Evinrude Motors

ironhavoc

Evinrude Motors

Post by ironhavoc »

I am in the market for newer (used) boat, keep seeing alot with Envirude's on them. I have only owned Mercs, and I know Envirude is out of business now. How many of you would still buy a boat with an Envirude on it

Just looking for opinions

Yes no problem?

No stay away?
jiggin4bass

Re: Evinrude Motors

Post by jiggin4bass »

I would talk to your local marine dealerships in your area and get and idea from them about parts and service. Before buying a boat with a rude on it. I know there still parts for older motors you can get.
Home Of The Original Puffball Jig
Building and fishing custom jigs
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
Whoopbass

Post by Whoopbass »

Reliability: Evinrude
Resale: Mercury
Service Dealers: Mercury

Get an 08 or newer Evinrude or the Merc Pro XS.
birdman920

Post by birdman920 »

I wouldn’t go near an Evinrude ! there may be parts around now ? but give it a few years and they will be scarce !…..
monte300

Post by monte300 »

I’ve had really good luck with my 2000 175 Ficht. The Ficht’s you want to avoid are the late nineties 200 and 225. The E-Tech is a much better engine and I’ve never had a problem getting Boatmasters to work on my engine, the few times it’s been worked on. I suggest checking in your area to see if you can get it worked on and if the price is right, buy it. There should be parts available for a very long time. BTW when I ordered my Triton new I wanted a 175 Optimax, but for some reason that was the only year it wasn’t available. Naturally Mercury built a 175 Opti in 2001. I bought the Evinrude by default, although I’ve always liked the reliability and quiet sound of the Evinrude.
Popper

Post by Popper »

ironhavoc wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:46 am I am in the market for newer (used) boat, keep seeing alot with Envirude's on them. I have only owned Mercs, and I know Envirude is out of business now. How many of you would still buy a boat with an Envirude on it

Just looking for opinions

Yes no problem?

No stay away?
1st: Evinrude not out of business, but they've stopped production and sale of their outboards.

2nd: There are more used Bass boats for sale with Merc's than Evinrudes today.
No reflection on the motor outside of there's more Merc's than Evinrudes on bass boats.

3rd: The choice of Purchasing a bass boat with an Evinrude no different than a Merc considering Mercury no longer building 2 Strokes ProXs motors either.
Parts for Motors of either brand 2 stroke will be around for years as they're mass produced.

4th: 16 years experience running G1 Evinrude ETEC's. Approximate 1100 hours to date on a 200Hp, and over 500 hours
on a 250Hp. These two Evinrude motors have outlast numerous..............outboards newer in date.
-NO ISSUES and are outstanding outboards!

When my 250Hp runs its course I'll be replacing it with a 250Hp SHO.

-Good Luck
Last edited by Popper on Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

Popper well said there are a few nice rangers out the with rudes on them that I wouldn't be afraid to buy some have low hours on them and are loaded.
Home Of The Original Puffball Jig
Building and fishing custom jigs
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
ironhavoc

Post by ironhavoc »

Well, I double checked with head Mechanic at the shop I take my boats too. He said his advice would be to stay away from them. Said he has one onsite waiting over 8 months for parts.

So looks like I may have to pass on any boats that have an Evinrude.

I was wondering how many guys have Envinrudes on their boats?
Popper

Post by Popper »

Ask him how long you’ll be waiting for a new Mercury or SHO outboard today.

BoatMaster estimating 1.0 year BackOrder.
185vsfrog

Post by 185vsfrog »

Maybe Gary or Richard Dobyns could chime in. They both have had Evinrude’s on their Rangers and have put many hours on them.
ironhavoc

Post by ironhavoc »

I would love for others to chime in, especially those that have newer (2016-newer) Evinrude's on their boats now.

Just looking to honest opinions and feedback.

Thanks again guys.
Whoopbass

Post by Whoopbass »

ironhavoc wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:34 am Well, I double checked with head Mechanic at the shop I take my boats too. He said his advice would be to stay away from them. Said he has one onsite waiting over 8 months for parts.

So looks like I may have to pass on any boats that have an Evinrude.

I was wondering how many guys have Evinrudes on their boats?

I heard all the manufacturers were having supply issues and the waits can be long. I could see Evinrude taking longer than everyone else though.

I have a 2017 225hp G2 with 400 hours. I had an injector go out and the VST took a dump within the first 100 hours. Around 300 hours the trim unit took a dump. That had to be costly to fix since the power steering and trim unit is built together into one unit. Everything was fixed under warranty and at the time was done in a timely manner.
Not as reliable as a Honda but as reliable as all the other high performance brands.
monte300

Post by monte300 »

As much as I love my old Evinrude you may want to migrate to a four stroke everything is going that direction
wildthing jr

Post by wildthing jr »

I have a 2013 ranger with 250 etec. In 2015 I had to have some sort of electrical board replaced on the trim tilt switch because every now and then the trim tilt would fail to engage.

