Surprised by Lew's Reels Poor Customer Service

Mark-C

Surprised by Lew's Reels Poor Customer Service

Post by Mark-C »

I own about 40 baitcaster reels and only two of them are Lew's. I purchased 2 relatively high end models two years ago and one of them blew up on me a month ago. It didn't have very many hours on it since I have so many reels. Called Lew's a few weeks ago and they said they couldn't ship any parts so try back in two weeks. I waited three weeks and called only to find out they are only shipping parts for reels still under warranty, try again in a few weeks. I asked if they would stand behind their product since this reel has very low hours and send me a few parts for free so I could do the repair and they responded "probably not". Pretty poor customer service in my book, guess they don't care enough.
Mike

Re: Surprised by Lew's Reels Poor Customer Service

Post by Mike »

Hmmmm....
OG on WB since 1993
bass king

Post by bass king »

Megabass is worse. I've been waiting almost two years for a replacement rod. Was told as soon as they get stock I would be taken care of. Have seen the rod in most shops online and when I inquired was told the next shipment I would maybe get one. Broke another one during this process and mentioned in the 20+ email thread with the same guy and was told "sorry to hear it." Mentioned there are numerous people complaining this specific rod breaks at the tip, which it did for me (making a cast: a first of any rod I've owned in any brand) and was told he was unaware of that. Pretty weak. Won't be buying anymore Megabass rods. Have multiple MB poppers that cost $25 and haven't seen water in a plano box, and they are split down the back and deformed.
Mark-C

Post by Mark-C »

Mike wrote:Hmmmm....
Lol!
Mark-C

Post by Mark-C »

bass king wrote:Megabass is worse. I've been waiting almost two years for a replacement rod. Was told as soon as they get stock I would be taken care of. Have seen the rod in most shops online and when I inquired was told the next shipment I would maybe get one. Broke another one during this process and mentioned in the 20+ email thread with the same guy and was told "sorry to hear it." Mentioned there are numerous people complaining this specific rod breaks at the tip, which it did for me (making a cast: a first of any rod I've owned in any brand) and was told he was unaware of that. Pretty weak. Won't be buying anymore Megabass rods. Have multiple MB poppers that cost $25 and haven't seen water in a plano box, and they are split down the back and deformed.
That sounds pretty bad. Some companies stand behind their products and others don't. I have had great luck lately with Garmin on my Force trolling motor and with GLoomis rods.
gixxer464

Post by gixxer464 »

I've recently seen 2 Lews casting reels blow up. I've never owned a Lews reel, and probably won't ever. I've never seen this happen before on any other reel. Buddy of mine made a long cast with a frog, fish blew up on it, he turned the handle to engage the reel, set the hook, spool locked up and his reel handles kept spinning. Lost the fish. It was hilarious. Two separate reels on 1 trip. Is this a model defect? Or just poor craftsmanship? User error? Lews owners please advise.
Mark-C

Post by Mark-C »

gixxer464 wrote:I've recently seen 2 Lews casting reels blow up. I've never owned a Lews reel, and probably won't ever. I've never seen this happen before on any other reel. Buddy of mine made a long cast with a frog, fish blew up on it, he turned the handle to engage the reel, set the hook, spool locked up and his reel handles kept spinning. Lost the fish. It was hilarious. Two separate reels on 1 trip. Is this a model defect? Or just poor craftsmanship? User error? Lews owners please advise.
In my case it blew up mid cast. The handle would not engage the spool, it just spun freely without doing anything. Opened up the reel and the pinion yoke was broken causing the pinion gear to disengage.
Mike

Post by Mike »

What happened to our Lews thread Stickbait?? :lol:

You know... the one where you said they were the best and never break.
OG on WB since 1993
Mark-C

Post by Mark-C »

Mike wrote:What happened to our Lews thread Stickbait?? :lol:

Mine blew up just after that thread! Too Funny
stickbait

Post by stickbait »

Mike wrote:What happened to our Lews thread Stickbait?? :lol:

I'm not sure... but I think you were being a asse, again..... and it might have gone to poof land...

Just for the record, I never said they were the best or never break...but they have been a pretty darn good product for me...

For me...have been tossing Lews since the 80's and have never had a "blow up" whatever that means... I only have one new model out of ten....I guess the older ones are blow up proof...

