Delta Stripers

BAble

Delta Stripers

Post by BAble »

Anyone finding stripers on the San Joaquin side of the Delta? I am taking a young man out this week and am trying to get him into some fish. Thanks in advance for any info that might be shared.

b able
floater

Re: Delta Stripers

Post by floater »

We caught over 20 stripers recently by boat. About 1/3 shakers & the rest keepers. Topwater in the mornin and 15 to 25ft when the sun is overhead. Mainly on north side of False River above Franks, False River near Big Break, Santa Clara shoal, and San Andreas shoal on the SJ River. Except for fishing over the shoals, we were always looking for steep sloping shores (bluff walls) with deep water nearby during the day. Unlike bass fishing, stripers are always on the move. Meaning you gotta keep moving to different locations all day. We probably hit 25 spots besides those above. We got most of our bites wherever there was moving current. Hope that helps.
BASNFAN

Post by BASNFAN »

Hay floater, I understand top water in the morning but what are you doing when fishing 15 to 25 ft during the day? Trolling? Tossing deep divers? etc.
Fish bite twice a day - half hour before I get there and half hour after I leave.
floater

Post by floater »

Was fishing with a newbie and he was setup with live minnows with 1 oz striper rig. Meanwhile I was fishing with several paddletail swimbaits (underspin): bone color, shad color in both 5" & 6". On my bassboat & focusing on the graph & depth, we drifted slowly using the trolling motor as little as possible. Got bit more with the 5" sb but that includes shakers. Another note, water clarity & light penetration seemed to affect the bite or their location. With sunny clear skies and ripply water (slight wind), we could catch them about 10 to 15ft. However with smooth calm waters, we had to go deeper to get bites. Gotta keep moving from spot to spot all day.
BASNFAN

Post by BASNFAN »

thanks floater, that was more info than I actually expected. Good on YOU!
Fish bite twice a day - half hour before I get there and half hour after I leave.