rivers...

good luck!
--Sometimes it is best to be quiet and be thought the fool than to speak out and remove all doubt---
monte300

Post by monte300 »

Thanks for reply!
MaxRabbit

Post by MaxRabbit »

35 year Reno local here. Sorry friend... you will be bummed out if you plan on being able to fish within an hour of town. There is Lahontan which has a small population of smallmouth. Rye Patch which is 2 hours away also has some smallmouth but those are the only Nevada lakes close enough to consider "local". Lake Davis, CA has a growing LMB population and is 1hr 15 mins away. Outside of that the closest fisheries with any meaningful populations of bass are Rollins Lake, Almanor, Bullards, Scotts Flat and Folsom. All are essentially 1.75 - 2.5hrs door to door. If you are on foot and don't mind trespassing there are some great golf course ponds that kick out some 5+ pounders.

Reno housing prices are spiking, but still not anywhere near the levels of California. We also have one of the highest rising rent costs in the country and our median income is not keeping up with the rising cost of living. We are on our way to becoming California Jr.

Edit: I should add there are some public ponds along the river to catch rats in and some areas that are good for a float tube about 1.5 hours outside of town and then a couple cooling ponds near power plants about the same distance from here. Feel free to message me if you have any questions.
Herboski13

Post by Herboski13 »

I have a friend who lives up there and from what he's shown me there is some decent bass fishing in the valley primarily around the hot springs up at Wallye's and several of the ponds in the valley but I don't know about access to all of them. Also Topaz lake isn't too far away and while I've never fished it for bass I hear that there's a decent smallmouth population and again this is anecdotal but one of the guys I was talking to at Topaz lodge a few years ago said he stuck a 7lb largie up there before. I do know that there is a lot of good trout fishing by you on both forks of the Carson, Topaz, and basically the entire 395 corridor so there's always that too.