Is this a good choice for a swimbait rod?

Trumpster

Is this a good choice for a swimbait rod?

Post by Trumpster »

I have been fishing more lately and like the idea of throwing medium sized (1-3 ounce) swimbaits for both bass and stripers. I have my eye on a 7'9" Heavy 1-4 ounce rod from Bass Pro called the Johnny Morris Carbonlite 2.0. It sells for $119.00 which is on the upper end of my budget. I plan on getting a Curado 300 with 20 lb mono. Anyone that might be familiar with that rod that can offer any insight would be appreciated.
JL

Re: Is this a good choice for a swimbait rod?

Post by JL »

Take a good look at the Dobyns Fury line. 795 would be sweet for your price range and you have BETTER customer service than Bass`Pro!
Trumpster

Post by Trumpster »

Thanks for that JL!
JL

Post by JL »

Yes sir Trumpster! If you call Dobyns rods they will set you up! Gary is the best!
milehi

Post by milehi »

Okuma guide select rods are good for the price
WRB

Post by WRB »

No such thing as a inexpensive swimbait or swimbait rod, your lucky to get what you paid for.
Everyone usually starts out with 1-3 oz swimbaits and progress to 8” 4 oz Hudd etc.
My advice with swimbait rod is add the rods recommended weight use together and divide by 2; for nominal weight. The nominal weight is the max lure weight that rod will effectively cast. Always error with toward higher power swimbait rods. ie, 5 power 795 is ideal for S-Waver 168, not a 200, the 806 power can be used for both.
I would recommend going up to $150 price point, IROD Gen III Heavy or call Gary Dobyns for a refurbished 806 power rod.
Tom
PS, Sunline Defier Armiilo 25# / .016D
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

Thanks for the kind words guys. Much appreciated!!!

We have a Fury 795 SB for $129. It's a super popular rod and it's sweet spot is around 3 1/2 oz baits. It'll do more and less weight than that, but that's the sweet spot. If you're throwing a bunch of 1.5 to 2.5 ounce baits the Champ 794SB would be the better choice. It's in the Champ Series so the price is more than you're looking for but I have several new 794 SB rods that have a different style of tip top guide than I normally use. I marked these down to get rid of them. They're brand new and $100 off.

If I can help with anything just let me know. My email is GaryD@Dobynsrods.com

Good luck fishing!!!!
zethkinnettfishing

Post by zethkinnettfishing »

If you got a different reel you could maybe get a better rod which is more important imo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEHkiFJ5SGc
WRB

Post by WRB »

Take Gary up on his $100 off offer :D
Tom