In November of 2020 my lower unit failed. Thankfully I was still under warranty. My boat was sold to me as a “new boat “ in 2014 because it had been a flw camera boat prior to me purchasing it. The part was replaced in a reasonable amount of time, but I heard from Greg, the head mechanic at C&C, on a later visit that he was having difficulty finding a lower unit for someone with a comparable motor. I considered myself lucky.

Other than that things have be fine, but I only have 300 hours on it. I never get out fishing enough:)

Best,
J
lobinero

Post by lobinero »

couple of points to keep in mind:
E Techs are a beast. I have a 09 250 with 400= hrs. Im the third owner. Before you buy a boat with a Rude check that you have qualified mechanics in your area. ( just like any other brand, Suzuky et al).
Parts can be obtain, but just like any other brand the problem is on the supply side.
Rude E Techs demand some TLC. Always use X 100 oil and keep up with maintenance specially water pump. Their computer is water cooled!

Don't shy away because it is a Rude, all motors can fail at any time. look into owner sites and you will see. Maintenance is the key to a good problem free life, and a little luck goes a long way.

good luck
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

I still own two Evinrude 250 H O engines. I love the engines and rarely have any issues. In fact I saved a 2019 250 to put on my New 2021 Vexus. I was a staffer for Evinrude for many years and was really disappointed when they quit building engines. Evinrude struggled with dealer support and also with negativity that I didn't understand. Merc could blow 100 engines and everyone expected it, but let Evinrude blow one and it was major news. Evinrude did screw the pooch with the lightening gear case. It simply was too light duty (in my opinion). They finally addressed this but it took them several years to do so. Once they addressed it, all an angler had to do was request a new Magnum gear case and one was shipped to the local dealer along with a new prop because of gear ratio change. They should've addressed this problem much quicker. Evinrude is owned by BRP which is a giant company. I'm told that they'll continue to build parts. I know Richard Dobyns bought one a couple years ago with a 10 year warranty so he's good until 2030 on warranty. I will also add that when Merc produced their current 4 stroke engines that they hit the ground running. They didn't have the usual issues for a new product launch. They can test all they want but the real test is when us anglers start beating them up in real fishing conditions. Merc simply hit it out of the park with new engine. Again, in my opinion, I think this was a huge last nail in the coffin for Evinrude. If given the choice of buying a Merc or Evinrude on a used boat, I'd definetly give the nod to the Merc. Simply because they have the best dealer support and you know parts will always be available. My 2 cents!!
Popper

Post by Popper »

Gary Dobyns wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:58 pm I still own two Evinrude 250 H O engines. I love the engines and rarely have any issues. In fact I saved a 2019 250 to put on my New 2021 Vexus. I was a staffer for Evinrude for many years and was really disappointed when they quit building engines. Evinrude struggled with dealer support and also with negativity that I didn't understand. Merc could blow 100 engines and everyone expected it, but let Evinrude blow one and it was major news. Evinrude did screw the pooch with the lightening gear case. It simply was too light duty (in my opinion). They finally addressed this but it took them several years to do so. Once they addressed it, all an angler had to do was request a new Magnum gear case and one was shipped to the local dealer along with a new prop because of gear ratio change. They should've addressed this problem much quicker. Evinrude is owned by BRP which is a giant company. I'm told that they'll continue to build parts. I know Richard Dobyns bought one a couple years ago with a 10 year warranty so he's good until 2030 on warranty. I will also add that when Merc produced their current 4 stroke engines that they hit the ground running. They didn't have the usual issues for a new product launch. They can test all they want but the real test is when us anglers start beating them up in real fishing conditions. Merc simply hit it out of the park with new engine. Again, in my opinion, I think this was a huge last nail in the coffin for Evinrude. If given the choice of buying a Merc or Evinrude on a used boat, I'd definetly give the nod to the Merc. Simply because they have the best dealer support and you know parts will always be available. My 2 cents!!
Spot on Gary with the Rudes.

Especially with this statement:
"Merc could blow 100 engines and everyone expected it, but let Evinrude blow one and it was major news.
-And I would add with lower units as well.

Love both of my Evinrude G1's (200hp and 250hp).
Ran these motors for over 16 years........
-Zero issues

When my 250hp runs its course I'll repower to the new SHO.
That motor is a torque BEAST in all ranges. And I test drove one on a Vexus VX20.