All products are good till they break and they all will at some point in time.. I do think with bigger/heavier rods, heavy baits and higher speed reels guy are laying on the casts and can't be good on ANY reel. I know I'm yarding frogs out there hard...Should any reel break..hell no, but its going to happen.

I think if KVD can support them that's good enough for me... and that man fishes for more than all of us on here combined...

I got no clue on Lews customer service with the OP... Parts are scares for a lot of companies right now...stupid covid... might have something to do with honoring warranty customers first..

2 year old reels wanting free parts to fix themself... that's a tough call.. I would have boxed them up with a nice note and sent them in to them...I bet ya they would have fixed them...or at least take photos of broke/bad parts and send a request via email. Good luck Mark-c they really do make good products..IMO

I did find a few reviews
https://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/ ... ll_reviews

Carry on Mike... there's a seat for every butt on this buss..
Mike

Post by Mike »

Ahhh.... the name calling again huh. Much like the last thread that went “poof” :roll: You did not disappoint Mark.

Having flashbacks from high school??
OG on WB since 1993
Mark-C

Post by Mark-C »

Hey Stickbait what I really objected to was I expected to purchase the parts for my reel and they wouldn't sell them to me even though they have them! So somehow I am a second rate customer in their eyes because my warranty ran out. That is poor customer service imo. Maybe parts are scarce but they didn't even bother to find out what parts were needed.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Mark-C wrote:Hey Stickbait what I really objected to was I expected to purchase the parts for my reel and they wouldn't sell them to me even though they have them! So somehow I am a second rate customer in their eyes because my warranty ran out. That is poor customer service imo. Maybe parts are scarce but they didn't even bother to find out what parts were needed.
They probably have an obligation to supply replacement parts to their authorized dealers and repair people, so they hold them back from the general public once the reel is no longer in production.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
stickbait

Post by stickbait »

Mark-C wrote:Hey Stickbait what I really objected to was I expected to purchase the parts for my reel and they wouldn't sell them to me even though they have them! So somehow I am a second rate customer in their eyes because my warranty ran out. That is poor customer service imo. Maybe parts are scarce but they didn't even bother to find out what parts were needed.
Mark-C wrote: I asked if they would stand behind their product since this reel has very low hours and send me a few parts for free so I could do the repair and they responded "probably not". Pretty poor customer service in my book, guess they don't care enough.
I understand.. I miss read your first post as it said you wanted them for free... my bad.

I'm thinking and don't have any first hand info about parts, but I do know that this virus crap has a lot of companies working damage control. They just can't get the stuff they need to supply customers, have you looked at the price of wood lately or the price of a burger. It's crazy. I also understand that they have to supply "under warranty" customers first so if they are short on parts someone is going to get a "no".... I also understand your frustration and yes they should have explained their situation better to you..

Once this covid crap is over hopefully things will get back to normal...but to be honest I think the words "customer service" are slowly being forgot about with so many companies. IMO...so sad.

Good luck out there...
stickbait

Post by stickbait »

mark poulson wrote:
They probably have an obligation to supply replacement parts to their authorized dealers and repair people, so they hold them back from the general public once the reel is no longer in production.
Yep.... thinking your on track...Thanks Mark
Mark-C

Post by Mark-C »

Appreciate your input Stickbait. Its not a big deal, after all its just a reel.
M Pollard

Post by M Pollard »

What is a high end Lews real to you all?Lews Hyper mag is in my opinion is a high end real, and a great real.
super light, 22 lb drag, great real. If you all have issues with the Lews orange crush crap and calling these
high end reals then your mistaking ..Hyper mag are 299 and worth every penny, a orange crush is not a high end real
at 150... I have sold many Hyper Mags, Lews Super Duty 300, and tournament pros and my customers love them
Mark-C

Post by Mark-C »

M Pollard wrote:What is a high end Lews real to you all?Lews Hyper mag is in my opinion is a high end real, and a great real.
super light, 22 lb drag, great real. If you all have issues with the Lews orange crush crap and calling these
high end reals then your mistaking ..Hyper mag are 299 and worth every penny, a orange crush is not a high end real
at 150... I have sold many Hyper Mags, Lews Super Duty 300, and tournament pros and my customers love them
The one that failed with less than 40 hours on it:
http://www.achigan.net/en/tackle/2-reel ... Spool.html
It ran about $250 regular price at most places