Patterning Highland Reservoirs

BEOHBE

Patterning Highland Reservoirs

Post by BEOHBE »

I live in Northern California and have the privilege of fishing Shasta Lake, a highland reservoir with a predominant spotted bass population.

I want to learn how to best approach any day of fishing there during any season. I’m always wondering what is the bait, the threadfin shad, the crawdads, and others up to? What are the fish doing relative to the weather and the temperature? What considerations am I missing?

Shasta goes through major elevation swings each year, today it’s 92’ from full pool. I consider myself a pretty technical guy, I’ve used Google Earth Pro to look at historical lake elevation data, created waypoints for variations of rock, ledges, ditches, channel swings, have converted that data and imported it into my Humminbird.

But it’s not enough for me. I want to learn the science and biology of the fish and the bait and how Shasta’s elevation changes and the weather’s changes affects all that. I want to have the knowledge any time I’m at the lake to know what is attractive to the spots, why and where. I love technical material, I’d love to have the Dr Keith Jones book Knowing Bass: The Scientific Approach to Catching More Fish, but have trouble with its cost.

I know I know, I want want want. I’m hoping the info is out there and that I just haven’t run across it. Much of the info I’ve currently found does not apply to Shasta. I’d love to be pointed at a book or YouTube videos that directly address all that I’m looking for. If you have ANY thoughts or info on what I’m looking for I’d be forever grateful. I’m willing to share my waypoints for the Pit and Sac arms of the lake in exchange for some good detailed info that addresses all that I’m looking for.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Chad Sweitzer

Re: Patterning Highland Reservoirs

Post by Chad Sweitzer »

I would definitely hit up some local trout guides and ask about the trout and Kokanee habits. Learning when they spawn and what size the fingerlings are when they enter the lake can really help narrow down bait selection.
PB: Spot-9.625 (Shasta Record) LMB-13.27 SM-4.36
WRB

Post by WRB »

Lake Shasta is made up from 4 rivers; Sacramento, McCloud, Pitt and Squaw.
Each river arm fishes differently plus the main lake body.
Shasta also has populations of Largemouth, Smallmouth and Spotted Bass.
Shasta is also a power generation and water supply reservoir. No simple simple lake classification definition.
Tom
Last edited by WRB on Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hookset5

Post by Hookset5 »

TOW
Makes ya appreciate the entire process. A fish on the end of a hook is just the reward for the hunt. They're all different in my opinion. Current and healthy aquatic vegetation, food source, wind direction, moon phase.. lots of science but the fun is in the TOW
Fromthemill

Post by Fromthemill »

Sent you a PM.
WRB

Post by WRB »

Fromthemill wrote:Sent you a PM.
PM Sent is the reason I rarely look at this site, as if there are any secrets that can’t be shared.
Tom