Looking for a little advice about Folsom

Trumpster

Looking for a little advice about Folsom

Post by Trumpster »

I live only 15 minutes from the Granite Bay boat launch at Folsom lake. Due to Folsom's reputation as a tough lake and our poor track record there my son refuses to fish it. He feels it makes more sense to drive the extra hour each way to Berryessa and that is understandable. OTOH given Folsom's close proximity I am not sure I want to throw in the towel just yet. Should I put in some time at Folsom to see if I can learn what it takes to be successful there or is Berryessa just so much better as a fishery that it is worth the extra travel it takes?

I have a 17' Jon boat (jet) with a new (but rudimentary) Garmin fish finder.

I appreciate hearing from those that fish both lakes.

Phil
Charles

Re: Looking for a little advice about Folsom

Post by Charles »

Put the time in. Its an excellent lake in the spring and into the summer. Things get a lil tough later in the summer. The fall bite can be good if you find them. Winter is slow but there are fish to be had dragging a jig or on a drop shot. With that said, its not Berryessa. Put the time in and fish the whole lake. 15 minutes away makes it too close to avoid. jusy my .02

Good Luck!
Bassfan24

Post by Bassfan24 »

My idea of Folsom Lake was the same as your son, until I hooked into a 6+lbs. spotted bass. Try cranking a 6xd on flats along side that 3/4 jig!!!! You live so close....!
Trumpster

Post by Trumpster »

Thanks for your insights guys. You've encouraged me to try and figure it out. BassFan...what time of year did you get that big spot?
eastbayanglers

Post by eastbayanglers »

My first time there i was on the bank and had no idea what to do or where to go new lake and all. I walked to a rocky area and 3 casts later bam. Drop shot got me 3 total that day on the rocks. 2 hrs fishin mostly scouting and 3 fish 1 was around 2lbs. But not the place to go for Trophys, 'the rocks produce as well as points and docks' like any lake it has times its fire :oops: and times its skunkville :roll:
Phishphinder

Post by Phishphinder »

I agree with the others, put the time in. Folsom can be an excellent lake year round and the lake does have some bigger model spots/largemouth. Although the largemouth population is small there are 10lbers in the lake. Here are a few notes:

Winter - Find the bait and you will find fish. Look in the cuts and off the deeper points. If sun is out fish deeper, if you have cloud cover the fish can be shallower. Also check all the obvious island tops that have hazard buoys. Fish around them. baits- Drop shot with shad pattern worm or small keitech swimbait, A-Rig - with small keitech (slow roll and creep off bottom), Nieko rig 5" senko (work great on steep walls), Underspin with 3.3" keitech, Kietech Finesse Jig twin tail grub, drag tube.

Spring - Island tops leading into spawning flats will hold staging fish. Secondary points leading into spawning bays/creek arms. baits- weightless senko, Underspin (same as above), crank bait, A-Rig, baby brush hog on light shaky head. If the wind is up throw a 3/8 oz chart/white spinner bait with a shad pattern swimbait trailer

Summer- Probably my least favorite to fish because of all the boat traffic, so go early. Fish offshore rock piles, Island tops and the Trees. If the water is just right the trees can be money. I have two senkos tied on for the trees - weightless and the other on a flick shake. Don't be afraid to flip right into the guts of the tree. Also, if the trees are just below the surface run and A-Rig over them and fish will come out of the trees to ambush. There can also be a good top water bite on shallow flats

Fall - Also looking for the bait in the back of the creeks. Small Underspin, drop shot, tube and Senko

Hope this helps.
Trumpster

Post by Trumpster »

You guys are great. Thanks for all the tips!!
Trumpster

Post by Trumpster »

I have a small inexpensive fish finder on my jet boat I used primarily for knowing the depth in the Sac river. About how much do you have to spend for a sensitive fishfinder that allows one to see the line, bait, fish, etc? Suggestions for brand, model are appreciated.