Please Help....Motorguide Failures?

Steve Ericksen

Please Help....Motorguide Failures?

Post by Steve Ericksen »

I have a 6 month old 109 digital Motorguide that decided to stop working after a 70 mile drive to a central valley lake.

I have heard that if moisture gets into the motor from rain that a chip or something will go bad & it'll stop working. I was on my way home from Clear Lake last week and drove through some really heavy rain for about an hour and thought this may have been what happened.

My question is, has this happened to anyone? Anyway to find out of this is the problem on my own, versus bringing it to a mechanic or the trollingmotor doctor? I'm in a bind for time because of all my upcoming tournaments. This is the 2nd Motorguide failure....is it time for another Minn Kota?????

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
www.PatTillmanFoundation.com
Trace

Re: Please Help....Motorguide Failures?

Post by Trace »

All I can say is that my Motorguide 109 has been in the shop 4 times in less than 2 years. My last MG lasted over 5 years then the circuit board failed. While trying to buy a Minn Kota locally I was talked into buying the MG 109. I have to say that I think it was a mistake. The problems I have had are 2 times the "totally sealed impervious to moisture and heat" digital circuit got water in it and would not shut off. Then the switch failed, not covered under warranty unless taken in to the shop $40 in gas and time. Then one of the "aircraft" cables failed. Not covered under warranty, that's what I was told when the $60 bill was handed to me. I would call Jay Liu. He's up in Redding and is the best with customer service. He can help you trouble shoot over the phone.
Good luck.
Tracy
Kelly Ripa

Post by Kelly Ripa »

When trailering your boat make sure your pedal is in a toe down position and it COULD help you to avoid pouring water at 65 mph through your electric motors vitals.
LET'S GO BRANDON
Remember ...What the Dormouse said...Feed your head!
bassjhn

Post by bassjhn »

Get advice from a good tech then buy the parts and do the job yourself. More times than not the problem is in the switch and that's a piece of cake to replace. Don't be scared. It's not that tough. As far as replacing cable are conserned get used to it. Cables are a high use part of the motor and they will have to be replaced. I carry a spare with me at all times.
fishwithron2

Post by fishwithron2 »

Used to take it to the shop for cable replacement. It's a easy job as I did the last one myself. Pull the old one out and slide the new one in and align the end of the cable to the pulley which moves the head back and forth. Took me 1/2 hour and i'm sure it could be done in less time.
fishwithron2

Post by fishwithron2 »

P,S.
My partner replace his switch by himself so when the time comes he'll do the switch on mine and i'll replace his cable.
reellittlephish

Post by reellittlephish »

LAOKS15,

If your lower unit is putting dirty water on the gunwale or the console screen after you rack it and get on the big motor, probably have a lower unit leak. Means it goes to the shop. Sorry...

I don't know that much about the newer digital series, but maybe you can check the circuit with a multi-meter to make sure you have power at the pedal.

Micro-switch failure? You can bridge the terminals to check. Part is easy to replace, cables I don't know. Back east people complain the swich cover lets in water after a time. Temporary repair is the head of a tube bait - use as cover.

pedal should be all the way back when the TM is racked. Easy to adjust by releasing the holding bracket on the gator mount and turning the head of the motorguide till things line up. Your direction arrow should be pointing in line with the lower unit.

If I was fishing for money, I'd have a spare Motorguide. Lot of tournament fishermen do. Sometimes you can find a rebuilt one at the repair shop.